Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Riding Pow in NY

2538 Views 20 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  ThunderChunky
I already know that this is ridiculous so if you don't have anything helpful than just say so. I was wondering if there is any place that might have a "sidecountry" type of riding in NY. Something more west would be cool, but I know Adirondacks is where it's gonna be. Just anywhere I could ride that isn't a ski resort. Maybe a cross country place, might have some mellow hills to ride.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, me and my friends are heading up to Whiteface sometime this year. We are just going to feel it out up there. As for snowmobiling to a place. I found a little public park near me with a 1,600 to like 300 gladed area. It's only 5 miles from me with snowmobile trails leading to it so it should be an easy snow day from college trip. Any one whose been to Whiteface or Gore know if the side country or backcountry there is rideable or is it too gladed.

· Registered
1,647 Posts
I just finished reading the section on backcountry near Lake Placid. Apparently there is a long trail that is either skinable or snowshoeable (is that a word) that spans across several towns with maintained downhill riding areas in between. If I remember correctly they mentioned that it is illegal to cut new trails so the exhisting trails are the only thing that it rideable. The glades may be too thick to ride. But, don't take my word for it.

Also, I destinctly remember them mentioning that trail maps should be available in the Lake Placid area. You really should pick up the book mentioned above.

· Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I live in Western NY though. I actually might when I get a few extra bucks here. Have you been to Gore or White Face, jw cause I was in Stowe last year and by the looks of it, it would be pretty hard to backcountry in the Northeast coast. It is too gladed. I just want to know if Gore or WF has a rideable backcountry.

· Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's true. I was just messing with him, I am getting it. I just figured there would be info out there besides a book. But it's NY so I kinda figured. How does it work in like BC. Is all that backcountry people ride like unowned land or national parks or something? Everything is owned here. The only place left to look is parks, except Upstate a little more.

· Registered
1,647 Posts
That's true. I was just messing with him, I am getting it. I just figured there would be info out there besides a book. But it's NY so I kinda figured. How does it work in like BC. Is all that backcountry people ride like unowned land or national parks or something? Everything is owned here. The only place left to look is parks, except Upstate a little more.
That area around Lake Placid is Adirondack State Park land unless you wander too closely to Whiteface I beleive.

· Registered
895 Posts
hiking trails, lonely woods, farm hills ... i know what your asking for, you want that open shot of land with a nice pitch ... i have the ny backcountry book, its soso ... a tough aspect is the long approach, and with only snow shoes or bootpacking it gets old fast ... zero in on some local terrain, forget whats around it, if its a slope go shred, once you hike some tiny shit in the suburbs you'll have a much better perspective on what's fun and what's too small, what's a lot of effort, time, food & gas and what's not, one thing ive learned is that it takes work, if not your energy then someones else who has done the leg work which translates into "go to this hill and follow the tree line for a great run"

· Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm going to White Face and Gore Mountain this year whenever it dumps, so I'll check out all these places on the way. Are they private, public, unowned. Those pics are pretty ridiculous, can't believe that is right hear in NY.

· Registered
1,647 Posts
I'm going to White Face and Gore Mountain this year whenever it dumps, so I'll check out all these places on the way. Are they private, public, unowned. Those pics are pretty ridiculous, can't believe that is right hear in NY.
That area around Lake Placid is Adirondack State Park land unless you wander too closely to Whiteface I beleive.

**10char**

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.