Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've checked out a few board sizing calculators, and recommendations, and I noticed that Rome snowboards are recommended for much lighter persons than the calculators and recommendations say.

According to snowboardsizingguide.com and frostyrider.com, a female 180 to 190 lbs can ride a board that's 153 cm long.

The Rome Vynil snowboard (women's) that I saw on evo.com has a suggested rider weight of 105 to 150 lbs. That's a huge difference.
Rome Vinyl Rocker Snowboard - Women's 2012 | evo outlet

Are Rome not capable of supporting a heavy person like most other boards?

I realize this is a manufacturer recommendation and it would be silly to ignore it, but why such a large disparity from other boards?

Will the board just break under a heavier rider?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Could be a way around warranty claims. If most people riding the board are over the recommended weight even though it "should" be the right size then they can claim it was the riders weight that caused the problem.

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
According to snowboardsizingguide.com and frostyrider.com...
Well there's your problem.

Always use the manufacturers suggested weight range, or the middle of that suggested weight range, as a starting point.

Skill, experience, riding style, what you want to get out of the board, etc., are all going to play a part in what size you ultimately want.

E.g., Frosty says I should be riding a 164-166 which is maybe true if this was 2003 and I was riding a directional cambered stick for big-mountain riding. I ride 156-157 in the park and maybe 161 for all-mountain. You couldn't pay me to ride a 166 unless it was a pow-only board.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Rome's ratings on the women's boards seems to run on the high end, ask some of the women on here and they should help out. Got a friend a Vinyl Rocker 148. Rome was recommending a 151, she seems very happy with the 148, probably could have even gotten a size lower.

Edit: She is at 120 lbs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I noticed this as well when I bought my Rome Gold in December. Based on my weight (around 115-120), their size chart made it seem like I would be better with the 152 (so I would be in the middle of the weight range). After emailing a couple reps from Rome, I ended up getting the 147 (same size as the board I had before that), and am really happy with it even though I was on the upper end of the weight range. I would have been fine going longer as well I think, but I like it a bit shorter for chutes and trees and stuff. It definitely doesn't seem too short compared to the 147 camber board I had before it, so I would be surprised if it was something weird about Rome boards in general. How big is your current board, and is the profile similar to the vinyl rocker?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
If you're 180/190 depending on foot size you may want to look at men's boards mid-flex probably in the 152 range. Sadly I just don't think you're going to find a woman's board that is designed for your weight, so you'll need to get creative.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
E.g., Frosty says I should be riding a 164-166 which is maybe true if this was 2003 and I was riding a directional cambered stick for big-mountain riding. I ride 156-157 in the park and maybe 161 for all-mountain. You couldn't pay me to ride a 166 unless it was a pow-only board.
Frosty puts me on a 171 but I ride a 166w and rode a 164w up until this season just fine. I think at this point anything bigger than a 166 would be more than I'd want in absence of powder. So like David said, don't put too much into those types of calculators.

Incidentally, Leo was my snowboard sizing calculator...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you're 180/190 depending on foot size you may want to look at men's boards mid-flex probably in the 152 range. Sadly I just don't think you're going to find a woman's board that is designed for your weight, so you'll need to get creative.
I noticed that this morning. I went through a whole bunch of women's boards on evo.com and very, very few of them went up that high in rider weight.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Could try the 153 Mod Rocker on evo outlet, the Vinyl is the women's version of it, but with single carbon rods instead of double on the Mod, plus more torsional twist on the Vinyl. If they aren't an advanced rider the flex and length of the 153 Vinyl might work well.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Are Rome not capable of supporting a heavy person like most other boards?

Will the board just break under a heavier rider?
It probably won't break, but the board will be much softer than an 8/10 on the Rome scale. My wife has a Lo-fi Rocker and is in the middle of the weight range for a 146 and wishes she had sized up.

Honestly, unless you just really love the graphic look at some of the Rome men's boards. You will get a bigger selection and something more true to the relative stiffness you may be looking to find.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It probably won't break, but the board will be much softer than an 8/10 on the Rome scale. My wife has a Lo-fi Rocker and is in the middle of the weight range for a 146 and wishes she had sized up.

Honestly, unless you just really love the graphic look at some of the Rome men's boards. You will get a bigger selection and something more true to the relative stiffness you may be looking to find.
Yeah, I really just defaulted to looking at women's boards because it was for... a woman. Ultimately a snowboard is a snowboard is a snowboard... men's board it is! It wasn't even about a graphic. Why do we abandon common sense sometimes?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts