Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
For people following this thread and wanting more feedback about Utah - here's my take..

Thinking it was gonna be an awful season in California last year (was dead wrong - Cali got hit with storm after storm, both Tahoe and Mammoth had the goods) planned and went to Niseko (Jan '19), Banff (Sunshine, and Lake Louise) - (Feb 28' 19), Mammoth (Mid March), and finally Utah (Snowbird and Brighton) April '19. Definitely put my Mountain Collective pass to good use.

Honestly, Utah is the real deal - week we went, spring snowstorms gave us powder. Snowbird was awesome with it's two huge bowls (albeit, visibility was near 0 at times - not quite sure if it was fog, or a cloud that rolled in), and I still dream about Brighton with it's wide open runs and trees. If you can ride blue runs comfortably - there's no reason why you can't ride the bowls in Snowbird (just traverse it on parts that you believe is too steep), it'll make you a much better rider being able to deal with variable snow and terrain. If you are truly just a greenie then Brighton is where you'll want to be.

UTAH in my opinion has the perfect balance of

* Mountain selection (you got Snowbird, Brighton, Solitude, and etc).
* Affordability (we stayed at Sandy, UT) - lots of lodging and food options.
* Access (took us 30-40 minutes to drive from the Airport to get to Sandy, UT) - Sandy, UT -> Resorts only took us 30-35 minutes at most and the *drive* was easy..

The Canadian Rockies (Banff) was awesome too albeit when I went there, they had a cold spell and it was -34c (WTF!). But "Lake Louise" is definitely an awesome mountain as well (groomer paradise IMO) but I liked Snowbird better.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Right on, we just booked another trip to Utah for February. Had a great time last year at Powder the mountain, was my first big mountain experience and it didn't disappoint.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts