Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
7,054 Posts
I have both Katanas and Cleavers (both this year). The Cleavers are stiffer than the Katanas, but I wouldn't say "significantly." I think if you want significantly stiffer, you have to go to the Black Labels.

·
Registered
9,725 Posts
Also something to consider if you aren't in a huge rush, 2022 bindings Rome looks to be ditching D30 on its high end bindings (e.g. Katanas) for this rubbery pellet thing, and the asym baseplate is being redone similar to the 2021 DODs. I'm curious about Auxtech ankle straps however, might have to try grab one separately.
The new foam is quite literally Adidas Boost foam. Adidas does not own that foam, some german materials company does, so my guess is their exclusivity ran out and it's a semi-open material now. Should be good on bindings.

I wish Rome would fix their ratchets instead of changing things that don't need changing every year.
Rome ratchets become very difficult to undo after a little while and spare parts are not freely available in Japan, I feel like you need 3 sets of ratchets to match the lifespan of the binding.
Been riding Rome for 3 years now, never had ratchet issues. We also sell a ton and I don't recall replacing many, if any, ratchets...

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
Been riding Rome for 3 years now, never had ratchet issues. We also sell a ton and I don't recall replacing many, if any, ratchets...
I'm curious how often you replace snapped ladders or ankle/toe strap connectors? Love all my Rome bindings, and it might just be my bad luck on cold days (like below 0F) but it seems every time I ride in those conditions something will snap, whereas it's never happened to me with any other brands bindings, even on the coldest days. If we get another cold snap I might have to only ride Nitros with the steel reinforced ladders for those days hah.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The new foam is quite literally Adidas Boost foam. Adidas does not own that foam, some german materials company does, so my guess is their exclusivity ran out and it's a semi-open material now. Should be good on bindings.

Thats cool, Ive been on them since 2016 and the ratchets become hard to undo after a while. Ive been stuck in once, couldn't get my rear foot out and the 2 pair I have now are going the same way, I even know the part that rounds over in time that causes the problem because of plastic on plastic contact and the very small contact patch of the release mechanism, it rounds over reducing the action of the release lever making it harder and harder to undo.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Should be good on bindings.
D30 worked great on my Katanas but so should the Boost foam. No doubt it works on their boots. 1 jump in my flat landing on my heels decided the Tacticals are the pick and the Response go back to the store.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Looking at new bindings for my 21 BSOD. Right now I am leaning towards the new Katanas, but also looking at the Atlas. The Atlas looks great and is a bit cheaper, but I have heard the dampening is not great on them? I hard charge most of the time here in Utah unless there is pow. I’m sure either of these will work, but want something comfortable for me as well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Even with the Asym wrap? I've never ridden a binding like that so I am not sure what to expect. I am coming from the Burton Genesis, but want more control. I tried some Now Pilot's last season and did not like them, but I have heard great things about the Drives.

·
Registered
40 Posts
What didn’t you like about the Pilot?
The toe strap was always slipping off my boot and the buckles felt really cheap compared to Burton. I had heard the skate tech helps relieve foot fatigue, but it did not do that for me.

i have been to three local shops and they all said they aren’t planning on carrying Rome products anymore.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
I have both Katanas and Cleavers (both this year). The Cleavers are stiffer than the Katanas, but I wouldn't say "significantly." I think if you want significantly stiffer, you have to go to the Black Labels.
How do you like the new auxtech ankle straps?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts