Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Traveling to SLC in about 10 days. I'll have three days available for riding, been riding in the Midwest about a half dozen times, can manage the greens and some blues pretty well (Illinois grades ;))
Wondering where to go. I've been researching online a bit. leaning towards a day at Beaver mountain, a day at Powder mountain and potentially going to Snowbird.
I realize I'm way to green to take any kind of advantage of Snowbird, but from what I hear the trip up the mountain in the tram just for sight seeing is worthwhile.

I'm liking Powder mountain due to all the green and blue runs, apparently available off of every lift (very cool). If I'm comfortable on the beginner/intermediate runs at powder mountain, should I consider hitting up Snowbird? I see they have beginner runs you can reach by going through the mountain on a magic carpet to Mineral basin. Seems like an epic place!
Thanks for any and all suggestions/advice/words of wisdom/cautionary tales :|
Cheers

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Traveling to SLC in about 10 days. I'll have three days available for riding, been riding in the Midwest about a half dozen times, can manage the greens and some blues pretty well (Illinois grades ;))
Wondering where to go. I've been researching online a bit. leaning towards a day at Beaver mountain, a day at Powder mountain and potentially going to Snowbird.
I realize I'm way to green to take any kind of advantage of Snowbird, but from what I hear the trip up the mountain in the tram just for sight seeing is worthwhile.

I'm liking Powder mountain due to all the green and blue runs, apparently available off of every lift (very cool). If I'm comfortable on the beginner/intermediate runs at powder mountain, should I consider hitting up Snowbird? I see they have beginner runs you can reach by going through the mountain on a magic carpet to Mineral basin. Seems like an epic place!
Thanks for any and all suggestions/advice/words of wisdom/cautionary tales :|
Cheers
Snowbird has some pretty steep terrain. If all you can do is manage greens and blues in the Midwest, I'd do Brighton. The tram is expert only so you'd be going up the tram just to go back down on the tram.

I was comfortable doing double blacks at Granite Peak, and some of the blacks at Snowbird were still tough for me. And I'm pretty sure Granite Peak is much tougher than any Illinois slopes.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Snowbird has some pretty steep terrain. If all you can do is manage greens and blues in the Midwest, I'd do Brighton. The tram is expert only so you'd be going up the tram just to go back down on the tram.

I was comfortable doing double blacks at Granite Peak, and some of the blacks at Snowbird were still tough for me. And I'm pretty sure Granite Peak is much tougher than any Illinois slopes.
Thanks for the advice, I've been skiing at Granite peak and stayed clear of the black diamonds. Brighton looks like a good spot for mellow cruising. Something like a Holiday Inn express in SLC probably the best route for lodging? Chances of getting there with a rental car or should I look at the shuttles?
Appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Thanks for the advice, I've been skiing at Granite peak and stayed clear of the black diamonds. Brighton looks like a good spot for mellow cruising. Something like a Holiday Inn express in SLC probably the best route for lodging? Chances of getting there with a rental car or should I look at the shuttles?
Appreciate it!
If it's snowing you will want chains, otherwise take the bus at the base to the resorts. I stayed at an Airbnb.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it's snowing you will want chains, otherwise take the bus at the base to the resorts. I stayed at an Airbnb.
Thinking I need to camp out somewhere with a lot of greens and just do tons of laps, maybe Beaver mountain. I see your in Urbana, I grew up there and live in Champaign now.
Small world

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Thinking I need to camp out somewhere with a lot of greens and just do tons of laps, maybe Beaver mountain. I see your in Urbana, I grew up there and live in Champaign now.
Small world
Awesome! I'm still here in Champaign for another 3 years. Just came back from Grand Geneva yesterday for Chill Foundation.

Brighton has some good greens and blues, big open runs. And if you want to challenge yourself, they have blacks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome! I'm still here in Champaign for another 3 years. Just came back from Grand Geneva yesterday for Chill Foundation.

Brighton has some good greens and blues, big open runs. And if you want to challenge yourself, they have blacks.
Never heard of the Chill foundation, the concept is way cool. I just started learning to snowboard, skied a bit 35 years ago. A tremendous feeling being back on the slopes again (hooked now), totally get how the exposure can change someone's life for the better.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Never heard of the Chill foundation, the concept is way cool. I just started learning to snowboard, skied a bit 35 years ago. A tremendous feeling being back on the slopes again (hooked now), totally get how the exposure can change someone's life for the better.
It was my first time getting to work with them, absolutely awesome! We had to deal with terrible weather, but it was still a blast. This is my 2nd year riding, but I got real invested into it. Did maybe 10-15 days last year at Granite Peak alone with friends, and I did 6 weeks out west this year.

Granite Peak is a really good trainer mountain for out west with a big variety of terrain. Devil's Head isn't too shabby either. If you can get down blacks comfortably at Granite Peak, then you'll be able to take on blues out west pretty easily.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was my first time getting to work with them, absolutely awesome! We had to deal with terrible weather, but it was still a blast. This is my 2nd year riding, but I got real invested into it. Did maybe 10-15 days last year at Granite Peak alone with friends, and I did 6 weeks out west this year.

Granite Peak is a really good trainer mountain for out west with a big variety of terrain. Devil's Head isn't too shabby either. If you can get down blacks comfortably at Granite Peak, then you'll be able to take on blues out west pretty easily.
a great program/concept! I can't imagine getting down a black at granite peak, though I'm progressing pretty well with so few opportunities to go. I'm sure I'll find more opportunities

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Appreciate it!
SLC is pretty easy to get around in, if you stay downtown prices are good at "The Little AMERICA"(Not Grand America) or at the Hyatt Place. Light rail runs by both and goes straight up 4th to University of Utah. Take Foothill bus from stadium stop south to base of little or big cottonwood canyons, each have buses that take you to each resort on the canyons. A UTA day ticket works on light rail and buses. I think it was about $4 last month. I have family there and drive but still take the buses up as they are pretty quick and no parking fee. Brighton is the college hangout with lots of easier runs but a few aggressive ones too. Rich kids go to Canyons and Park city, old people skiers to Alta, and powder hounds/steeps at snowbird. If your there the "pie" pizza place under the pharmacy just down from university stadium stop has good new york style pizza and cheap beer. Message board there often has hook ups for cheap lift tickets and car pool rides to Park City.

·
Registered
138 Posts

That's only if it's windy and low visibility, ski partol will put an 'experts only' sign at the plaza for the tram

otherwise the tram gives you access to Upper Chip's (a blue/green Cat track) and Path to Paradise (a narrow but mellow path to mineral basin). These are mellow blue/green trails.

Even if you don't take the tram up, riding in the Gad Valley is great, esp in the mornings

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTFAv4oARFK/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I'm from Chicago, spent my years riding at Wilmot and Alpine Valley

I was in SLC 4 weeks ago, it snowed too much and I got locked out of the canyon and ended up going to Snowbasin (40 min north of SLC) - I highly recommend it too, less crowds, great terrain…the town of Ogden is fun. I did go to the Bird the next day and experienced the best powder day of my life.

If you want really cheap ski bum accommodations, the town of Midvale is your best bet, only 30 min drive from the canyons, really cheap motels

·
Registered
138 Posts
You'll be fine with winter tires + AWD/4WD. If it ever comes to a point that you need 4WD AND chains, they won't open the canyons.

I rent an awd car anytime i go to SLC (it's really cheap) - all the rental companies have winter tires on their trucks/suvs

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
You'll be fine with winter tires + AWD/4WD. If it ever comes to a point that you need 4WD AND chains, they won't open the canyons.

I rent an awd car anytime i go to SLC (it's really cheap) - all the rental companies have winter tires on their trucks/suvs
Hmm... I'm almost positive that no rental company doesn't actually put winter tires on their cars because it would be a huge financial burden on them. I would call to make sure, especially since you could get a car that comes from out of state as a one way rental. Also just saw you aren't supposed to be chains on rental cars.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hmm... I'm almost positive that no rental company doesn't actually put winter tires on their cars because it would be a huge financial burden on them. I would call to make sure, especially since you could get a car that comes from out of state as a one way rental. Also just saw you aren't supposed to be chains on rental cars.
i probably should have said winter rated, not winter tires…
fwiw, the last 3 cars i rented (wrangler, 4runner, frontera) had tires with the mountain snowflake symbol on the walls, which is what you'll need if you don't have awd/4wd. They'll still let you drive into the canyons if you just have awd/4wd and regular tires

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's only if it's windy and low visibility, ski partol will put an 'experts only' sign at the plaza for the tram

otherwise the tram gives you access to Upper Chip's (a blue/green Cat track) and Path to Paradise (a narrow but mellow path to mineral basin). These are mellow blue/green trails.

Even if you don't take the tram up, riding in the Gad Valley is great, esp in the mornings

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTFAv4oARFK/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I'm from Chicago, spent my years riding at Wilmot and Alpine Valley

I was in SLC 4 weeks ago, it snowed too much and I got locked out of the canyon and ended up going to Snowbasin (40 min north of SLC) - I highly recommend it too, less crowds, great terrain…the town of Ogden is fun. I did go to the Bird the next day and experienced the best powder day of my life.

If you want really cheap ski bum accommodations, the town of Midvale is your best bet, only 30 min drive from the canyons, really cheap motels
Thanks for the tips! I started out skiing at Wilmot, Cascade and Devils head. Took a 35 year break and here I am learning to snowboard. I've just started linking turns, need to get a lot of practice in. So best bet is someplace relatively quiet, with long greens and blues. Originally thought about trying different places but realized it could cut into my limited time there.

·
Registered
138 Posts
yeah, i'd just spend 3 days at Snowbird (instead of driving around)

I know it's got a rep for being an advanced mtn, but there's plenty of greens and blues for you to try there.

You'll like Chips, it's a very long 2.5 mile mellow green/blue that you can practice your turns on

if mineral basin is open, lap the Baldy lift...even more mellow green/blues with a great view

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah, i'd just spend 3 days at Snowbird (instead of driving around)

I know it's got a rep for being an advanced mtn, but there's plenty of greens and blues for you to try there.

You'll like Chips, it's a very long 2.5 mile mellow green/blue that you can practice your turns on

if mineral basin is open, lap the Baldy lift...even more mellow green/blues with a great view
Thanks, any suggestions on lodging? I'll have a rental car, and a new pair of boots Wiredsport recommended. Will be looking for a good spot to get the boots heat molded and curious If I should upgrade the insoles.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Thanks, any suggestions on lodging? I'll have a rental car, and a new pair of boots Wiredsport recommended. Will be looking for a good spot to get the boots heat molded and curious If I should upgrade the insoles.
Stay near the canyon. Up to you if you want to upgrade insoles. I have medium arches and found it a big improvement.

·
Registered
138 Posts
depends what your budget is?, if you can stay in Snowbird (Iron Blosson, Snowbird Inn, or be a baller and stay at the Cliff) or anywhere else inside Little Cotton Wood canyon (e.g. Altaperuvian - it's dorm and not expensive but you'll be in Alta!), that'd be ideal, esp if they close the canyon for avalanche control and you get interlodged!, then you'll get the entire mountain to yourself and few other lucky few

otherwise, like I mentioned earlier, you can get a really cheap motel out in Midvale, like $60/night and only 30-40 min drive to Snowbird (or Brighton, Solitude). Most people that work at Snowbird live in Sandy or Jordan...But truth be told, just about anywhere in SLC is an easy drive to Snowbird, so just find something you want and in your price range

You can just go to Christy Sports in the Snowbird Plaza to get your liners heat molded

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
depends what your budget is?, if you can stay in Snowbird (Iron Blosson, Snowbird Inn, or be a baller and stay at the Cliff) or anywhere else inside Little Cotton Wood canyon (e.g. Altaperuvian - it's dorm and not expensive but you'll be in Alta!), that'd be ideal, esp if they close the canyon for avalanche control and you get interlodged!, then you'll get the entire mountain to yourself and few other lucky few

otherwise, like I mentioned earlier, you can get a really cheap motel out in Midvale, like $60/night and only 30-40 min drive to Snowbird (or Brighton, Solitude). Most people that work at Snowbird live in Sandy or Jordan...But truth be told, just about anywhere in SLC is an easy drive to Snowbird, so just find something you want and in your price range

You can just go to Christy Sports in the Snowbird Plaza to get your liners heat molded
The highway system in SLC is sweet. Soooooo fast and easy to get around town. Only sucks if there's a powder day. Then traffic absolutely SUCKS going up the canyon.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts