Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am after a good deal on a freeride board. Something that I could take when I expect to find some pow but thing could get tracked out and/ or icy at times.
Most Rossignol are on deep discount already and looking at the Sashimi.
I would love the Sushi but realistically this is not what I need and think the XV may be too stiff for me as I'll spend lot of time in trees.

My questions are:
Is the Sashimi good at plowing through tracked snow or crust? I am hoping the reverse directional flex would work here and the board seems reasonably stiff.
Would the 160 be ok for me at 85 kgs (187 lbs)? It is supposed to be sized down but i am not sure the 156 would be enough for me (also cannot get the deal on this size). I was happy with a Jones Hovercraft 160 for reference.
Also what about boot size, the taper seems extreme 32.1 cm nose width vs 27.4 tail width? Would I fit my 11US on the back foot with a -12degre angle?
What about edge hold? I was a bit reluctant on the full magnetraction on the XV. Is it anything similar?

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
My friend rides Sashimi 152 at 70 kg., 9 US Tacticals. He actually started to carve on it and progressed a lot. I’ve tried the board but at my 85 kg 10 US Tacticals it is too narrow at the backfoot to really carve but still felt quite stable pointing it down. Definitely a surfy ride.
I’ve seen him charging the crud and icy conditions on it without any problems. Actually I had to warn him a few times to slow down as he felt kind of ‚overconfident’ for his level at that time and the conditions and he is no jackass at all so the board definitely handles the speed great if sized properly. When he compares his Amplid Surfari 157 to the Sashimi 152 he says that the former is more ’locked-in’ while the latter is ‚effortless at carving’.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@ridethecliche please do not make my life harder by adding boards on my radar.

Thanks @Yeahti87. It is actually quite helpful.

he compares his Amplid Surfari 157 to the Sashimi 152 he says that the former is more ’locked-in’ while the latter is ‚effortless at carving’.
Interesting, the Surfari was the other board, I was looking at.
I am more interested in the pure freeride unperfect snow and tree riding aspect than the carving for this board.

I already own a Mind Expander, a Toms Sims Pro and a new Party Platter so dont exactly "need" a board but I found a way to justify it. I would save about 140 euros of storage for my boards between 2 trips by ordering this new board so I guess added to the discount I get it becomes fairly cheap.

I can get 25% on the Surfari and 37% on the Sashimi...

Any further advice?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I know the feeling when you are looking for a reason to try a new board hah

Well, I’d ditch the Surfari 157 option. I’m your weight and 10 US Tacticals and I’d defnitely grab myself a 161. It is a board with a really strong forte for freeride carving powder and sizing it down makes little sense honestly (based on my experience with my Amplids UNW 159 and 163). I’ve got 8 boards this season, mostly directional freeride boards with a strong focus on carving and they really are the best true to size.

I’m pretty sure Sashimi in 156 would suit your needs if you don’t care about the rear foot overhang at hard carves. I find my boards with mid-stiff or stiff nose real chunder busters.

I’m not an avid tree-hunter myself, I venture to the woods occassionally so my Optimistic 154 is my pick on these days. I find it really maneuverable in tight situations but if you were worried about the torsionall stiffness (it’s not really a stiff board), have a look on Yes the Y 154 or possibly Hybrid 157 (PM if you wanted this one, I see it very cheap).

I’m not a Mervin fan myself due to the quality/warranty issues my friends had but honestly they absorb chop super well so the guys who have it correct me if I’m wrong but the Orca fits your description really well.

And let’s not forget the Archetype in 157W next season if you didn’t buy anything now.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Yeahti87
I would definitely only consider the 161 Surfari.
And actually can only get the 160 Sashini at this bargain price.
Would you say it is too big?

Regarding the other boards, not too much into buying Libtech for some reasons but definitely into Yes boards, sowould love to get an Optimistic.
Regarding the Y and the Hybrid, they seem great and right up my brother alley so I am actually trying to get one of them! He has been riding a Skate Banana for the past 3 years...

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I just got an Amplid Pentaquark with the same antiphase technology in the nose as the Surfari. It's eerily damp. I've been eyeing a Surfari now. It should handle that chopped up rutted out Colorado powder without complaints. Tree sashes get chopped up pretty badly around here too. I don't "need" another board either! This one is on the back burner for awhile.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
@Yeahti87
I would definitely only consider the 161 Surfari.
And actually can only get the 160 Sashini at this bargain price.
Would you say it is too big?
Both the Surfari 161 and Sashimi 160 will be great for handling chop and for general freeride. Surfari is wider at the backfoot and has a stiffer tail what makes it better for carving but worse in tight trees imo.
I think it comes down to how dense the trees are and how nimble you found your Hovercraft 160.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I just got an Amplid Pentaquark with the same antiphase technology in the nose as the Surfari. It's eerily damp. I've been eyeing a Surfari now. It should handle that chopped up rutted out Colorado powder without complaints. Tree sashes get chopped up pretty badly around here too. I don't "need" another board either! This one is on the back burner for awhile.
Besides, if you wait a bit you'll be able to pick one up cheaper since they do appear to clear things out from time to time.

Antiphase sounds wild though!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Any updates from people riding Sashimi? They always catch my eye but haven't pulled the trigger.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Any updates from people riding Sashimi? They always catch my eye but haven't pulled the trigger.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
I finally took out my new Sashimi on two very different days. First was a warmer weather day after some rain so very Spring like conditions (slushy). It was fantastic - very surfy, blasted thru the chop, turned on a dime when required, super damp, and an overall blast all day. Second was typical midwest hardpack day. It seemed a bit washy in the tail (what there is of it), but I am wondering if that was just me or the fact that I was riding it at a significantly narrower stance than ref and also pos/pos (which worked great in the slush) angles. It has a 59+ ref stance (actually measures almost 60) and I rode it at 54. I plan to widen up a bit and set the angles at my typical duck of 18/-9 and see how it goes. Aside from my perceived washiness, it still seemed quite damp and handled speed well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts