Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured since a couple of us (me and @Donutz for now) have this camera and keep posting about it we should break it off to it’s own thread.

Here are some more videos I put together from a trip yesterday.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtO0VD8FwbT/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=c5z0a387n4jd

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtO1BwRF7J3/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1evulnf402jlb

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtO1YOIFrnt/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1b5zev85uxh9g

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,740 Posts
I used the camera today on Whistler. I started out with the camera mounted on my helmet. In that configuration, I can get videos that are essentially the same as with my Drift. Other than being able to swing the video POV around to look behind me, it's not much of an addition.

I then put the camera on the monopole (I have the Rylo version) and tried a couple of runs with that. For what I'm trying to do, it's useful. I get a good look at my board control and body positioning. Unfortunately, so far I find that holding the pole throws me off, in that I'm concentrating on the pole and am not able to just cut loose.

I've tried sticking the pole out of the backpack, and I can see how that would work in principle. But attaching the monopole solidly enough to the backpack is a problem so far. I'm trying to think up options--other than buying the $200+ GoPro backpack.

The biggest problem I've run into though is controlling the Rylo. The buttons on the Adventure Case are hair-triggered, and I get several spurious 3-second videos while trying to set up or retract the pole. And my last three runs didn't get recorded because I had inadvertently changed the mode from video to photo. So I have 3 nice pix of the beginning of my runs. Fuck.

The Rylo needs a remote control. The good news is they have one, sort of. Your phone can now control the Rylo through the Rylo app. The bad news is you have to pull out your phone, which in my case means unzipping my jacket. I can probably figure something out, but I'd much rather have something like the GoPro smart remote, which just straps to your wrist.

Unfortunately, the GoPro Fusion is double the weight of the Rylo. With the Adventure Case, maybe 50% heavier, which is not as bad but still a consideration. What we need is the Rylo camera and the GoPro remote.

Also, the battery life on the Rylo really sucks. I've ordered another battery, and that'll help, and I have a 128GB memory card.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
What we need is the Rylo camera and the GoPro remote.

Also, the battery life on the Rylo really sucks. I've ordered another battery, and that'll help, and I have a 128GB memory card.
Interesting. I’ve tried to be careful of the button and I’ve gotten a couple short vids because I wanted to make sure I was recording so I hit it off and on again, but I haven’t hit the mode button yet. I have not used the iPhone remote, but I agree a dedicated remote would be a very cool addition.

What is your experience with battery life? Yesterday it was cold, but sunny - the van said 10° when we got back - and I had consecutive clips of 6:15, 9:29, and 31:15. I completely turned it off in between clips. The battery said 1 of 3 bars when I was done so it still had at least a little left. Given my past experience with these kinds of cameras I found that really impressive. I still did order two more batteries and the remote charging case, which seems like a bit of a money grab but is obviously useful.

For my backpack mount I mostly just stick it in there and wrap one of the side compression straps round it where it comes out the zipper. It is by no means secure and I’d like to improve it, but the video has still worked well.

Other than being able to swing the video POV around to look behind me, it's not much of an addition.
If you are riding with other people, though, this is huge. It’s fun to be able to do my own thing and still get my wife riding next to or behind me.

·
Super Moderator
5,740 Posts
Ran into a problem today--the camera claims a lower temp limit of -10c and today we were below that. I got exactly one video, then the battery quit. I'm going to have to work out a system of warming it in my pocket on the way up or something. Maybe some of those mitt warmers.

To be fair, I checked the interwebz and the GoPros have the same problem.

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,143 Posts
Ran into a problem today--the camera claims a lower temp limit of -10c and today we were below that. I got exactly one video, then the battery quit. I'm going to have to work out a system of warming it in my pocket on the way up or something. Maybe some of those mitt warmers.

Yeah they do!! :blink:

I work around that with these....

https://hothands.com/products/

Until I need them, I keep batteries & GoPros in a pouch with a couple of these activated.

(...I also have to keep one or two in the pocket /w my fruit phone! :shrug:)

·
Registered
6,085 Posts

I have 4 gopros
An OG one
Two gopro 2's
And just bought a gopro 3+ Black from Rouge On this forum.

So far the 3+ Black is by far the shittiest. I have only brought it out twice but so far it hasn't worked for more than a couple seconds resulting in NO footy at all

Are gopro's getting shittier or what haha
I've had a few people say wow what camera are you you using after seeing a clip & those were taken on the OG one.

The battery life on my 3+ black is nonexistent.
It will say full while its in my pocket but if I turn it on I get about 1 second of footage before it shuts itself off.

Super not impressed with the 3+ black.

At least my hero 1 & 2 I can actually use.

TT

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Are you using the adventure case? The other day when I was out it was right about that -10C temp and it kept going. It was sunny so maybe that was enough to keep it operating. That’s the day I got over 40 min. of footage on one battery and it was exposed out of my backpack the whole time.

Did you try to warm it up in your jacket? Did it come back or was that the complete end of the battery?

·
Super Moderator
5,740 Posts
Are you using the adventure case? The other day when I was out it was right about that -10C temp and it kept going. It was sunny so maybe that was enough to keep it operating. That’s the day I got over 40 min. of footage on one battery and it was exposed out of my backpack the whole time.

Did you try to warm it up in your jacket? Did it come back or was that the complete end of the battery?
I am using the adventure case. And yes, the battery came back after I got home.

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,143 Posts
I use the reusable ones!

hand warmers
Those do provide better heat, but don't last for shit. Might be really effective for a quick warmup of a frozen batt! But don't last long enough to keep a spare good throughout the day.

The hothands dont heat as warm, but they last for hours.

I also have 3 of the Zippo, lighter fluid types. But those get VERY hot and could damage electronics. I generally use those to heat MY frozen ass! ;)

·
Super Moderator
5,740 Posts
"Don't heat as warm" might also be a good thing. Don't want to warp the plastic or anything.

So, for those who use warmers with their cameras, how long does a "warming" last? Assuming I pop the camera in a bag with a warmer on the lift, how long (ball-park) would it operate before cooling to ambient and shutting down?

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,143 Posts
"Don't heat as warm" might also be a good thing. Don't want to warp the plastic or anything.

So, for those who use warmers with their cameras, how long does a "warming" last? Assuming I pop the camera in a bag with a warmer on the lift, how long (ball-park) would it operate before cooling to ambient and shutting down?
I couldn't give you a definitive number for how much longer. What I can say is they last significantly longer than they do when they're allowed to get cold first before using. :shrug:

Of course,.. as soon as Im finished with any given run and between shooting, I place the GP back in the pouch with the hand warmers to extend the batt's usefulness.

Ive got one of the OG GP's and a Hero2. The cold performance of any of these batteries is definitely an issue. Nothing I've found lets them last as long as Id like them to once the temp gets under about 20°-25°.

If you're really serious about having them available for filming your SB adventures? You might also want to get one of those portable battety backup chargers. I bought one to help keep my fruit phone charged on the hill.

I can re-charge my phone to full power once or twice as well as boosting the charge on a couple of GP batts.

Truth is,... all these electronic gadgets are a real pita to maintain & update as well as a drain on the wallet. :rolleyes: :laugh:

·
Super Moderator
5,740 Posts
I brought the Rylo up to Seymour today. I'd bought some of those warmers that chomps suggested. The Rylo camera comes with a couple of cloth bags, and one of them has a spring top and two compartments. I think it's supposed to be for the camera and cables, but I put one of the warmer packs in one side, and slid the camera into the other compartment at the end of every run. It fits even with the adventure case, and the spring top makes sure it stays put. It would probably be a lot of trouble if I was using the camera helmet-top, but on a stick it's relatively easy. Also worked fine. I got 7 videos without the thing cutting out on me.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I brought the Rylo up to Seymour today. I'd bought some of those warmers that chomps suggested. The Rylo camera comes with a couple of cloth bags, and one of them has a spring top and two compartments. I think it's supposed to be for the camera and cables, but I put one of the warmer packs in one side, and slid the camera into the other compartment at the end of every run. It fits even with the adventure case, and the spring top makes sure it stays put. It would probably be a lot of trouble if I was using the camera helmet-top, but on a stick it's relatively easy. Also worked fine. I got 7 videos without the thing cutting out on me.

That’s a perfect pocket. After every run I put the little black bag back over the camera so I could keep a warmer in there as well if I have issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,573 Posts
How much are these things? We have used drift for years but gopro video and camera quality is way better now. The 700 price is crazy though.

If drift had a little bit bigger FOV and video stabilization they would be perfect.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How much are these things? We have used drift for years but gopro video and camera quality is way better now. The 700 price is crazy though.

If drift had a little bit bigger FOV and video stabilization they would be perfect.
They are all expensive. I got mine at Christmas for $400 but I think regular price is $500. Of course, then you still need the adventure case for $60 and the extra batteries for $24 each, I believe.

I think these cameras do shoot “regular” video - one of the modes is 180 front/back - but I haven’t used it because I love the 360° features. Since 180° is larger FOV than normal it might crop down to normal with good image stabilization. I’ll try to check it out here someday and report.

If you want to stick with the GoPro style I hear the Hero 7 now has great image stabilization.

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,143 Posts
1 - 20 of 55 Posts