Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
20 days tops with this combo
forget how good they go on piste or how domfy they feel , bec they are super peformers........

until they do this to the supposedly matched salomon malamute boots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

speechless, utterly speechless.

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
Damn, looks like until you ditch the bindings, things are just gonna get worse.

Carefully trimmed duct tape / cloth tape (round those corners, people!!!) + heat gun, done in 2-3 layers, should do the trick. Repeat as needed.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Interesting. I've had Quantums on one of my boards for four seasons, now, and never seen that on any of my boots.

It looks like the bottom edge of the highback is digging into your boots. Have you adjusted the forward lean to match the forward lean of your boots? It shouldn't have happened in the first place, but I'm wondering if adjusting the forward lean will make it less likely to dig into your boot when you get on your toe edge, as I imagine that's when the sliding and cutting happens -- your heel trying to lift out of the binding and the highback edge cutting into the back of the boot as a result.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'd guess that happened because the flexible heelcup is allowing the bottom of the high back to rub back and forth against the bottom of the boot. Like others have suggested, I'd try adjusting forward lean so that there isn't in contact at that point. Liquid electrical tape would be a good way to repair that damage - I've it used for a bunch of snowboard related repairs: gloves, jackets, pants... Just paint it over the damaged area and you'll barely notice it.

Pretty sure this is the stuff I used: Star Brite 4 oz. Liquid Electrical Tape - Black-084104N - The Home Depot

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so,, I got some shoe goo, and put that on my boots where they were cut to see if that stops them falling apart, feels ok no disruptions to the boots feel , but ive not ridden in them since .
, a " liberal application " was used .
really good stuff this goo, it comes up super tough but also slightly malleable , like uber hard rubber so lets see. if that works.
the forward lean ,there isn't any to speak of and ive never changed it IF I cud. so I put some shoe goo on the razor SHARP base of the highback where it hits the boots and some plastic tape over the top once it had dried , it really softened up the edge of the high back where it hit the boots so im guessing it will help....., guessing!!!

Not being funny , im really quite miffed (pisssed) that a set up by salomon, specially their top of the range boots bindings don't go together, ive been on the hologram/,malamute set up for an eternity , like 15 ish (?) plus seasons and its been perfect, just a bit of soft ride which is fine in powder but u really can feel the diff on piste .... hence why I got the carbons, so its quite obviously a design flaw on the highback, they shud have rounded it im guessing their pro testing on them wasn't thorough enough or long enough ,bec there is NO WAY this shud be happening , I love(d) this set up ., till this happened!!!!!!!
ive been speaking with salomon, ( well kind of ) ive shown them the problem and they ignoring it and make some utter rubbish responce that bears no flow to my issue , this went on for about 30 emails bec its plain and simple to see the problem, ive asked for nothing , no refund , zilch and all they keep doing is saying oh its not our fault , theres nothing we can do thing

say what ??????????????????

" please physically take them back to the shop u bought then from for inspection ....................... ( even tho I sent them the photos about 10 times) .
and IF they were from us and IF they are under warranty we will consider doing something: .............,"

if they are from you. well . who the fk else are they from ?????????????????
that reply didn't sit too well.
I had to take that as a total washing of the hands and a huge " fk you" to me so i knew there was no point speaking to them any longer im fkkd on these.... .
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.... realizing they weren't going to do a thing about it
I think I promptly ended my 30+ yr snow association with their gear once and for all in an expletive laden tirade of biblical proportions.!!!!!!

I don't think ill hear from them again but it made me feel good., fkd up boots and all!

no worries my end ill don out the family going forawards with someone else gear that stand by their manufacturing and design process,theres sure to be one out there somewhere.

time to look for another maker with some balls behind their ideas bec salomon is totally dead to me , their lack of responsibility acceptance is unbelievable.

well heres the proto look it aint pretty but hoping this patch work will do for a bit

20200324_164429.jpg

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
There is forward lean adjustment. One screw on each side. Slide them back. Try halfway to start and you'll see that it becomes unlikely for the highback to still be able to dig into your boots. The screws manage forward lean and highback rotation together, which is less than ideal, but the forward lean is more important than the rotation, especially with the wings built into the highbacks. I can take photos of the screws and adjustment I'm describing if that helps, but there are only two screws attached to the highbacks.

In my opinion there's no point having responsive bindings and then not setting the forward lean to match the lean built into your boots. Leaving it like that leaves you with "dead space" between your boot and the highback, slowing toe-to-heel transitions and making heelside turns less efficient.

·
Registered
80 Posts
There is forward lean adjustment. One screw on each side. Slide them back. Try halfway to start and you'll see that it becomes unlikely for the highback to still be able to dig into your boots. The screws manage forward lean and highback rotation together, which is less than ideal, but the forward lean is more important than the rotation, especially with the wings built into the highbacks. I can take photos of the screws and adjustment I'm describing if that helps, but there are only two screws attached to the highbacks.

In my opinion there's no point having responsive bindings and then not setting the forward lean to match the lean built into your boots. Leaving it like that leaves you with "dead space" between your boot and the highback, slowing toe-to-heel transitions and making heelside turns less efficient.
Agreed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ahh yes , I see waht u mean, slide the screws back and the lean increases.
will try that this weekend. cheers for the tip!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts