Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All

Advanced Intermediate (I think). Recently bought a Capita Mercury to replace my old Rossignol One Mag. Had a couple of days on the new board, it is taking a lot of getting used to. The biggest problem I have is transitioning to toeside turns on the Mercury. The Rossi would turn edge to edge super quick, on the Capita it is taking a lot longer for the edge to transition to toeside. I feel like I am riding 'ahead' of the board and as a result I have fallen a good few times at the start of turns - this never happened on the Rossi. I find that if I apply a lot more pressure on the rear foot it helps the Mercury come round a bit faster, but it just feels weird to be 'back seat driving'. Can anyone offer any thoughts/ guidance? Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I put the bindings on, I placed them over the reference stance them moved each binding out equally from there to get my desired wider stance. I was under the impression that was the correct way to do it?

Measuring the bindings on the board, I have about 1 inch more nose than tail after the bindings. Hmmmm.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Ride more. This just screams I adapted my riding style to get by in one scenario. Now the change to a new board is obviously messing with you mentally which is going to exacerbate underlying riding issues. Not trying to insult you or anything like that, just an an advanced intermediate rider should be able to jump on just about any board on the market with a binding change and be able to ride it without falling when initiating turns, especially after multiple days. Put in some more time, take a lesson, dynamic riding. The board is just a tool to help in situations, the riding ability comes in knowing how to manipulate your body, weight, etc to adapt to each moment going down the hill.

As for stance you did just fine setting it up. You centered them compared to reference stance, there should be no problem there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Mr Lab. I agree with everything you say, but I've been riding for 15 years, had around 7 boards, and for each of those new boards I went through the usual 'adaption' process. The thing is, I have never experienced quite this much 'difference' in any new board. When I say I fell, it happened maybe 6 times on toeside turns over 2 days, at medium speed on medium steeps. I ride well within my limits and I hardly ever fall - hence the reason for my post. I am doing the usual, coming off the back of the board at the end of a heelside turn, unweighting then weight to the front to initiate the turn, which is no problem, but the back of the board just takes an age to come round. These are not skidded turns either. I'll try again with it, but I am starting to think the Mercury might be a slower turner than I am used to. One other thing, the Mercury is a mid-wide, and my boards have generally been 0.5cm wider at the waist.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This piqued my interest, so I glanced at the sidecut specs at evo. The vario sidecut on the Rossi has a really short initial radius relative to the Mercury, so it would make a lot of sense that your muscle memory is expecting the board to grip and send a carve a lot quicker. I rode a much stiffer board than I typically do this season and I found a similar challenge - I needed to apply a lot more force into engaging the camber going into toeside turns to get it to bite as quickly as I wanted.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I own both. One LF 157W has easier turn initiation with the tighter sidecut in the nose, is softer than the Mercury 157 and generally more forgiving.

Do you experience that issue with the Mercury on ice/very hard snow?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pugnax - yes I hear what you say about the additional force needed, and what you said about the radii makes sense. I have tried applying more force to toeside rear foot right at the start of the turn, this seems to help but feels a bit odd and is quite a tiring way to ride! I am used to driving off the front leg at the start of turns. I have also tried pedalling more with the back foot which also seems to help a bit, but is not the way I usually ride. You said you engage more 'force' - can you tell me where and when you engage this in the turn? Interestingly heelside turns are fine.

Yeahti - I've only been on softish snow so far. I hope this issue isn't worse on harder snow!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hard to describe - I guess really pushing hard down into the snow, pulling my knees/shins together to load the camber and try and reverse it to shorten the sidecut radius. Worth mentioning that torsional flex and really driving with your toes first is important, as is basic posture stuff. Before I rode a big-boy board (which the Mercury certainly is!) I found myself getting away with sloppier form just fine, but a high end board will absolutely punish you for not centering your weight, keeping your hips in line, facing uphill on your toeside, etc.

I suppose you would still drive off the front leg in the start of a turn - but then quickly get your hips in line and accept that you're gonna pick up more velocity than you might be expecting. Once it clicks though, holy moly. Spring out of that camber from edge to edge and feel like a god.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Yeahti - I've only been on softish snow so far. I hope this issue isn't worse on harder snow!
It must be your muscle memory for the easier One LF/technique then. The Mercury does not shine on ice with its 1,5 base bevel and 88,5 side bevel for me (my other boards that grip better there are 0/90) but it is not noticeable on softer snow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have just purchased the 2021/22 Mercury 161. I hired a 159 2019 board that enjoyed it. I’m 95kg high intermediate and this board is making me look like a beginner. I’ve owned 159 ultra Mountain twin, 163 lib goldmember, 156 orca, demoed 161w DOA, 161w Batellion Jam etc and I was absolutely fine with those boards. But this Mercury has got a mind of its own. Not playful at all and I also like to twist and peddle my board and steer through the front foot. I can only carve and back foot steer/ counter rotate this board which I despise.
Only had few runs on it so far so I’m sure I’ll get the hang of it. I thought I was buying a stiffer DOA but this is way different

·
Registered
4 Posts
It must be your muscle memory for the easier One LF/technique then. The Mercury does not shine on ice with its 1,5 base bevel and 88,5 side bevel for me (my other boards that grip better there are 0/90) but it is not noticeable on softer snow.

Hi there,

I was wondering how you know the capital mercury had a base edge angle of 1.5 and a side edge angle of 88.5? I own one and am just trying to decide what to do regards tuning etc.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Can I ask what year mercury this was for?

can I ask when sharpening the base edge would you use a 90degree sharpening tool and datum off of the side edge?
I have the 2019/2020 model. There are plenty of sharpening guides on youtube. On my sharpening tool I can pick the angles and I use a ‚rough’ file and a diamond mid grade file.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the 2019/2020 model. There are plenty of sharpening guides on youtube. On my sharpening tool I can pick the angles and I use a ‚rough’ file and a diamond mid grade file.
I've been looking into it in depth, my question is that most guides work off a right angle then multiple degrees out from that.

when sharpening the base edge you obviously don't have a flat edge to go off.

I have seen specific base edge sharpening tools which seem the best idea but there are many tools that claim to be able to do both side edges and base edges.

I presume when using these on the base edges the tool just sits against the side edge as a flat surface to work off? So you would then simply use the tool in the 90 degree setting.

does this make sense?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
For the base angle.
Either that way with a specific tool you’ve mentioned:

Or you just take the diamond file alone and go along the edge from the base side like that:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts