·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me: 200lbs, size 10 boot
Board length: 164W
Bindings: Rome Targa L/Xl
Conditions: 3in fresh snow over packed groomers and choppy early season moguls

I got this board on a closeout sale new/blem. Top sheet had a few scratches but otherwise good condition.

I have a Rome Mod 162 and these two boards have similar stats, and comparing them I didn't think they'd ride very differently. So I was surprised how much difference the fusion camber and the bit of extra flex on the Blur made.

First, this board is fast, like runaway from you fast. I've never experienced anything like pointing this straight down hill for the first time and feeling like it wanted to take off out from under my feet. I think this is most attributable to the fusion camber which gives you the same feel and control on edge as full camber, but doesn't pressure the tips quite as much. That along with the slight setback flattens the board out slightly and reduces the friction that would be there with a stiffer, more cambered board. It's also noticeably less locked in as a full camber board, but not quite as washy as a Camrock board. Rome did an excellent job with the profile on this one and it feels like the best of both worlds for all mountain riding.

The flex is only slightly stiff and it's perfect for the way this board rides. There is abundant rebound and spring out of turns and with the setback and fusion camber the board felt way more nimble than a typical 164W. I had no problem navigating mogul fields with it, and even had fun which I'd never expect for a board this long and twinish.

Get this on edge at speed and it's got you. Extremely stable with excellent edge hold, lots of rebound out of turns, and a substantial tail you can pressure to steer if you want to get surfy. I immediately felt at home carving on this board.

I got into a little bit of fresh snow early in the morning and it floated better than a camber twin. Unless you're in deep low angle pow this should do just fine. It's not the board I'd bring to Japan but it doesn't suck, and I would definitely pick this for those mixed pow/groomer resort days where I still wanted to have fun after things get tracked out.

I did not take this through the park, but I feel like it would be fine for straight airs on any size jump. It rides switch just fine and is centered on sidecut. I probably won't take it on boxes or rails because it's not a cheap board and there are better boards for that I wouldn't worry about. I feel like it would be doable, but if that's your thing then look elsewhere.

Directional turning at speed and maneuvering over and through crappy terrain is where this board shines. I felt like I could do no wrong riding it on anything at any speed, and the snap and spring out of turns were so much fun it's all I wanted to do. I love that the board is this stable and maneuverable at speed without being a stiff plank. This is the most fun I've had outside of the park in a long time.

If you want to go as fast as you want but still be able to have fun at slower speeds and in crowds, the Blur is an excellent choice.

·
Registered
270 Posts
That's an excellent review drblast, I have the 156 but weigh 155lbs and used it for about 30 days last season. My previous board was a Nitro Blacklight camber 157 but it was always on the verge of getting away from me on hard pistes. The extra flex on the Blur makes it really enjoyable to use and it has the best grip I've experienced on icy snow. I've had a couple of instances on soft pistes where the nose has dug in a bit, once ploughing through piles of snow where the nose didn't lift and the decceleration almost sent me over the handlebars, and another time on a heel carve where the nose contact point over flexed and jumped out about 6 times in 10 feet sending me flying (it could've been me!).

I like nimble boards because I'm not a powerful rider but the Blur can carve all shapes of turns at any speed. The stiffness varies a lot along the length unlike many other stiff camber boards and together with the prominent contact points are where Rome have got the tuning just right.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like nimble boards because I'm not a powerful rider but the Blur can carve all shapes of turns at any speed. The stiffness varies a lot along the length unlike many other stiff camber boards and together with the prominent contact points are where Rome have got the tuning just right.
That's the impression I had when riding this board; that's it's a pretty classic board that has all these small tweaks to the profile, sidecut, flex and shape that make everything fit together perfectly for a great ride.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I agree with everything posted in this thread about the Rome Blur. Really great board. I especially love the flex. Easy to ride all day and smooth. I ride the Blur in a 159 @155lbs, and it is very lightweight.

My dream one-board quiver would be if the Blur had 8-12mm of taper (more turny, more floaty), but everything else feeling the same (long EE, same camber, flex, etc).

·
Registered
366 Posts
Nice review. I'm 210 lbs on the 162, which was previously the largest size (I have a 2017). I'm fine on the 62 but would swap it for a 64 if I could. Mostly for the additional waist width (162 is only 255mm at the waist, 164 is 262mm).

Random comment, this thing is MEGA edge packed into it. The 162 has 128.5 cm of effective edge. That's the EE you'd typically find on like 166-170 cm boards. My United Shapes Cadet is also a 162 and only has 119 cm of EE-- although that's bit on opposite end of the spectrum.

One thing I think you captured nicely is that it's powerful and precise without being stiff. Not 100% sure how they managed this... the carbon layup that follows the sidecut is super interesting, might be the secret.

I have one complaint, anecdotally the board seems rather fragile. I've ridden it about 30-35 days on snow over the past few seasons. Blur's topsheet and sidewalls look much rougher than my Cadet, which I've ridden about the same number of days and punished a lot more. I also clipped a rock and gave it a pretty good core shot. When I took it in for a tune, the tech mentioned the base seemed a little thinner than he'd expect for a new board that'd never been ground before.

The board is SUUUUPER lightweight, I have a feeling Rome took some material compromises to achieve that. I'd personally rather take a heavier and burlier board... but then again who knows if the board would ride the same had they taken that approach that.

It's not in the catalog for next year, so it's done. Shame.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts