Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Very different boards. What type of riding are you wanting to do, and where do you ride? I haven't ridden the TF but really want to! Been tempted to buy a 163 Stealth.
Dancehaul is going to be the most versatile, Trannyfinder will definitely be more aggressive. It's got more camber, more stiffness, more edge, more sidecut. If you want to charge around the mountain and lay trenches go with the TF. If you want to charge around the mountain, lay trenches, but do it in a playful way, hit the park and ride switch more, go with the dancehaul.
Thanks for the response. So I currently have a 163w K2 Broadcast which is my hard-charger. I wanted something to balance that out with something more playful that can do pow/trees well, but also charge when needed. I don't do any park/switch (for now).

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I’ve ridden the Dancehaul (not as much as Phedder but my limited time on it is 100 % how he reviewed it) and I own CR 59 and 64, ridden Pencil 64 and Otto 61. Very different boards like he said.
CR and Pencil are very similar to the TF, the shape difference doesn’t change much on piste apart from a slightly more upkick on the TF and Pencil compared to the CR.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I’ve ridden the Dancehaul (not as much as Phedder but my limited time on it is 100 % how he reviewed it) and I own CR 59 and 64, ridden Pencil 64 and Otto 61. Very different boards like he said.
CR and Pencil are very similar to the TF, the shape difference doesn’t change much on piste apart from a slightly more upkick on the TF and Pencil compare to the CR.
Is the stiffness between the TF and DH really that different? They are both rated at medium flex...

Would it be a bad idea to have both, and sell my 163W instead?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Is the stiffness between the TF and DH really that different? They are both rated at medium flex...

Would it be a bad idea to have both, and sell my 163W instead?
Both have a progressive flex so stiffer tail but that progressiveness is way stronger in the TF. Apart from that the TF is noticeably stiffer overall, so the closer you are to the tail on the Korua, the bigger the difference. The DH is also much softer torsionally.

If you can actually carve, not scarve when the sidecut radius doesn’t matter and a 6~~ m sidecut feels good at long high speed ‚carves’, you will also notice how different the sidecuts between the DH and TF are.

I haven’t ridden the Broadcast, didn’t even flex it. The only thing I can say is that I see K2 rates it 7 flex, same as K2 Simple Pleasures. IF this is consistent within K2 lineup (not always the case), it will be much softer than a Korua. I would rate the K2 Simple Pleasures I’ve ridden like 6/10 flex and Koruas a 7,5/10 overall feel. I’m almost certain that your Broadcast is more playful than the TF.

·
Premium Member
3,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Thanks for the response. So I currently have a 163w K2 Broadcast which is my hard-charger. I wanted something to balance that out with something more playful that can do pow/trees well, but also charge when needed. I don't do any park/switch (for now).
Sounds like The Dancehaul would definitely fit then, though it is also well suited to the park. Some other options could be the Rome Stalefish or Service Dog depending on how stiff you want it. Bataleon Party Wave Plus as well? Lots of short fats would compliment a 163W well.

Reactions: supern00b

·
Registered
290 Posts
@Phedder
comparing DH to the Super 8 in terms of carving? which one is a better carver in your opinion since you rode both. I have a first call 157 and I like the flex of that board. I keep reading the 151 first call is the closest to the DH. The first call is no longer in Salomon's line. What I like about the specs of the Super 8 is the back foot camber and it's a mid wide board but I'm not sure about the flex especially torsional flex. Boards that I own with similar shape and profile are the Telos B/S and Rome Pow Division 153. There might be a big overlap with the Telos B/S (very similar specs as the DH). Do you think the Super 8 is a better option and less overlap than the DH? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
3,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
@Phedder
comparing DH to the Super 8 in terms of carving? which one is a better carver in your opinion since you rode both. I have a first call 157 and I like the flex of that board. I keep reading the 151 first call is the closest to the DH. The first call is no longer in Salomon's line. What I like about the specs of the Super 8 is the back foot camber and it's a mid wide board but I'm not sure about the flex especially torsional flex. Boards that I own with similar shape and profile are the Telos B/S and Rome Pow Division 153. There might be a big overlap with the Telos B/S (very similar specs as the DH). Do you think the Super 8 is a better option and less overlap than the DH? I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Yeah sounds like you've got some overlap with the Dancehaul so unless you specifically want another short-fat style board I'd go the Super 8. It's also a better choice for carving by far, longer sidecut and more effective edge. The flex between them is fairly similar.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'd for sure buy the 157 Dancehaul Pro for All Mountain duties, and a 152 regular Dancehaul for party boarding and playful days.
@Phedder I am "usually" around 195-200 lbs, 5'8". Do you think I will be okay with a 152 Dancehaul?
Some background: I usually ride a 158 Yes Typo. Looking for something shorter more agile/fun. I compared the width of the 2 boards, and the Dancehaul is just a little wider.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
@Phedder I am "usually" around 195-200 lbs, 5'8". Do you think I will be okay with a 152 Dancehaul?
Some background: I usually ride a 158 Yes Typo. Looking for something shorter more agile/fun. I compared the width of the 2 boards, and the Dancehaul is just a little wider.

Thanks in advance.
I really hope so because I've got one sitting in plastic right now hah. If you're looking for more agile and playful than your 158 Typo then I think it'd be a great fit. I'm confident I'll have a lot of fun on the 152, but I know it'll have its limits compared to my 157.

Reactions: talm222

·
Registered
181 Posts

Thanks in advance.
I am about the same weight/height tested 152 beginning of last season. I have 151 salomon derby, 157 assassin, 163 super 8. This felt as agile as 151, and as springy and capable as an assassin mixed with super 8. Tail is sturdier than the nose. I guess in the size 152 it would substitute both derby and assassin as an the easy allmountain freestyle snowboard

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
@Phedder

Have you spend any time on the 152 DH now? I have a potential trade offer with someone offering me a 147 DH for a 147 orca and I'm tempted. I'm 5'10 170-175 (goal weight 165) and size 8 boots. I know the sidecuts on these are on the lower side (7ish), but I'm leery of sizing up too much and ending up with too huge a WW.

·
Premium Member
3,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Not yet, just pulled it out of the wrapper and waxed it for my coming days off then got an invite to Revelstoke. It's the last board in my quiver I'd be taking there hah, Wednesday afternoon I might be able to get on it.

A riding buddy who's 5'8 150-160ish had the 147 last season, loved it but ended up snapping it under the rear binding on a tail heavy landing. He now has the 152 and loves it even more.

147 -> 152 is the biggest size jump in terms of dimensions, waist goes from 255 to 264. It's a unisex board but the 143 and 147 are definitely built with females in mind and the 152 and 157 males in mind, IMO. Obviously you could still ride the 147 and have a blast if you're looking for a playful party board you can manhandle around the mountain and flick through the trees. But if you want something you could take a more all mountain approach on I'd say you definitely want the 152.

·
Premium Member
3,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
@Phedder

Have you spend any time on the 152 DH now? I have a potential trade offer with someone offering me a 147 DH for a 147 orca and I'm tempted. I'm 5'10 170-175 (goal weight 165) and size 8 boots. I know the sidecuts on these are on the lower side (7ish), but I'm leery of sizing up too much and ending up with too huge a WW.
Spent around 5 hours yesterday and today on the 152 DH at Sunshine, had a blast and it's exactly what I wanted it to be. So much more agile with the narrower width compared to my 157, very playful, wants to pop and spin off everything, which I expected given it's the shortest I've ridden in 2 seasons I think. Will be a blast as a spring slush party board and for days I decide to lap the park or do full sidehit hunting runs all day. Can feel the short length and tight sidecut when pushing it at higher speeds but that's not the type of riding I bought it for. It is easy to overpower though, really had to be conscious of that while buttering but that's because I'm usually on relatively stiff boards. Unfortunately I really want the 152 DH pro now but it's Evo exclusive and I can't bring myself to pay retail for it when I get the regular dancehaul so cheap.

What did you end up doing with the trade?

Reactions: GDimac

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
@Phedder

I'm going to ride the orca once out west before deciding to sell or trade it. I think I'll probably just sell it. I honestly don't know if I can get behind the idea of riding a 148 frequently at all. Something 150+ even volume shifted sounds like it would have a lot more utility for me.

The 147 DH has a max rider weight of about 185. I'm not sure if I want to be that close to it at 170-175ish right now. My ideal weight is like 160-165 and I'll get back to it in a bit, but still just the idea of riding such a short board is a bit wild to me. My fiance rides a 147 dd and weighs like 50lbs less!

@ridethecliche FYI, I am 5'9 160 size 8 and loved the 152 DH.
Yeah, I ride a 156 all mountain board, but have also ridden a 158 as a daily and they were both fine. Sizing down to a 147 just feels like too much. I think @MrDavey2Shoes likes the 147 party platter, but I think the waist width on that is 26.2 vs 255 on the DH. DH does have a tighter sidecut so I think I'd be okay with the 152 even if the WW is a bit much for me. Would be nice if it had a hair more taper though, but the sidecut prolly makes up for it!

41 - 56 of 56 Posts