Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So I've been looking around online to buy my own board. I've snowboarded for quite awhile already, and I'm looking to move from rentals to having my own. As of right now, I'm hoping to spend under 400 dollars for everything.

Here are my stats:
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 175 lbs
Shoe size:10.5
Stance: Regular, but I'm thinking of making mine duck-footed as I want to start working on riding goofy and being proficient at both.
Looking to do: Mainly freeride with the occasional park (I do like them jumps and rails :p)

Here are the boards I'm looking at. (Hoping to spend 180 tops on the board)
LTD Venom - Save on LTD Venom Snowboard 157 - Mens Snowboard Snowboarding Gear Equipment
LTD Venom (Not sure why two different boards are named the same, I'm guessing different years?) -http://www.the-house.com/9857ltve6zz-ltd-snowboards.html
LTD Logic - Save on LTD Logic Snowboard 157 - Mens Snowboards Snowboarding Gear Equipment
Dub Metrus wide - Save on Dub Metrus Wide Snowboard 156 - Mens Snowboard Snowboarding Gear Equipment
Rossignol Split Twin Plus - Save on Rossignol Split Twin Plus Snowboard 155 - Mens Snowboards Snowboarding Gear Equipment
Forum Eddie Wall Destroyer 156 (2007) - Forum Eddie Wall Destroyer Insert - Snowboards Reviews & Sale | SierraSnowboard.com

Bindings:
Flow Flite 2 - Save on Flow Flite 2 Snowboard Bindings Black - Mens Snowboards Binding Snowboarding Gear Equipment
Flow Flite 3 - Save on Flow Flite 3 Snowboard Bindings Black - Mens Snowboards Binding Snowboarding Gear Equipment
Flow Flite 4 - Save on Flow Flite 4 Snowboard Bindings Black - Mens Snowboards Binding Snowboarding Gear Equipment
Flow M11 - Save on Flow M11 Snowboard Bindings Black - Mens Snowboards Binding Snowboarding Gear Equipment

Boots I plan on going to a store to try them on before I purchase. Any suggestions for the board and binding selections I have? I realize that Flow bindings may be considered too expensive for the budget I'm trying to stay within, but they're something I really want to try. But between the 4 models I have, is there a significant difference with regard to performance?

As for the boards, are these brands any good? Other than Rossignol, I'm not particularly familiar with the brands, but they seem to be the only ones within the price range I'm looking at... =( I feel like the Forum board may be the best value in this set? Anyone have other recommendations?

Thanks!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah yeah, based on some of the searches I did here, Dub was never really mentioned, and LTD was risky for low end gear. I suppose I'll look around for boards on sale. =)

How do I know if my flow bindings will be compatible with the board? Apparently some times they don't fit together?

·
Registered
502 Posts
as long as you dont have some est channel system, i believe all flow bindings are compatible with most all boards (correct me if I'm wrong).
then again i know very little about flows, but i've heard a lot of good things about their nxt and m series.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mmm, then I'm guessing I should fork out the extra 20 for the M11s? Sigh, after that the NXT ones are only 20 more dollars. I need to stop viewing prices as margins from other options. :S They add up. =(

·
Registered
502 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha, yeah, that's true. I'm really curious as to how the flows perform though. They seem to be a love/hate binding, but at the same time, I have a feeling I'll fall into the love group. Not because of the convenience part (I think I'm pretty efficient at strapping into my bindings, heh), but they spread out the pressure. Maybe I just tighten one binding too much sometimes, but the pressure all being placed on two points has its effect after a long time of boarding.

How is the Sierra Team Snowboard 2010? They have a 157cm one that comes with flow quattros in a deal for 347. Seems like a steal to me. I just dunno much about their boards.

*Edit*
Damn, I just found out I even get a 100 dollar coupon, haha. Great for ordering boots after trying them out at a store. :p That and getting a bag for the board I guess.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I've heard nothing but good comments about Sierra's new line of boards. I do believe that $100 coupon promo is only for today, so order fast!
IMPULSE BUYING GOGOGO

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL! If only it was that simple. =( Need to get the dad's approval, and he's really against me buying my own at the moment (he prefers rental cause it's easier) so the buy and then convince tactic is out the window.

·
Registered
502 Posts
well another option is sierra gives away a free board every weekday at 3 (pst), so i'm sure your dad wont refuse a free snowboard, would he?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I saw that bit. How's it work? First person to click something gets the board?

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
No they have an app that takes all the user names and puts them in a spinning wheel app like a slot machine. They push the button and it spins and lands on a name.

If they have over i think 500 people they give away 2 boards, if its over 750(or something like that) they give away 3...

Craigslist can also be a good spot to look for boards, just be careful :)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I think I'm willing to fork out the extra bit of cash for buying it off a dealer I can trust as opposed to Craig's List. It just means more meals from the dining halls. :p

Do I have to be active on the site? What if I just leave my computer on? :p And wow, the Sierra Crew they give away looks pretty sweet, especially for free!

I think if I'm allowed to get a board, I'll probably go for the deal on Sierra Snowboards. The fact that it's built by Flow makes it even more awesome. :) I was originally hoping to get an all Flow set up, heh.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts