Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Interesting read and makes me think that it may be a good way to refine ones technique to take them off for some time. (I'm sure that turn initiation wouldn't be a big difference for me, but I rely a lot on the highback leverage pushing through backside carves, I'm pretty sure I couldn't if you'd take 'em away....)
You need to do some surfing.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,461 Posts
You need to do some surfing.
Haha, take a map and look where Switzerland is... we can only surf with the help of sails or kites

·
The Swiss Miss
7,461 Posts
Don't forget airplanes, to get you to the beach.
If I hop on an airplane, the intend is to bring me to pow. Priorities :) snow wins over beach

Reactions: timmytard

·
Registered
696 Posts
If I hop on an airplane, the intend is to bring me to pow. Priorities :) snow wins over beach
Spoken like a true Swiss (as I am), just last night my wife and I went out to dinner with my riding buddy and his wife, after dinner we were saying good bye and I said "pray for snow", then my wife followed that with pray for sun Hawaii, I told her to have fun:laugh2:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been on my NOW Drives with lowbacks most of the season.

I have noticed a slight loss of heel edge control when I try and lay out a real aggressive carve on that side, but I like the response and feeling better for everything else I have done- moguls, steeps, POW, park jumps, and just playing around on the mountain. I do ride in very stiff boots. The other pair of bindings I have mounted on my other board I use regularly are some Ride El Hefes, which are pretty damn stiff. I also have some Union Factory's and Burton Cartels on the shelf, I don't like those as much as the 2 sets of bindings I'm using. I don't think I would like a more conventional binding without highbacks, but I really feel like the NOWs help transmit pressure to edge better. You will always see ignorant haters saying "that looks stupid" or "go back to the 90's" but most of them haven't actually tried anything different in a decade or 2.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'm riding most days in Now Drives without highbacks. I find I like it a lot better. I maybe feel a touch less aggressive on heelside carves (rode highbacks for the first time this season last week when I was traveling and had to rent), but the ankle mobility and freedom is well worth it. I feel like absorb shock and bumps way better without highbacks. I tested it out end of last season, lost my highbacks over the off season, and don't really mind too much. It's a fun, different ride.

That said, I rode some Nitro Teams last week and enjoyed the more precise feel too. I'll probably switch back and forth between the two depending on conditions and how I feel.

Keep in mind Nows are specifically built to be ridden without highbacks, so can't comment on how this would work versus a DIY set up of just pulling highbacks off a Burton or something).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ride on Old metal bindings. I got it when i was about 13 and to this day i love the ride. I took the highbacks off a number of years ago and will never go back. i even rented a board at aximer Lizum in Austrian Alps and made the shop take the Highbacks off. the difference is amazing the If you like more natural control of a board. leave the highbacks at home.

·
Registered
902 Posts
has anyone here ever done this? i know there are a few pros that do it, mainly for riding rails, and it seems to be gaining some popularity. i skate a LOT and i'm curious about trying it out this weekend. just looking for feedback, whether its positive or negative, and what your experience was if youve ridden without em
Years ago, as a noob the rental bindings were step-ins (not to be confused with Burton step-ins that was introduced at least a decade later) that had no highbacks

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,366 Posts
Years ago, as a noob the rental bindings were step-ins (not to be confused with Burton step-ins that was introduced at least a decade later) that had no highbacks

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
The boots had those metal parts sticking out the sides? Snow got in the mechanism and made them hard to use? They were totally shit! Used those my first time snowboarding in the mid 90s...

·
Registered
890 Posts
Yeah, those early step-ins were really, really bad. I was blown away when I got actual bindings.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts