Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Does anyone use the Rylo with the Android app?

I have no Apple products and their software seems to be Apple-first.

Trying to decide whether to get a Rylo or a Hero 7 Black.

·
Super Moderator
5,740 Posts
Does anyone use the Rylo with the Android app?

I have no Apple products and their software seems to be Apple-first.

Trying to decide whether to get a Rylo or a Hero 7 Black.
Isn't the Fusion the GoPro 360° equivalent? IIRC, it's several hundred $$ more expensive and almost twice as heavy. OTOH, it has a hardware remote that you can wear around your wrist.

Regardless of which way you go, I'd seriously suggest you get a 360 rather than a traditional frame camera.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Isn't the Fusion the GoPro 360° equivalent? IIRC, it's several hundred $$ more expensive and almost twice as heavy. OTOH, it has a hardware remote that you can wear around your wrist.

Regardless of which way you go, I'd seriously suggest you get a 360 rather than a traditional frame camera.
I *really* want a 360 camera but most of them seem to use a phone app for editing, and I'd likely have to also upgrade my phone (running out of storage space as it is; certainly no room to store 4k videos)

As I don't have a Mac it looks like I'm out of luck with Rylo at the moment. The Inst360 One X looks doable but they don't have the waterproof case available, and the GoPro Fusion is $700 and heavy like you mentioned.

I'd be all over this if I could spend ~$500 and have something that would be guaranteed to work with a PC but it looks like these things haven't matured yet.

Also my riding buddy has a Hero 6 so we could potentially bring a lot of traditional cameras mounted to helmets, gimbals, and boards and get some pretty great videos that way. I'd plan to mount my Hero 2 to a board if I get a new one.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
As you can imagine, I also recommend a 360° camera. It’s been amazing. The editing on the phone is brilliant, but it does require a compatible device. I’m not an android guy, but I’d guess the Rylo at least requires a pretty modern model.

I have filled my 256GB iPhone X with the footage. It’s waste, of course, as I could and have seriously cut that down with the most basic management, but the footage does add up quickly. I had to start consciously moving things to my computer or another card if I wanted to keep the raw footage.

We just added mtn bikes to the van so we have boards and bikes for the next adventures. I bought a cheap mount and made a quick video to test - it’s going to be awesome from a bike as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,740 Posts
Today I took a short nothing video with my Rylo and processed it for Virtual Reality video on YouTube. The link is here:

You should be able to drag around your POV with your mouse.

I'm not sure why the final product is so mushy and low-rez. It might be that a commercial product will do a better job. But as a first cut, it's an incredible way to product videos. You can set the POV during post-production, but the user can scroll elsewhere if there's something they want to see.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Today I took a short nothing video with my Rylo and processed it for Virtual Reality video on YouTube.
Cool.

How did you do that? I tried once with what I thought worked but it did not. I thought my nephew would be able to watch with a VR headset and it didn’t work at all.

As an unrelated update, I did take mine out mountain biking. It was nice right up until the plastic extension on my handlebars broke and the adventure case hit the ground. Fortunately they sell replacement kits for the lenses so I just got that and fixed it. When I looked at the video the stabilization was insanely good. My ride wasn’t very interesting so I didn’t do anything with the footage, but it has great potential.

·
Super Moderator
5,740 Posts
Cool.

How did you do that? I tried once with what I thought worked but it did not. I thought my nephew would be able to watch with a VR headset and it didn’t work at all.

As an unrelated update, I did take mine out mountain biking. It was nice right up until the plastic extension on my handlebars broke and the adventure case hit the ground. Fortunately they sell replacement kits for the lenses so I just got that and fixed it. When I looked at the video the stabilization was insanely good. My ride wasn’t very interesting so I didn’t do anything with the footage, but it has great potential.
This link describes the process: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6316263?hl=en

I've discovered that the muddiness of the video is caused by the video being really low quality (1280x768). The camera software seems to be unwilling to offload a 360 video in the original 5.8K. I'm working on it.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
This link describes the process: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6316263?hl=en

I've discovered that the muddiness of the video is caused by the video being really low quality (1280x768). The camera software seems to be unwilling to offload a 360 video in the original 5.8K. I'm working on it.

Thanks. Can you just use the file directly from the micro sd card to get full res?

·
Registered
6,085 Posts
Today I took a short nothing video with my Rylo and processed it for Virtual Reality video on YouTube. The link is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI-q380pTHI

I'm not sure why the final product is so mushy and low-rez. It might be that a commercial product will do a better job. But as a first cut, it's an incredible way to product videos. You can set the POV during post-production, but the user can scroll elsewhere if there's something they want to see.
Oh my gawd:surprise:
That is mind blowing. :nerd:
The videos you could take with that.>:)

Yup, I gotta get one of those.:embarrased1:

TT

I need one of those so bad

·
Super Moderator
5,740 Posts
Thanks. Can you just use the file directly from the micro sd card to get full res?

Don't think so. The Rylo site says the raw file is actually two spherical videos, one from each camera. I'm continuing to play around with it.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Thanks for the formatting link, @donutz. Here is one of our backcountry videos reformatted for the 360º viewing. I've sent it to my nephews to see if how well it works in a VR headset. If I hear back I'll let you know if it worked. (Or if anyone has a VR headset try it and let us know!)

·
Registered
2,638 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI-q380pTHI

can't see the link ….

·
Registered
548 Posts
Did a run with the Insta 360 one X. It's pretty cool, I admit, but riding with a pole in my hand is not something I enjoy. It will be used to film the kids in the future.

https://youtu.be/bMgHLeujPXU
Don't remember what settings I used and this is the only film I've shot. I didn't use any case. Just the camera on a stick. I'll get to learning it eventually, but I'm not going to be riding with a selfie stick in the future. Most likely I'll just use a helmet mount and since it's a 360 camera it's not impossible for family members to wear it as well.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts