Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. 6ft0, 200lbs, size 11 burton boots (so really a size 10ish with shrinkage). Looking to grab a playful board for next season, that I will use in park but also all mountain groomers most of the time. Torn between a 158 Huck Knife, 157 or 159 Nitro Team Exposure 2017 (not sure about directional twin?) - can anyone offer me any insight on these boards and sizes? Can't find much info on the Nitro.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
I wouldn't describe the Nitro team as playful. It's an all mountain camber board that can handle the park fine, whereas I'd describe the Huck Knife as a park camber board that can handle all mountain fine. I own a Huck Knife and ride it literally anywhere and everywhere, you won't be disappointed by it. I'd also recommend the wide at a size 11 boot if you like to carve hard at all. I'm similar stature and size 10 boot and the wide is very easy to turn, no issues in the park or in very tight trees.

·
Registered
186 Posts

Might give you some insight and the whole series is pretty cool to watch. Huck Knife was one of the top 3 scoring boards iirc, and the cheapest at that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldn't describe the Nitro team as playful. It's an all mountain camber board that can handle the park fine, whereas I'd describe the Huck Knife as a park camber board that can handle all mountain fine. I own a Huck Knife and ride it literally anywhere and everywhere, you won't be disappointed by it. I'd also recommend the wide at a size 11 boot if you like to carve hard at all. I'm similar stature and size 10 boot and the wide is very easy to turn, no issues in the park or in very tight trees.
Just grabbed a 158w for $240 USD at my local shop. Couldn't pass up the deal. I hope I didn't pick a board that's too wide - it looks good so far doing some flex tests. I just hope it's not too much board to rip around.

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
Good score, I'm sure you'll love it! It's really not too much board to whip around, there's just enough rocker at the contact points to get rid of the typical catchiness people complain about with camber, but retains it's snap and drive when on edge. Salomons base bevel make it very friendly on boxes and rails as well, you'll be good.

I just put a massive core shot in mine that's going to require a big base patch, right outside the front binding toeside as well so a big flex point. I really hope it's going to hold up after the repair :sad1:

·
Registered
368 Posts
I demoed the Huck Knife but ended up getting the Assassin.
Both are great boards but I felt Huck Knife was softer and more park oriented. It has a lot of pop and would be a great jump board. I was looking for more all mountain board that can be ridden in the park.

Here is a pretty good review for the Huck Knife.

·
Registered
156 Posts
i own the huck knife...playful and groomers is the game, its similar feeling to the villian but softer (i owned 153 villian and 155 huck knife). The tail felt more snappy on the villian but the overall feel on the huck knife i like a lot, this is my #1 goto board now unless snow gets heavy.

·
Registered
156 Posts
also stiffness scale: huck knife->villian-> assassin/ultimate ride

the villian and assassin have the same profile and huck knife/ultimate ride same profile

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
also stiffness scale: huck knife->villian-> assassin/ultimate ride

the villian and assassin have the same profile and huck knife/ultimate ride same profile
I've ridden them all, the villain is definitely softer than the Huck Knife, if not by design then the camber profile sure makes it feel that way. The longer rocker in the tips makes them easier to press and a bit more chattery at speed, and a little less poppy too. I damaged my HK and took out the Villain the next day while it was being repaired.

I'd also say the Ultimate Ride is much stiffer than the assassin. Assassin I'd rate just above medium, whereas the UR is firmly in the stiff category. I rode them back to back on a demo day and the UR took more work for sure, but man did it reward good riding. The sidecut is fantastic, twin boards shouldn't carve as well as that did hah.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've ridden them all, the villain is definitely softer than the Huck Knife, if not by design then the camber profile sure makes it feel that way. The longer rocker in the tips makes them easier to press and a bit more chattery at speed, and a little less poppy too. I damaged my HK and took out the Villain the next day while it was being repaired.

I'd also say the Ultimate Ride is much stiffer than the assassin. Assassin I'd rate just above medium, whereas the UR is firmly in the stiff category. I rode them back to back on a demo day and the UR took more work for sure, but man did it reward good riding. The sidecut is fantastic, twin boards shouldn't carve as well as that did hah.
Yea huck knife definitely more poppy. Whatever their doing with the quad camber just feels amazing. For such a soft board it holds speed unbelievably good

1 - 10 of 10 Posts