Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after a few times out this year I was flat basing on terrain that wasn't steep with no issue, especially cat tracks. Then once out of nowhere, I scorpioned HARD, not even going that fast. The problem is I don't know what I was doing wrong. So now I am very shy of flatbasing, even slowly on flat terrain.

I have a C2 BTX (aka RC on Neversummer) board.

Is there some trick to doing that while guaranteeing you won't catch an edge? I was way past the point of catching edges in normal riding so it was a little surprising. Yet I see other people flat base bombing steep black sections. And obviously you need to be able to do this at decent speed for most jumps. Usually when I try, I start feeling my back-end get a little squirrely and feel like I narrowly missed another scorpion. What am I missing? Keep all your weight on the front foot?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Not always recommended. I'm usually at least pressuring ever so slightly one edge or the other, but if you do flatbase, get all of you weight forward on the board.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Even if you're not engaging an edge you at least want some pressure on one of them. Yea you can get away with going completely flat based for a little while but every so often you're going to catch an edge when you least expect it. The best way to cure this is to simply not ride flat. Even straight airing off jumps and landing it's a good idea to have a bit of pressure on one of the edges.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
I start feeling my back-end get a little squirrely and feel like I narrowly missed another scorpion. What am I missing? Keep all your weight on the front foot?
your backend feels squirrely that's your clue, are a bit in the backseat; shift to the front seat…
Edit: also make sure you are stacked and parallel with close shoulders and hips. You were likely rotated open and in the backseat....the usual set up for a scorpion

·
Registered
922 Posts
Even when you think someone is flatbasing, they're usually not..you need to pick an edge..even if its just SLIGHTLY to one side, and you wont catch your edges.
My ex-friend (unrelated) insisted that he rode flatbased..I told him to pay attention when he thought he was doing that and he came back and told me that he was actually putting a very small amount of pressure on his toes without even realizing it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Even when you think someone is flatbasing, they're usually not..you need to pick an edge..even if its just SLIGHTLY to one side, and you wont catch your edges.
My ex-friend (unrelated) insisted that he rode flatbased..I told him to pay attention when he thought he was doing that and he came back and told me that he was actually putting a very small amount of pressure on his toes without even realizing it.
Exactly...... Don't ever simply flat base unless you want to end up doing an awesome scorp eventually. Always, always stay slightly on edge...I have a C2BTX board as well, and it will save your ass compared to a regular camber board, but I still never ever, ever, ride without engaging an edge. You can ride out a landing flat and most cases be fine for a little while, but if your not on an edge ASAP you might end up on yer ass pretty quick.

I think of it like this... If you're actually flat basing, you're not actually snowboarding, what you're doing is standing on a snowboard. My 2 year old can stand on a snowboard (flat-base down a hill), but he sure as shit can't snowboard.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Exactly...... Don't ever simply flat base unless you want to end up doing an awesome scorp eventually. Always, always stay slightly on edge...I have a C2BTX board as well, and it will save your ass compared to a regular camber board, but I still never ever, ever, ride without engaging an edge. You can ride out a landing flat and most cases be fine for a little while, but if your not on an edge ASAP you might end up on yer ass pretty quick.

I think of it like this... If you're actually flat basing, you're not actually snowboarding, what you're doing is standing on a snowboard. My 2 year old can stand on a snowboard (flat-base down a hill), but he sure as shit can't snowboard.
May as well stand on a sled. :laugh:

·
Registered
162 Posts
That can't be right, because people flatbase all the time, especially before take-off and after landing. As well as just cruising.

I doubt many people are actually cruising flatbased, thats asking to do what you just experienced.

Taking off flatbased is really only a few seconds of actually flatbasing and hopefully if the park is maintained you won't have any problems. You don't have to takeoff flat either, you can use a low edge angle like cro mentioned. When I land, I try to engage an edge as soon as I gather myself. Landings where I ride are usually sketchy so I wouldn't want to be flatbasing long at all.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
May as well stand on a sled. :laugh:
So you don't consider boardercross to be snowboarding, ok. :icon_scratch:

Of course no one is talking about going top to bottom in a straight line while flat, but there is a ton of flat base riding in boardercross.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
here's the deal, ur cruising along rotated open shoulder (mystery date), in the backseat and on heel edge...doing just fine....but then you switch edge to toe and bam scorped

its because you didn't get in the front seat
or close before you went toeside
or likely both

there is lots of arguement about flatbased verses really on edge...

yes admittedly you want to be on a edge...but there are times that you are flat enough...yet on a very slight edge, that if you don't have you technique down you are going to eat shit...Thus the arguement is senseless because no one talks about the finer points of when, where and how to ride at a very very low angle....i.e, flatbased

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
So you don't consider boardercross to be snowboarding, ok. :icon_scratch:

Of course no one is talking about going top to bottom in a straight line while flat, but there is a ton of flat base riding in boardercross.
I was just joking... When he said a 2 year old standing on a board it made me think of when we were kids and we'd try to stand up in our sleds. Funny shit. (the sleds, not your scorpions)

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
here's the deal, ur cruising along rotated open shoulder (mystery date)TE'O'd, in the backseat and on heel edge...doing just fine....but then you switch edge to toe and bam scorped

its because you didn't get in the front seat
or close before you went toeside
or likely both

there is lots of arguement about flatbased verses really on edge...

yes admittedly you want to be on a edge...but there are times that you are flat enough...yet on a very slight edge, that if you don't have you technique down you are going to eat shit...Thus the arguement is senseless because no one talks about the finer points of when, where and how to ride at a very very low angle....i.e, flatbased
for reference only...:D

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I flatbase a lot. I do it on flat runouts so I maintain speed and I also do it sometimes on big groomers just to see how fast I can go and I quite enjoy the feeling.
Its definately not a technical move but it is a part of snowboarding that if you dont master you will get caught out sooner or later either with a scorpion or not making it through a flat runout because you washed off your speed by using an edge.
I also do it at the end of the day when Im physically spent and cbfd carving, I just want to ride powder stashes

·
Registered
922 Posts
I flatbase a lot. I do it on flat runouts so I maintain speed and I also do it sometimes on big groomers just to see how fast I can go and I quite enjoy the feeling.
Its definately not a technical move but it is a part of snowboarding that if you dont master you will get caught out sooner or later either with a scorpion or not making it through a flat runout because you washed off your speed by using an edge.
I also do it at the end of the day when Im physically spent and cbfd carving, I just want to ride powder stashes
I think you THINK you're flat basing but I'd be willing to bet money that you're not.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Dude please.
You think your posting but maybe youre not LOL. I would love to take your money but for geographical reasons it will never happen unfortunately

I can flat base at maximum speed without even going near an edge, I fly past everyone on the mountain when Im doing it. Its just something I can do.

My edges are flat on the bottom and 88 on the side too, sharp like a razor blade so I kinda know when I engage one.

·
Registered
585 Posts
you don't have to be engaging in edge when you put pressure on it. You have to have some sort of pressure on an edge or else eventually you will scorpion big time when you least expect it.

If you are going maximum speed completely flat based, you're an idiot.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
you don't have to be engaging in edge when you put pressure on it. You have to have some sort of pressure on an edge or else eventually you will scorpion big time when you least expect it.

If you are going maximum speed completely flat based, you're an idiot.
Im totally in control, whats the issue? I can use an edge at any time if I need to.

1 - 20 of 153 Posts