Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided on a spur of the moment trip to Jay Peak with The Boy Sunday. Just a one day trip, but want to make the most of it, so hoping for good lift and trail info. We're both all mountain riders, but he's 9 so not super hardcore. He loves glades, so any good blue/single black glades would be appreciated. Also looking for fun natural cut type trails.

Getting an early start - probably not first chair, but close. What lift/area should we hit first? Then what? And where's the best lunch?

TIA.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
With a 9 year old in tow, I would hit the Flyer first ( locals call it the Freezer. If the wind is blowing, you'll quickly know why!) and take Ulf's Dream. It's a great warm up run and you can catch a number of Glade opportunities along the way.

An easy glade to start with would be Kokomo. Just beware that ( depending on conditions ) you might need to carry some speed out of the glades as Ulf's flattens out to a green at the bottom.

Jay is one of the eastern mountains where Black is indeed Black. Do not take them lightly, especially if there is any ice.

A Great mountain, you will have a blast. Enjoy the experience

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Off the Flyer the North Glades can be fun - steeper at the top and flatter near the bottom. With the kid, make sure to take the tram at least once just for the experience. Green Beret is a solid black diamond off the top - only the very top makes it a black diamond and the steep section is only a few turns. I usually ended spending most of my time on the Jet Triple. Head over to Timbuktu if the conditions are decent for some real fun exploring in the trees. Just make sure to traverse back to the lift in time or you will end up hitch hiking back to the area.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good stuff, thanks. Pretty psyched.

Now we see how they rebound from the rain. *sigh*

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Good stuff, thanks. Pretty psyched.

Now we see how they rebound from the rain. *sigh*

Is it definitely going to rain? They are the furthest north and the most likely to stay in the arctic air. Maybe you will get lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it definitely going to rain? They are the furthest north and the most likely to stay in the arctic air. Maybe you will get lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They got some. I was watching the radar all day and it wasn't as heavy as elsewhere at least. They are due for snow showers next couple days and they are blowing snow, so I'm sure it'll be decent. We just scored a cool cabin too so no matter what we'll have a good adventure.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was a good little adventure.

Groomers were firm. Upper mountain was really scratchy, lower was carvable. Tram was on wind hold, and Bonaventure quad was closed for some reason. Kinda lousy, because I think that would have been a good chair to ride, given the conditions.

Woods were pretty good, soft enough but just a little unpredictable with the crust layer.

Jay is one of the eastern mountains where Black is indeed Black. Do not take them lightly, especially if there is any ice.
I definitely took heed to this, and as a result didn't go crazy exploring the place. I wish they broke it down to black and double black. Pretty sure if I brought The Boy back broken, my wife wouldn't be real happy about a return trip.

Gotta say, Sheady Acres is a killer place to stay. Eamon is a good dude. And Snow Shoe lodge has good grubbins, but I'm glad we didn't stay there. lol.

A Great mountain, you will have a blast. Enjoy the experience
We did indeed. Thanks. Gonna have to do it again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts