Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience with the roxy all star camp up at whistler?

It kinda looks like a good way to access park lessons at a price cheaper than like 2 days of private lessons? From the information I could find it sounds pretty fun, although a lot of it is like advertising propaganda ... haha

Trying to see if it would be worth it... before throwing in more large wads of cash into the season .. I think I've probably already spent waaaay too much :p

·
Registered
726 Posts
Actually there was another member on here that was taling about it, not sure what her name is... maybe someone else that knows will read this.

·
Rides Caturdayz
538 Posts
What kind of questions? I can give you the contact info of a roxy coach. Not sure she'll be at whistler this year though.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Has anyone had any experience with the roxy all star camp up at whistler?

It kinda looks like a good way to access park lessons at a price cheaper than like 2 days of private lessons? From the information I could find it sounds pretty fun, although a lot of it is like advertising propaganda ... haha

Trying to see if it would be worth it... before throwing in more large wads of cash into the season .. I think I've probably already spent waaaay too much :p
The Roxy camp is decent although I'd also consider other local camps too.

Do note that it's not going to be as good as private lessons (camps are better than most group lessons, but even in a good camp you won't get the 1 on 1 attention of a full private).

Personally I'd recommend Pro-Ride clinics (Whistler Snowboard Camps, Courses & Instructor Training | Pro Ride Snowboarding Camps, BC Canada) over the Roxy camp if you're looking for a Whistler camp. They have more coaches with higher level instructor experience so they're able to break you into skill levels/groups better.

The owner of Pro-Ride camps actually is a former Roxy camp instructor in Whistler and won a bunch of instructor of the year awards at WB back when she used to coach a lot.

Let me know if you want an intro to the Pro-Ride camp owner to ask some questions, happy to pass you her email and set up an intro for you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies!
I sent her a PM :D

I was looking at a variety of camps. The pro-ride one looked good too
although I don't think I can afford to stay in whistler for that long...
and yeah.... obvious pros to private lessons.... but they are pricy and I don't mind sharing :p

I wanted to know what sort of techniques/skills they would cover at camp.
I'm interested mainly in improving park skills, but I'm just starting out
so I'm thinking like small jumps and some simple tricks perhaps?
it would be nice if there was a little bit of like mogul/ tree improving turning sort of stuff too.
Just wanted to check if it would be a good fit for me. I'm hoping to build a good foundation for progressing in the park without killing myself.
Kinda hoping I'm not being too ambitious since I started boarding not so long ago :p

And wanted to know a bit about the overall camp experience in terms of environment, and like how much attention you get etc...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts