Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have just purchased the 2021/22 Mercury 161. I hired a 159 2019 board that enjoyed it. I’m 95kg high intermediate and this board is making me look like a beginner. I’ve owned 159 ultra Mountain twin, 163 lib goldmember, 156 orca, demoed 161w DOA, 161w Batellion Jam etc and I was absolutely fine with those boards. But this Mercury has got a mind of its own. Not playful at all and I also like to twist and peddle my board and steer through the front foot. I can only carve and back foot steer/ counter rotate this board which I despise.
Only had few runs on it so far so I’m sure I’ll get the hang of it. I thought I was buying a stiffer DOA but this is way different
Man I had the same experience yesterday on the Mercury. I've been riding for a long time and have never experienced such a dramatic change in the way a board rides

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello All

Advanced Intermediate (I think). Recently bought a Capita Mercury to replace my old Rossignol One Mag. Had a couple of days on the new board, it is taking a lot of getting used to. The biggest problem I have is transitioning to toeside turns on the Mercury. The Rossi would turn edge to edge super quick, on the Capita it is taking a lot longer for the edge to transition to toeside. I feel like I am riding 'ahead' of the board and as a result I have fallen a good few times at the start of turns - this never happened on the Rossi. I find that if I apply a lot more pressure on the rear foot it helps the Mercury come round a bit faster, but it just feels weird to be 'back seat driving'. Can anyone offer any thoughts/ guidance? Thanks.
I just saw this post and was wondering if you ever got used to the Mercury or did you switch out to something else?

·
Registered
663 Posts
I think a lot of these problems are from not going fast enough. The mercury feels weird at slower speeds, but once the pace picks up its feels more predictable and very very naaace. Just my own 2 pennies. Get quick, get low, flex that shit,, that shit will flex u back with love

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think a lot of these problems are from not going fast enough. The mercury feels weird at slower speeds, but once the pace picks up its feels more predictable and very very naaace. Just my own 2 pennies. Get quick, get low, flex that shit,, that shit will flex u back with love
Ya I guess I just have to get used to it. I have been riding softer flexing boards lately (Gnu Headspace/Bataleon Party Wave) and got used to the ease of use

·
Registered
6 Posts
Man I had the same experience yesterday on the Mercury. I've been riding for a long time and have never experienced such a dramatic change in the way a board rides
After many of days riding I can now say I love my Mercury! I have changed my boots which helped as the 32 tm2 with atlas bindings and mercury was all to stiff. Now riding new longo vans infuse and they are perfect! The board will soften up quite a bit and my riding has definitely improved! I can ride it fast, slow, ice flat base and feels stable. It’s very responsive and your weight needs to be perfect on hard pack cat tracks or it may catch! Definitely for the advanced rider, But love the pop and speed!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi folks.
I was wondering if the OP kept his mercury. I bought a 157 after riding a yes standard 156. I’m on day 3 and can’t toeside turn it. Even coming off lifts it wants to go straight. I’m feel like a beginner again. Detuning the contact points helped a little. Steeps and going fast is easier, but slow and flat terrain is a nightmare. I will probably sell and go back to a yes standard or a jones mountain twin. Even my jones solution split is far easier to turn.
Angry snowboarder says try detuning inside the bindings but I dont go near the park and don’t want to blunt the edges.
I wonder if it just needs to be broken in or do I need some lessons or both?

Cheers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Just to update, I persevered with the Mercury for a few weeks, but it just didn't feel right at all to me. Toeside turns were just too difficult and needed too much thought/ change of technique! I swapped to a Rossignol Jibsaw HD - heaven!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts