Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone compare Machete GT to regular Machete in terms of their flex? Is it just its camber shape that makes it a bit stiffer with everything else being pretty much the same?

Last year's GT is rated as stiff with a 7/10 flex. This year's GT is 5/10 and is labeled as medium. So confusing.. :dizzy:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Can't compare it to the original Machete as I haven't ridden it but as far as I know the board is identical with just the graphic update.
There's a only a couple of mm of camber in there anyways...
I would imagine they might have scared a few crew away with the stiffness rating, maybe?
Its a pretty gnarly board. Good at speed but gives the joints a work out in the chop!

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
Ride has changed their flex scale this year. Most decks rate 2 notches less stiff, but the actual boards are pretty much the same.
Machete GT is still very stiff - realistically quite a bit too stiff for the kind of board it is meant to be. Similar to the Highlife in that respect.

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
Ride has changed their flex scale this year. Most decks rate 2 notches less stiff, but the actual boards are pretty much the same.
Machete GT is still very stiff - realistically quite a bit too stiff for the kind of board it is meant to be. Similar to the Highlife in that respect.
Agree about the GT. And I'd go as far as to say its too stiff for the average rider to enjoy just overall. To really get what you need out of the board you have to downsize a full size from your park length. And at that point your not really getting out of the board what it was designed for. The Highlife though (once the Berzerker came out) always seemed to be positioned as the mach 10 bomber for really strong or big riders. I thinks its nailed that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If anyone cares, I ended up ordering both Machete (154w) and Machete GT (155w).. played with both around the house and frankly they aren't that different.

GT has a MICRO camber, close to none, petty much flat. Flex wise it's between Medium and Stiff.

Regular Machete is flat, I'd say identical in stiffness to GT. Perhaps it's rated as less stiff only because of its flat base vs camber base in GT.

All in all, they are two VERY similar boards, but given that I am into carving/free-riding and not really into park (POPwalls > POProds), GT is what I am keeping and the other Machete is gonna be sent back. Hope this helps someone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts