Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So looking to replace my 09 burton cartels and really am between the two here. I’m riding a capita Mercury 159. Pretty much riding anything but not much park and especially not much rails.

I’ve read the new atlas is pretty different then previous years but still similar in characteristics. The katana on the other hand has a great reputation as a do it all binding.

Only reason I’m not going for the katanas totally is the price is pretty steep and I could probably get atlas’s (or force forged) for $100 less.

Edit: Local guy is selling 2020 Rome black labels(with the honeycomb ankle strap) for $350.Are they just a slightly better katana or completely different

·
Registered
60 Posts
I haven’t ridden the atlas so I can’t really give you the answer. All I can say is that the katana is a beautiful binding. Comfortable, responsive and super adjustable. Worth the extra $$! I Also own now drives and burton cartels but the katana is my favorit.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Katana are pretty great. Stiff and responsive toe to heel yet somehow also surfy laterally. I believe it’s the asym wrap. Idk about the new heel strap but last years is superbly comfortable. IMO best of both worlds from “locked in” and “surfy”

Haven’t ridden the Atlas but it seems like a solid binding that will do solid binding things and probably never cause you an issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A new Fighter approaches. Out of nowhere someone locally has for sale a pair of Rome black labels from last year for $350. They don’t have the auxtech ankle strap but wondering if this is the move since it ends up being cheaper then new katanas. Seems like the base plate is stiffer and the high back is slightly different.
Any input

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
7,054 Posts
I've owned Unions (Contact Pro and Force), Rome, (Targa, Katana, Cleaver), as well as numerous other bindings (Ride, Flow, Burton, K2, NOW) and I've pretty much settled on Rome bindings as my standard. Issues that have pissed me off with bindings over the years: poor fit, poor adjustability, straps that are too short, toe straps that slip off, uncomfortable, poor quality and excessive wear. Rome bindings (at least the ones I've owned) have none of these issues.

I'm sure there are other bindings that are excellent and maybe even better, but unless you're Angry Snowboarder, the only way to find out is to buy them and risk disappointment. So given the choices you specified, I'd go with the Romes, hands down.

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
It's this forums fault I won't be able to find any more Katanas on sale in the spring...But yeah, you cannot go wrong with Katanas.

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
I'm going to be looking for a set of Vices in the Spring myself.
Have almost pulled the trigger on some so many times for my park deck, but every time I realise I never reach for it often enough that swapping the Katanas over to it is actually a hassle...That very well could change come spring hah, I'm much more likely to be in the park when it's soft!

Reactions: WigMar

·
Registered
217 Posts
I find the Atlas to be a little more locked in laterally. If you freeride more, I'd go with those, but if you ride with a bit of freestyle, go Katanas, or Stratas if you want a lower price.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You should consider the new Rome Vice as well. It's almost a Katana and is about $100 cheaper.
AFAIK, the differences are:
1. Last years Katana ankle strap.
2. Pivot Mount as opposed to Pivot Mount Max
3. Different high back
4. No D3O Foam

·
Registered
15 Posts
You should consider the new Rome Vice as well. It's almost a Katana and is about $100 cheaper.
AFAIK, the differences are:
1. Last years Katana ankle strap.
2. Pivot Mount as opposed to Pivot Mount Max
3. Different high back
4. No D3O Foam
Also something to consider if you aren't in a huge rush, 2022 bindings Rome looks to be ditching D30 on its high end bindings (e.g. Katanas) for this rubbery pellet thing, and the asym baseplate is being redone similar to the 2021 DODs. I'm curious about Auxtech ankle straps however, might have to try grab one separately.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I wish Rome would fix their ratchets instead of changing things that don't need changing every year.
Rome ratchets become very difficult to undo after a little while and spare parts are not freely available in Japan, I feel like you need 3 sets of ratchets to match the lifespan of the binding.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I’m on the fence about them changing the heel strap on the Katana. I really like how chunky the current one is. It really allows me to “trust” it without feeling it due to over tightening.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Katanas have more adjustment, but the newly redesigned Atlas is dope. Just picked up a set of the 2022's myself.

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
I’m on the fence about them changing the heel strap on the Katana. I really like how chunky the current one is. It really allows me to “trust” it without feeling it due to over tightening.
I own three sets of Katanas now, one has the new ankle strap and it's great. I love the old one too, except it would stretch in the sun on spring days and feel too loose. New one has no downsides, just as comfortable, slightly more responsive, don't have to have it tight at all.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I haven’t ridden the atlas so I can’t really give you the answer. All I can say is that the katana is a beautiful binding. Comfortable, responsive and super adjustable. Worth the extra $$! I Also own now drives and burton cartels but the katana is my favorit.
How does the flex compare to cartels?

·
Registered
60 Posts
How does the flex compare to cartels?
Quite similar. The katana is a bit more responsive edge-to-edge. My cartels may have soften up some since I have 100+ days on them, and only 10 on the katanas that feels much more solid atm.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Quite similar. The katana is a bit more responsive edge-to-edge. My cartels may have soften up some since I have 100+ days on them, and only 10 on the katanas that feels much more solid atm.
Hmm... "quite similar" or "much more solid"? :)
Cartels are feeling a bit soft after 40-50 days idk if they got softer or I just want some more stiffness. Deciding between katana and cleaver, their website seems to suggest the cleaver is not significantly stiffer (6-8 vs 7-9)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hmm... "quite similar" or "much more solid"? :)
Cartels are feeling a bit soft after 40-50 days idk if they got softer or I just want some more stiffness. Deciding between katana and cleaver, their website seems to suggest the cleaver is not significantly stiffer (6-8 vs 7-9)
haha yeah...i would rate my cartels as 6 in flex and the katanas 7. The katanas feels much more solid quality and build wise. I get the feeling that the katanas flex where they are supposed to flex and the cartels flex all over the place (Because of aluminium vs plastic? And 100+ days on cartel...).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts