Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna get a new board this year and will see if I can save a few bucks at any end-of-season sales. I always wondered if there were any stores that are good to go to South of the border.

Does anyone have any recommendations for large sports stores, small hidden gems, etc. to buy a board in the Seattle area?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Compared to the 90's most of the small shops are gone. Back then you could get stuff 40% off end of the season, sometimes 50. Not anymore, the on-line companies, EVO, REI, Backcountry killed all of that. Now days 20-30% off is about as good as it gets. I still see stuff from last year that is at most 30% off, its a joke.
Sturtevants is great if you need boot fitting help, but other then that most places are lacking.
I also see limited stock when I go into these places. Had to order online to get my last two boards.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Sturtevants is great if you need boot fitting help, but other then that most places are lacking.
No. Problem with the larger stores is that the boot fitters are hit or miss, they have some awesome ones and some... not so much. You just gotta luck out.

I had a great boot fitting experience at... Alpine Hut. Oh, wait...

·
Registered
210 Posts
No. Problem with the larger stores is that the boot fitters are hit or miss, they have some awesome ones and some... not so much. You just gotta luck out.

I had a great boot fitting experience at... Alpine Hut. Oh, wait...
I'm not sure if you agree with me or not. I'm sure there are some good fitters at other places but not so much these days. Alpine Hut has been around a long time they prob have some good people there. Isn't Alpine Hut now Gerks?

·
Registered
676 Posts
I'm not sure if you agree with me or not. I'm sure there are some good fitters at other places but not so much these days. Alpine Hut has been around a long time they prob have some good people there.
I disagree partially. In that there CERTAINLY are good ones, just that the large stores employ so many, some of them are bound to be not as good. But that doesn't discount the good ones.

Yeah, and Alpine Hut is ski-only, so offtopic

·
Registered
210 Posts
I disagree partially. In that there CERTAINLY are good ones, just that the large stores employ so many, some of them are bound to be not as good. But that doesn't discount the good ones.

Yeah, and Alpine Hut is ski-only, so offtopic
Fair enough. Hope you are having a great season.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all!

Welp, you guys were right, it's not that special around the Seattle area unfortunately. Bit of a shame. Taking the exchange rate in mind, stuff around Vancouver is still a better deal, and of course online. I'm keeping an eye on the price of a few boards around town and online - track the market, see if/when boards drop in price or quantity...

·
Registered
6,260 Posts
OP, unless you've already seen his wares, you should PM @timmytard
Especially since we're both in the same hood.

What boards are you looking at?
Pretty sure, I don't have em haha.

But I do have a lot of boards.
More than 150 I bet?:surprise:

Plus everything else you could possibly think of.>:)

TT

·
Registered
68 Posts
Also Mountain to Sound Outfitters in West Seattle (they have a limited selection, mostly Mervyn and Capita), there is a small shop in Everett area Westra Sports (however I never been there or know what selection they have).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Especially since we're both in the same hood.

What boards are you looking at?
Pretty sure, I don't have em haha.

But I do have a lot of boards.
More than 150 I bet?:surprise:

Plus everything else you could possibly think of.>:)

TT
PM'd......

·
Registered
210 Posts
Also Mountain to Sound Outfitters in West Seattle (they have a limited selection, mostly Mervyn and Capita), there is a small shop in Everett area Westra Sports (however I never been there or know what selection they have).
Westra is a nice shop but more ski oriented. Very nice people though. Glad they are around.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts