Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only this year, after probably 8 years of riding, did a start really diving into the history of boarding. I was curious who some of the most influential riders y'all consider to be. You can throw out other names like Tom Sims but I was more interested in riders.
From what I hear it sounds like Craig Kelly is a pretty legit figure in snowboarding history. (the extent of my knowledge is what i learned from Powder & Rails and a few Warren Miller Films)

·
The Rooster King
3,821 Posts
seriously? he's easily the most influential figure snowboarding has ever had. he pushed the level of riding so far when he was on top of the game. hell he still pushes it today....

others:

jamie lynn
mike ranquett
jim rippey
temple cummins
peter line
devun walsh
bryan iguchi
daniel franck
johan olafsson
mike michaelchuck
mike basich
tina basich
circe wallace
damian sanders
tex davenport
rob kingwill
tom burt

there are easily 25-50 more, but these are the legends that have made the shred what it is today

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Why do you say that?
I would agree but i'm just curious of your reason.
I guess u havent seen First Decent where hes standing on one of the scariest peaks in Alaska (Peak 7601) and just kills it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Watch some of Terje's footage from the early '90s and you'll understand. He had so much style and he went big!

Kelly is definitely one of those. A documentary was made about him, Let It Ride, worth an hour of your time.

Noah Salasnek and Bryan Iguchi pushed to skate-style alot into snowboarding. Mike Ranquet could be included in there too.

Watch this, you'll see a lot in influencial riders: Roadkill

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Only this year, after probably 8 years of riding, did a start really diving into the history of boarding. I was curious who some of the most influential riders y'all consider to be. You can throw out other names like Tom Sims but I was more interested in riders.
From what I hear it sounds like Craig Kelly is a pretty legit figure in snowboarding history. (the extent of my knowledge is what i learned from Powder & Rails and a few Warren Miller Films)
Shawn white :laugh: #fail. Terje and Jeremy by a landslide..

Terje Haakonsen.
:thumbsup:

·
The Rooster King
3,821 Posts
this is a really great thread topic for the old geezers like me :laugh:

Terry Kidwell
Roan Rogers
Kevin Sansalone
Chris Roach
Nate Cole
J2
Kevin Jones
Tara Dakides
Victoria Jealous
Andrew Crawford
Jeff Brushie
Ingemar Backman
Axel Pauporte
Todd Richards
Romain De Marchi
Kier Dillon
Mikey LeBlanc
Jermey Jones
Jeff Anderson

·
Registered
321 Posts
lol funny no one wants to mention SW but most snowboarders today know SW. you'd be surprised how many people dunno who terje is.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Shaun Palmer
Shaun Palmer's hair (a legend in itself)

Powder and Rails series on vice.com is a good view of those legends too.

·
The Rooster King
3,821 Posts
what? huh?

no one mentioned Craig Kelly except the 1st post..

the original style master, he put Burton on the map and gave snowboarding style.. that was my biggest idol in snowboarding.. kind of still is

RIP CK
dude, he said Craig Kelly himself on the first post.

yes. Craig motherfuckinmethod Kelly

·
With extra cheese.
1,750 Posts
Too man to lists but the ones that spring forth in my mind are:

Craig Kelley
Terry Kidwell
Tom Sims
Peter Line
Jamie Lynn
JP Walker
Jeremy Jones (both of them)
Travis Parker
Shaun Palmer
Todd Richards
Terje
Nico Mueller
Mike McIntyre
Travis Rice
JP Solberg
Devun Walsh
Gigi Ruf
Andreas Wiig
Marc Frank Montoya

More of a new school list but kind of reflective of not being involved in snowboarding in the early 90's.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Todd Richards, Travis Rice, Terje, Eddie Wall, Devun Walsh, Mikey Leblanc, and Kelly Clark. Cause it's about damn time for the women to step it up. Just now a 1080 in the pipe. Come on ladies.

·
Registered
105 Posts
While not the biggest names, my biggest influences that haven't been names

Dale Rehberg
Matt Donahue
Russell Winfield
Tarquin Robbins

Others..

Steve Graham
Morgan LaFonte
Rob DaFoe