Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was my first year on the board. How often should I sharpen the edges?
Went out about 12 times and my edges are very dull. Does it mater?
I am do carve. Any use a file free hand or use a gig?
Still a beginner so would I even notice the difference?
My board is Solomon Pulse if that maters.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Yes it matters,yes you may notice

Your edge should be sharp enough to scrape a shaving off the back of your fingernail...at all times

No free handing, need a file guide

You can ask Solomon what the spec edge should be. i learned 1 on the base, .5 on the side edge, that's always worked for me

·
Registered
612 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
This was my first year on the board. How often should I sharpen the edges?
Went out about 12 times and my edges are very dull. Does it mater?
I am do carve. Any use a file free hand or use a gig?
Still a beginner so would I even notice the difference?
My board is Solomon Pulse if that maters.
You'll notice if you're riding ice or hard pack, not so much in powder.

Sharpen when the edges are too dull to scrap shavings off your fingernail. How long that takes depends upon the conditions you ride.

Read this, it will help you understand what you're trying to do

Tuning - The Carver's Almanac

Buy a bevel guide, free handing is damn near impossible.

·
Registered
814 Posts
some don't sharpen or wax much at all during season... others do it religiously.. depends what kind of riding you do and what type of terrain... if you rarely ever ride icy slopes, sharp edges aren't needed as much. if you one day want to start hitting boxes, don't try with super sharp edges. It's easy, you'll figure it out.

·
Registered
893 Posts

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Something I mean to go grab this season too, the shop guys had, was a deburring thing, it was like an eraser with pumice or something, for when you just don't need a full sharpen, but have some wear n tear...

·
Registered
286 Posts
I've tuned so many boards in my life, that I now only use a flat file to quickly get the job done. Buy at any hardware store. "Tang away" and drag towards you.

The tang is the narrow handle part of the file.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Something I mean to go grab this season too, the shop guys had, was a deburring thing, it was like an eraser with pumice or something, for when you just don't need a full sharpen, but have some wear n tear...
ThAts a Gummy stone

For deburring a small diamond file is a better choice.

·
Registered
927 Posts
sounds like a gummy stone...

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Yeh, gummy stone, that was it...cool, if diamond files are better ill just upgrade to those...got the basic swix file and guide which seemed ok, but want to be able to shave with my board in a pinch

I've tuned so many boards in my life, that I now only use a flat file to quickly get the job done. Buy at any hardware store. "Tang away" and drag towards you.

The tang is the narrow handle part of the file.
How do you get the 1 degree and .5 bevel freehand?

·
Registered
893 Posts
a gummi stone.

It's good for knocking off some the knicks on the base edge before you wax (so you don't scratch up the iron, which then can scratch up the base)

·
Registered
927 Posts
The gummy stone will was also extend the life of the file, which dulls quickly if you try to file down those burs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts