Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thanks @Kevington , so essentially what you're saying is the Mercury is the same as Basic and Typo... and can be used from now and take it to a higher level which reinforces what you mentioned prior that "its a great all mountain board. If you're not spending much time in the park then its then thats the one, especially if it is cheaper. As someone said above its crazy light and poppy but also stable. You could progress on it but never outgrow it. Its a very popular board for a good reason." ... So even if I've linked my turns well enough, I should be able to progress on this and NOT need the Basic...
Exactly.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
However @Kevington , when people say that the Mercury is "aggressive", what do they mean? I know for sure that the mercury have triax fibreglass that makes it torsionally stiff which also means that it could be a learning curve for me to (feet & knee steer) the board which are strong fundamentals all snowboarders should learn till second nature, of which that's why the Basic and typo which are torsionally softer due to biax... are good for beginners to late beginners to early intermediates?

·
Registered
Custom Camber 158, Skeleton Key 158, Blur 159, National 156, Stale Fish 153, Alpha 158 - 8 Photon SO
430 Posts
You'll be fine. Buy the best board for the best deal you can get and it'll be better than having nothing. I say save the money get the mercury and with your savings put it into lessons if you can.

·
Registered
183 Posts
However @Kevington , when people say that the Mercury is "aggressive", what do they mean? I know for sure that the mercury have triax fibreglass that makes it torsionally stiff which also means that it could be a learning curve for me to (feet & knee steer) the board which are strong fundamentals all snowboarders should learn till second nature, of which that's why the Basic and typo which are torsionally softer due to biax... are good for beginners to late beginners to early intermediates?
Aggressive in this case just means that you can ride it aggressively and it can handle it. It doesn't mean that it will behave aggressively towards the rider. Its not torsionally stiff, slightly stiffer than the Basic maybe but like I said they are in the same category of board so the differences are small. Boards that are actually aggressive and torsionally stiff are in a whole other league (freeride, carve, boardercross, race).

21 - 24 of 24 Posts