Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has a conference in Vail so while I'm up there I figured I'd take the opportunity to try to get in a few turns. Are there any permanent snowfields or glaciers reasonably close to Vail? Another requirement is that the area not be subjected to federal government shutdown.

I have a solid 4x4 so service roads etc. are no problem.

I am thinking about going to St. Mary's if there isn't anything better.

Posted originally in the backcountry travel forum... mods please delete the original post here.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
What dates do you plan on being there? If I'm not mistaken A-basin will be partially open in a week or so. There are some guys that live there and will be by to give you specific dates.

·
Premium Member
7,650 Posts
What are your dates? How good a rider are you, how often do you ride? How good of shape are you in for hiking above 10k' with a pack/board?

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
I was up at St Mary's on Saturday, snowfield has melted down to maybe 100 yard section. I enjoyed the hike but wasn't really worth the turns. Also be careful if you go, lots of ice, rocks and thin ice covering big holes and small rivers :thumbsup:

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm going to be up in Vail this Thursday and Friday, Oct 10-11.

Ewww only 100yds left at St. Mary's????? That blows. I guess that's out. Man, a few more years and there won't be anymore year round snowfields left in CO. :(

I didn't ride at all last year - I was in MS dealing with some family matters. I was comfortable with all the runs at Squaw Valley, off piste KT-22 etc. Same applies to most of the resorts in Tahoe. Hiking above 10,000' is no problem. I'm good hiking up to any summit in the continental US. Nothing above maybe class 4 though. I won't have any climbing equipment and will be solo.

A-Basin partially open in a week huh? That's pretty awesome! Where did you hear that?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts