Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the 2013 matt black 390 bosses for my bataleon global warmer. Does anyone know of a video that kind of walks you through the set up because these bindings are freaking confusing:dizzy: A link would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
lol its pretty easy. Screw down bindings where u want them on board >Figure which degree footbed u want > slide in footbeds > screw down footbeds

·
Super Moderator
6,345 Posts
The 390s and Targas are the most complex bindings I've ever had to set up. WAY more complicated than Flows, and definitely more complicated than other binding brands that come in actual S, M, and L.

The Romes are more complex because they only make them in S/M and L/XL, so there's more stuff to adjust.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
390s are a pain in the ass to adjust. I only paid $100 so whatevers but they are a pain if you want to adjust them on the hill slightly.

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
The 390s and Targas are the most complex bindings I've ever had to set up. WAY more complicated than Flows, and definitely more complicated than other binding brands that come in actual S, M, and L.

The Romes are more complex because they only make them in S/M and L/XL, so there's more stuff to adjust.
Not really - they pretty much have the same adjustments as other bindings like Union, Ride, etc.
The only aspect that is slightly more tricky than other bindings is the highback rotation, which is pretty much unnecessary anyway.

390s are a pain in the ass to adjust. I only paid $100 so whatevers but they are a pain if you want to adjust them on the hill slightly.
Which part specifically is a pain to adjust?

·
Super Moderator
6,345 Posts
Not really - they pretty much have the same adjustments as other bindings like Union, Ride, etc.
The only aspect that is slightly more tricky than other bindings is the highback rotation, which is pretty much unnecessary anyway.

Have you actually ever owned a pair? No other binding that I've ever owned comes with a literal wall chart. I just set mine up a couple of weeks ago, so it's still very clear in my mind. As I said before, you've got all the adjustments that you get with any binding, PLUS the adjustments that you get ONLY on a binding that combines sizes S/M and L/XL.

I've owned Salomons, Burtons, Rides, Flows, K2s, and Romes. The Romes are not "just like any other bindings", unless you take all the default settings and just slap them on as is.

Mind you, this is all "first time" only. Once you've got them sized properly, you shouldn't have to change them.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The 390 boss and the targa aren't for everyone. They offer a lot of adjustability, but nothing really outside of the expected range on a high end binding (out side of burton i.e. 1piece base w/heelcup). They are great for those that want to take the time to get their binding dialed in exactly as they want them and overwhelming for those that don't.

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
Have you actually ever owned a pair? No other binding that I've ever owned comes with a literal wall chart. I just set mine up a couple of weeks ago, so it's still very clear in my mind. As I said before, you've got all the adjustments that you get with any binding, PLUS the adjustments that you get ONLY on a binding that combines sizes S/M and L/XL.

I've owned Salomons, Burtons, Rides, Flows, K2s, and Romes. The Romes are not "just like any other bindings", unless you take all the default settings and just slap them on as is.

Mind you, this is all "first time" only. Once you've got them sized properly, you shouldn't have to change them.
Yes, I have owned them (and still have a 2012-13 pair). The instructions/manual is just a presentation issue - if you were to put all the pages of the Burton, Union, Ride, etc. booklets next to each other you would get something similar.

The point about the S/M and L/XL is bullshit - there is not a single adjustment on the 390s related to sizing that is not on Union or Ride bindings as well.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
The stupid screw for the foot beds. Hate that thing. It's a nit, yes, not a big deal. Still a pain in the ass. Easy when I'm at home with a cordless drill. No other binding I've had required more than flipping something open.

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
The stupid screw for the foot beds. Hate that thing. It's a nit, yes, not a big deal. Still a pain in the ass. Easy when I'm at home with a cordless drill. No other binding I've had required more than flipping something open.
Somewhat true. Not difficult but certainly a pain - especially if one frequently switches the bindings between boards or adjusts stance angles/width. However, you do not need a cordless drill for it, or even a serious screw driver - finger-tight is generally sufficient for that screw.

·
Registered
135 Posts
They removed that screw for 2014 models.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Somewhat true. Not difficult but certainly a pain - especially if one frequently switches the bindings between boards or adjusts stance angles/width. However, you do not need a cordless drill for it, or even a serious screw driver - finger-tight is generally sufficient for that screw.
Definitely, the problem is I'm lazy. So when I'm setting up at home I do all of the binding screws and that one with the drill. :laugh: Yes I'm that lazy.

I did see they removed the screw this year.

So far though I'm meh on the binding itself. It works, like all bindings do. But I didn't find it comfy. Two comfiest bindings so far would have to be Burton Malavita and K2 Uprise from a couple years back. Oh and Raiden Blackhawks. Straps, fit, footbed etc.

I still ride it because it was $100 but I'm probably going to make a move this year to something new. Hell might bust out the Uprise again but I could never get the toe strap tight.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts