Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I live in Holland, and next year (schoolyear, starting in september) there's some possibility for me to out to a foreign country. I'd love to do a season in the mountains, Austria for example. It's pretty common that students go there and give snowboardlessons/work in a bar/clean in an hotel, and do a lot of snowboarding themselves.

Many bars in Austria offer jobs, including a place to stay and a liftpass for the whole season. The students live from the money they earn and often come back with more money than they had when they left. My question is, do you american guys think that would be possible in the United States too? Is it common that students do a "season in the mountains"?

I'd like to know your thoughts and experiences,

Luc

·
Veteran Member
11,566 Posts
A lot of the resorts would bring foreign workers for various jobs. Especially the big guys. Vail, Keystone, Copper Mountains of the US. I assume the other big guys, like Snowbird, Big Sky, Jackson, Squaw, do the same. Or at least did the same. Not sure with the economy what it means. For a while they were not able to get as many work visas as they wanted but still filled what they could. Now with the crappy economy, I don't know if they are looking beyond the US or not. Part of the problem with my knowledge on this is that I only have 3 resort days in the last two seasons. So I am not seeing if they have the usual foreign help or not. I suspect BA and some of the other Summit County locals have a better perspective on this than I do.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Here in NM, I frequent Angel Fire resort and for the past couple of seasons I've noticed lots of kids come up North from South America. I've seen some of the same people for the past 3 years. They come on summer break. I would imagine, depending on where you want to go, you can probably find something.
Might not be easy though.

·
Registered
500 Posts
thousands and thousands of young people move to western remote ski towns to live and work for a season. there are tons of seasonal jobs available in any ski town and there are many foreigners that come to do this as well. I'm not sure how hard it is to get a visa, but otherwise its as easy as making your way here and staying a while. nothing to it.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I tried to get into the US about 3 years ago and couldnt get a visa. The visas are harded to get now. I found getting work to be easy but the resorts just cant get the visa to match. If Canada is an option it is pretty easy to get work here. I'm not sure what the visa situation is like for Holland?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts