Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
conquered marked glade trails with a fair amount of ease.

it was the unmarked stuff that made me sketch out a bit and i almost bit it pretty hard a few different times.

would you guys consider these wide open or tight? these were a black diamond glade run that i fared pretty well on.

·
Premium Member
7,650 Posts
looks about middle of the road plus not too steep.. tight is when you can barely fit through the trees, wide open is when you can make wide turns through the trees. looks like you could pick some easy lines in those trees without issue.....

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
looks about middle of the road plus not too steep.. tight is when you can barely fit through the trees, wide open is when you can make wide turns through the trees. looks like you could pick some easy lines in those trees without issue.....
agreed. as a first timer, however, is it a good sign that i was able to navigate this fairly easily?

can i find this type of openness at most resorts?

·
Premium Member
7,650 Posts
you have to start somewhere. you can usually find open trees at most places. When you get further west like Tahoe and the PNW the trees are really wide open. You get some super tight trees in the Rockies and in Utah..... They do however do "glading" of areas that thins the trees out to make some nice beginner runs.

·
Registered
454 Posts
That's a nicely spaced tree run. I rode in Whistler, I think a lot of the tree runs there are a bit tight + low hanging branches too.

·
Premium Member
3,156 Posts
Looks like a good place to start.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I've never ridden glades cuz I've never been to the mountain so that run looks awesome to me. Tight enough where it doesn't feel too easy, but spaced well enough that I wouldn't have to wonder if I can fit between a pair of trees. Also not too many branches clogged the lines which is a nice bonus. I'd love to ride there!

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Ha, don't worry they're not that wide. For most glade riding that's about what you get on the east coast and in the mid west. Colorado can get tight as hell but that's riding you really have to work up to. Your glades are pretty flat, but that's a good way to get a feel for them as you don't want to be falling in trees. As for wide open PNW trees, that's only partly true. Hood for the most part has no wide open trees really, mostly tight riding to about as wide as you have pictured only much steeper.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Those are wide as fuck.
Especially for the east coast. I was in some yesterday were I had to duck under some branches, push some out of the way with my hands and stand up straight to squeeze between trees in other spots. One time I must have had my ass out over my heel edge because I clipped a tree with my butt and spun around. Not a bad place to start though.

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,510 Posts
Those are wide as fuck.
:lol:

damn. lol. i was feeling good about myself.
No reason to stop now! :) No matter what you might read here from time to time,..? Nobody really hits 40ft booters their first day or two on a board! :rolleyes: :laugh:

Those are wide as fuck.
:finger1: for a beginner that's really not all that wide - certainly not wide as fuck
Idk,..? Without taking anything away from the OP's accomplishment his "first time" in the trees and all,..! Based solely on what I can see in that pic alone? I can honestly say I've seen our local with tighter groups of "People" on it than the trees in that pic! :eyetwitch: ;) :laugh: (…and unless you're riding in middle earth somewhere? The trees ain't gonna up 'n' move on ya!) ;) :rofl4:

OP,..? Seriously tho, that looks like a pretty decent glade to begin with to me!! Far better than anything I've got close enough to get any practice on anyway!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts