Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stumbled across this video while browsing around, and I thought I'd share it with you guys...

:eusa_clap:

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
For an instructional video he's doing it wrong, go figure. I've never considered traversing with pivot turns a good way to ride steep pow runs.

·
Super Moderator
6,347 Posts
On fresh relatively untrammeled stuff, I'd be inclined to more big sweeping turns, but when the stuff starts to get a bit used, straight-lining it can be career-limiting :rolleyes: . In those cases, C turns or pivot turns may be more in order. Of course, if you're a point-and-shoot kind of rider, that's fine too. Whatever's most fun and doesn't kill you.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I'm not saying straight lining is the way (all the time), but adding some down hill angle and using speed to turn rather than your body is just better, it's more fluid and helps maintain float anyway.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it looks damn steep (if it looks steep in a video, it is even more steeper in real life) I don't think I have the skill/ballz to charge something of such angle.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,447 Posts
Hmmm... I'd negociate a narrow icy steep passage like that, or to navigate through rocks or an avy cone, but in pow? It's waisting a good run. Don't know how steep it is, hard to judge from a vid, but in fresh >40° I'd never ride like that. This stop and go puts a lot of pressure on the snowpack... Maybe not an issue at that place, but here my rule of thumb is the steeper it is, the mellower turns I try to do. Also riding faster will result in a better float and turning is easier.

Looked at it a second time... I really don't like the vid. He recommends this to be the right way to ride pow in steep in general without differentiation or giving a warning word on avy danger. He said 35cm fresh. For 35cm fresh in certain terrain on certain days, this could be the best way to induce a slab.

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
it looks damn steep (if it looks steep in a video, it is even more steeper in real life) I don't think I have the skill/ballz to charge something of such angle.

Charge it.... Looks a little steep, def not deep powder. If you tried that pivot shit in deep pow you would be all sluffed up.

Also, I charge more because I'm a big guy, I will make stuff sluff or slide way faster than most at 280-290 lbs.

·
Registered
756 Posts
It should be called "Survival tips when you're out of your league"

I was getting mad watching him, just point it down and have fun!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
As others have said this is not riding powder, this is just getting down a steep run.

This is a great way to destroy powder for others and possibly set of an avalanche.

If that is the only way you can ride that terrain stay off it.

Even if you zig zag to slow down you should keep more speed and turn smoother and more gently to put less pressure on the snowpack.

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
As others have said this is not riding powder, this is just getting down a steep run.
Indeed. It is a perfectly acceptable way of getting down a steep section if one is in over one's head, but it certainly is not recommended standard technique.

This is a great way to destroy powder for others and possibly set of an avalanche.
And there is that.

If that is the only way you can ride that terrain stay off it.
Clearly the guy is a better rider than this and could probably ride that section fine. Problem is that he is presenting this approach as 'proper/recommended' approach when it really is a 'fall-back when over matched' technique.

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,460 Posts
Ok guys, having never ridden anything like this, I will ask the silly newb question! As I watch this, I noticed that the slope appears to have been ridden quite a bit already. It's not covered in untracked fresh, and looks a bit bumped out,.. (of course this guy's definitely making that worse, but anyway,)

Even tracked out & bumped up as it appears to be,.. you'd still Go for/recommend "charging it?" (...assuming having the requsite skills to charge a "fresh" slope like that in the first place!) I mean, wouldn't it be a bit like hitting a mogul field at speed? And a steep as shit one at that!

At my current skill level, If I tried to charge that shit, No doubt one of those bumps would probably launch me, careening out of control into the exposed rocks!! :blink: :dizzy: :dunno:

Looking at it, I'm pretty sure I don't have the skills or confidence to ride that slope any other way than the way he's doing it, so I guess that goes quite a way to prove the point that this is probably a technique better suited for a dumb ass noob like me who found himself in over his head! :dunno: (...at least I wouldn't have to "falling Leaf" the whole thing and really fuck up the snow for the next guy!) ;)

·
Registered
756 Posts
Ok guys, having never ridden anything like this, I will ask the silly newb question! As I watch this, I noticed that the slope appears to have been ridden quite a bit already. It's not covered in untracked fresh, and looks a bit bumped out,.. (of course this guy's definitely making that worse, but anyway,)

Even tracked out & bumped up as it appears to be,.. you'd still Go for/recommend "charging it?" (...assuming having the requsite skills to charge a "fresh" slope like that in the first place!) I mean, wouldn't it be a bit like hitting a mogul field at speed? And a steep as shit one at that!

At my current skill level, If I tried to charge that shit, No doubt one of those bumps would probably launch me, careening out of control into the exposed rocks!! :blink: :dizzy: :dunno:

Looking at it, I'm pretty sure I don't have the skills or confidence to ride that slope any other way than the way he's doing it, so I guess that goes quite a way to prove the point that this is probably a technique better suited for a dumb ass noob like me who found himself in over his head! :dunno: (...at least I wouldn't have to "falling Leaf" the whole thing and really fuck up the snow for the next guy!) ;)
If it was still soft like it is I'd charge through it. If it was hard, bumpy and chopped up I'd choose a decent looking path bend my knees and go as fast as I can out of it and start lapping the the terrain park for the remainder of the day!

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
chomps, its fluffy soft enough to blast through the chop and even though it maybe abit steep, its big and open...point, rip and do big sweeping turns...be a tad in the back seat cause you don't want to bury the nose and tomo..bend your knees and keep loose

·
Registered
730 Posts
chomps, its fluffy soft enough to blast through the chop and even though it maybe abit steep, its big and open...point, rip and do big sweeping turns...be a tad in the back seat cause you don't want to bury the nose and tomo..bend your knees and keep loose
BOOM! nailed it.

if its soft, put the pedal down :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,277 Posts

Haven't seen the vid, but I see guys like that all the time.

Not cause they're trying to ride like that, but they're somewhere they shouldn't be.:eek:

Chomps, that's where a big board comes into play, exactly days like that.
2 days after the big dump when it's tracked ta shit.

Big boards are like a big ole Cadillac:huh:, they eat that shit up.:eusa_clap::bowdown:

I know you've been in a big ole boat car, probably owned @ least 5 I bet.:unsure:

Go & rent something @ least 10 or more cm bigger than what you've been riding:thumbsup: but a board that's supposed to be bigger, not just the wrong size.

Me thinks you'll likey.:dunno:

There's a reason you don't see old grannies driving 1978 Honda civics's
Not a very smooth ride.

TT

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts