Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, just got back from a trip to Breckenridge. Tried out my new Never Summer SL w/ Ride SPI bindings. The board is really amazing, love it. The Ride SPI bindings, not so much. The bindings gave me amazing response and the ride was great, but the ratchets wore away the plastic. The ratchets also wouldn't release leaving me trapped in my bindings repeatedly, this all happened on day one. It was a great disappointment and I had to rent a set of Burton Cartels at a local shop for the remaining 3 days of my trip. Needless to say, the Ride SPIs have to go back to the store for a refund. I have 5 days in Utah planned, and I can't deal with this crap.

I could tell a significant difference in response between the SPIs and the Cartels. I'm pretty sure I like a binding on the stiffer side, compared to the SPIs, the Cartels felt a tad mushy. Even though I do ride with a little forward lean, I don't like how the Cartels dictate that I have to ride with 7' when I have them set to 0'. The Cartels were reliable though, were considerably lighter than the SPIs and allowed me to fully enjoy the rest of my trip.

I'm just confused now. I have a great board that I love, but I still am on a hunt for a binding that will meet my needs.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I haven't had the plastic wear out on mine, but I agree they can be a PITA to release more than half the time.

·
Registered
190 Posts
i have problems with last year's alphas too. both toe and heel straps, both left and right feet, all four of them not as easy to release as my 390s. but everything else about them are great - stiffness, straps, cants..

·
Registered
412 Posts
My 05-06 SPi's sometimes had a problem with sticking ratchets. I never absolutely could not get out of them, but occasionally it took a mighty effort. However, I didn't experience any excess wear on the straps. The bindings proved very durable.

My new 09-10 SPi's have easier-releasing ratchets. I really haven't had any problems so far this season.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the same combo this year and i did have the problem of them not releasing. I found that having that ratchet on a spot of the boot that was round made it worse, so i adjusted so the ratchet so it is located on a flatter spot when im locked in and i have yet to have them be a problem since.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The shop would not take them back, but replaced all the ratchets for me. I called Ride and they told me they never heard of the ratchet issue, but if it continues, they would fix it.

If it happens again, I will try to adjust the strap so the ratchet is on a flatter part of the boot as svwannabe suggested. The bindings themselves are great, so maybe all I need is some additional tweaking. Thanks all for the feedback.

BTW.. svwannabe, you're in West Chester AND have the same setup as me. Crazy!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
My 2 pairs of SPI's did the same thing.

I took a little sandpaper and slightly rounded the edges of a couple of teeth on the ladder strap. Right where the ratchet sits when fully cranked up. Just kinda knock the sharp edge off, like detuning a board. Never a problem since

·
Registered
919 Posts
with the ratchets not releasing issue its not as bad as it seems. The problem is that ride's ratchet system isnt exactly the same as everyone elses, what you have to do is just push down on the top of the release lever instead of just pulling it back. Dont know if it makes sense but its designed that was so they dont accidently loosen, if you try to release them like cartels it WILL NOT work unless they were really loose on your foot. Anyhow hope that helps I had the same problem last year and realized it was just my technique now they are fantastic.

EDIT: the reason ride doesnt acknowledge it is there is no "real" issue. The bindings work exactly as intended its user error they DO NOT release like MOST bindings. It is close but not the same release system. if you just push down on the little square like thing on the top side of the release lever they will release very very easily.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
If that really is the case, then Ride can save themselves a lot of lost customers by putting this in their literature. Funny how they don't.

·
Registered
919 Posts
If that really is the case, then Ride can save themselves a lot of lost customers by putting this in their literature. Funny how they don't.
I agree. Before i figured it out i was getting really really pissed. but then i actually looked at the mechanism closely and called myself a moron. Havnt had a problem since.

·
Registered
412 Posts
EDIT: the reason ride doesnt acknowledge it is there is no "real" issue. The bindings work exactly as intended its user error they DO NOT release like MOST bindings. It is close but not the same release system. if you just push down on the little square like thing on the top side of the release lever they will release very very easily.
It's not strictly an ID-10T problem. As noted, I have two pairs of SPi's, and the newer ones are easier to release regardless of the technique applied. So Ride has made an adjustment to the design.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts