Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Rome Katanas & Loose Screws

693 Views 17 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  awesterner
Hey all,

I have some 2017 Katanas that are coming loose on the board and ratchet screws are coming loose after a day's worth of riding. Do I just need to locktite the ones on the bindings and get new disc screws or is it just a sign of old bindings that have had their day?

Dan
Hey all,

I have some 2017 Katanas that are coming loose on the board and ratchet screws are coming loose after a day's worth of riding. Do I just need to locktite the ones on the bindings and get new disc screws or is it just a sign of old bindings that have had their day?

Dan
See more
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2,311 Posts
katanas have alot of moving parts and screws to keep track of.

Last week the bolt/nut holding my heel strap to my pivot mount either snapped or unscrewed at pretty high speed. I'm throwing my whole body into a toeside and all of a sudden my back foot is up in the air behind me. I went down pretty hard at full speed. Mine are 2019.

· Registered
113 Posts

Last week the bolt/nut holding my heel strap to my pivot mount either snapped or unscrewed at pretty high speed. I'm throwing my whole body into a toeside and all of a sudden my back foot is up in the air behind me. I went down pretty hard at full speed. Mine are 2019.
Were you able to inspect the screw afterwards, or was it un-findable?

· Not quite reformed yet
8,576 Posts

DAMN!!! I better check mine before the weekend. I sure as Sh*t don’t need another shot ta tha knees!!

…I’m terrible at checking my gear. Fortunately, to date, only have one pair of Cartels that the lead foot Highback rotation screw @ the base likes to get loose. So my Highback rotates around so as NOT parallel to the boards edge anymore. 🤷‍♂️ Been simply a Minor annoyance so far. Knock 🪵!!

· Registered
2,311 Posts
DAMN!!! I better check mine before the weekend. I sure as Sh*t don’t need another shot ta tha knees!!

…I’m terrible at checking my gear. Fortunately, to date, only have one pair of Cartels that the lead foot Highback rotation screw @ the base likes to get loose. So my Highback rotates around so as NOT parallel to the boards edge anymore. 🤷‍♂️ Been simply a Minor annoyance so far. Knock 🪵!!
Yea, I always carry a generic snowboard tool with me and check the screws every couple of runs. Guess I forgot lol

It is what it is, but Rome is insisting I provide proof of purchase before they help me and I bought the bindings like 4-5 years ago. I'd probably have better luck finding the hardware on the mountain than locating this receipt. If I were asking for a heel strap or some sort of significant replacement part I'd understand. But I'm literally just asking for a screw and bolt. I could just go to home depot but I'm already shaky enough on continuing to use these bindings so I'd rather use "OEM" hardware. Yno?

· Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Holy moly, that sounds bad on the good bad scale, hopefully you're all good.

· Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If its just the screws, then replaced the screws. shouldnt be anything else causing it. Its like saying your tires are losing air, do you need a new car or just new tires.
Well, that's sort of true, but these are the connection screws in the plastic frame that can degenerate over time or strip out.

· Registered
1,527 Posts

So that's what happened!

Pivot mount is the bee's knees but they do have more parts that can/do get loose. I've had one explode (disintegrated midair as I was thumping my board to shake off snow) and another strip its thread. Both pre 2018s.

· Registered
2,311 Posts
So that's what happened!

Pivot mount is the bee's knees but they do have more parts that can/do get loose. I've had one explode (disintegrated midair as I was thumping my board to shake off snow) and another strip its thread. Both pre 2018s.
Lol yup, I didn’t want to look like I was bashing on Rome so I kept it out of that thread. Great bindings overall, just gotta keep up with them.

· Registered
1,533 Posts
Good heads up for everyone. CHECK YOUR BINDINGS FREQUENTLY !!!!!!! There are enough ways to get SLAMMED doing what we do, without getting slammed due to completely avoidable equipment failures. Take the 2 minutes to grab the driver and check em all; bindings as well as straps. Ride safe and have fun out there.

· Registered
13 Posts
My experience with Rome is that yes, check those screws before every ride. I've ridden Katana's and Cleavers the last few seasons and I've had issues with the rear heal cup screws coming loose. It mostly happen with the Katana's on the Asym side. I don't think I carve or charge particularily hard these days, but I really drive my rear knee inward which might put a lot of angular force on that outside healcup screw. Locktight has improved it, but I still have to tighten/check those screws before every outing. Previously I'd take my Spard RD tool in my pocket and check every few runs lol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts