Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The rubber bed/cushion, underneath the base plate, has started to peel off. '12/'13 model purchased a couple months ago. Used approximately 10 days.

By the end of my session the rubber piece shifts slightly and sticks out the side of the binding.

I found it odd the paint the rubber was glued to peeled from the base plate and not the rubber from the paint.

Does this seem like normal wear and tear?

I contacted Ride and they said this is not a manufacturer defect.

This is my first season using Ride equipment and not the biggest fan of their durability. I had a pair of RFL's that were warrantied after less than a year and about 20-ish days.

Thanks for the feedback,

·
Registered
12,608 Posts
It's not a defect. What happened is from riding water gets in there. When you go to unscrew, move, etc. etc. it creates suction so when you pull the binding off the board it grips and rips it. All my bindings do this on some level, you learn from it, and move on.

·
Moving to the dark side...
1,428 Posts
In the UK that would be a warranty issue, clear and simple, we have a Sales of Goods Act that is above the warranty, and the law simply state.

That the goods purchased must be fit for purpose...!!!

What that basically means, is that if there is clear and visible signs that you had clearly abused they may be able to argue, but if the straps look good, not beat to pieces etc, then they would have to change them...

Alternatively, if paid for with a credit card, then the card provider would be liable and they would go after the seller who in return would be forced to go after there supplier or manufacturer...

What are the warranty laws in the USA anyway...??? It seems to be very fragmented in my eyes anyway...

·
1,428 Posts
It's not a defect. What happened is from riding water gets in there. When you go to unscrew, move, etc. etc. it creates suction so when you pull the binding off the board it grips and rips it. All my bindings do this on some level, you learn from it, and move on.
Really...??? Not that i doubt you, but that doesn't sound right, i have never had a pair of bindings suck into the board from water. I guess i don't use a set of bindings with a rubber base that is flat though...

·
Registered
176 Posts
da fux? sorry buddy, hopefully ride will at least send you a new pad if not warranty them being the very short time frame

·
Registered
12,608 Posts
Really...??? Not that i doubt you, but that doesn't sound right, i have never had a pair of bindings suck into the board from water. I guess i don't use a set of bindings with a rubber base that is flat though...
Anything with rubber on the bottom will do that to a board. I've had it happen for years you just sort of get used to it and prepare for a little suction cup. It's not a warranty issue if you grab and pull and it rips. I can see exactly where it stuck and why it pulled apart like that. Little glue and go on your way less of a headache and now you've done some of your own repairs on your equipment.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome to Ride Snowboards.
I've pretty much been a Burton guy before this season. Never had any durability issues.

Not sure if I'm just being sensitive with my Ride stuff or if I've been lucky with my Burton stuff in the past.

To me that rubber bottom of the binding seems defective, primarily because how the rubber is still sticking to the paint but the paint peeled cleanly off the base plate. It seems the paint wasn't applied properly.

I know its apples and oranges, however if you've ever had a cheap car paint job, you may know what I mean. The paint comes off in chunks, whether its from inferior paint, surface wasn't clean or it wasn't applied correctly.

Regardless, defective or not. I'll glue it back, if that's my only option.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Anything with rubber on the bottom will do that to a board. I've had it happen for years you just sort of get used to it and prepare for a little suction cup. It's not a warranty issue if you grab and pull and it rips.
Logic would seem to dictate then that binding mfgs would not use rubber to contact the board surface then....or at least the compounds of rubber with this problem.

I can now cross Ride off my list of bindings to try.

·
1,428 Posts
Logic would seem to dictate then that binding mfgs would not use rubber to contact the board surface then....or at least the compounds of rubber with this problem.

I can now cross Ride off my list of bindings to try.
That's what i thought, and i actually went and checked mine to see... Haha

K2 Cinch CTX no rubber
K2 Autoever, no rubber
Flow 5's 2012/13 no rubber
Flow 5's 2011/12 no rubber

Strange that you would use a solid sheet of rubber in that format on a binding though, unless it is designed for cushioning... Which makes no sense, as you would want the cushioning between the boot and the binding surely... That is what i always thought anyway...

·
1,428 Posts

The only video i could find that shows the base, and NO rubber... Well unless it is a blue shiny rubber... Haha

1 - 14 of 14 Posts