Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all North Islanders!

Just wondering, does wind direction affect Turoa/Whakapapa's lift operations?
For example, will strong southerlies (35km +) close Turoa's lifts but northerlies/northeasterlies wont? (because as Turoa is on the south face, it might be rather 'sheltered' from the northerlies..? maybe?)
And vice versa for Whakapapa?
Next week is looking pretty windy (and very snowy for Monday) and I am scheduled to be heading up Wednesday to Friday... I cant tell if the drive will be worth it, because if the fields don't open thats about $200 wasted!
This season is my first on the North Island so if someone more experienced with Ruapehu could give me some advice that would be amazing :)

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
Just check the forecasts, it's so unpredictable. I've done day trips expecting rain and it's been blue bird.

Take the risk, powder days on Ruapehu are worth the gamble!

High winds and low vis are a constant threat...

I'm up on Turoa on Friday. First day of the season for me!

·
Registered
119 Posts
As Manic has said, check those forecasts. I use Metservice, Mountainwatch, Snowsbest and the Ruapehu website. I'm sure there's others. As Manic has also said, Ruapehu is unpredictable. Obviously the closer you get to the day, the more reliable the forecast is. In fact, opening weekend was spot on. I was gonna book accommodation for the Saturday night, but at 3 days out, they started forecasting bad weather for Saturday afternoon and Sunday. In the end I didn't book anything. Saturday afternoon about 3pm, whiteout, and closed on Sunday. I came home and saved a nights accommodation. Had an awesome day though!!

Yes, the direction of the wind does affect operations. I only go to Turoa and basically if the wind is forecast to be 40kph or over in any direction, forget it. To be honest, if the wind is up there, it wont be pleasant. There's no trees or mountain ranges to shelter you.

If you can leave it closer to the time to decide, you will reap the rewards. Turoa on a powder day is far and few between, but totally worth it. With the terrain, its awesome. To give you some idea, me and my son had an amazing day last year on a relatively small dump. The next day, same runs were ice.

Yeah, at the moment, Monday and Tuesday aren't looking good. Friday is, and that's my rostered day off! See you up there Manic!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts