Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

New to the forums here, figured I would see what you all think.

I typically snowboard in Vermont. I will be taking a trip to Tremblant and to Utah this winter.

My old jacket was a Northface triclimate piece of crap that let water through.

A lot of people have been suggesting that I get a really good "shell" and then layer underneath. Never done this before.

I found this shell that I like (fit and tech wise), what do you guys think?

Great Scott Jacket | Marmot.com

The next question, is how do I actually layer while keeping everything breathing and not sweaty? Can you point to an actual piece that I should buy to put between a base skin layer and this shell to keep warm. Should I just get a badass tri-climate where the layers zip in?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I usually just wear a 1/4 zip fleece over my base layer which seems to do the trick (I tend to run fairly warm though). If it's really cold I wear another mid weight layer then the fleece. I wear just a shell when I ride too.
Also, Marmot makes bad ass gear. Got a goretex rain jacket from them this past summer for hiking/camping and that thing held up like a champ.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Basically what you want is a fleece (zip up or hoody, either works fine, but personally I find a hoody a little annoying under a jacket because the hood bunches up behind your back).

They come in all sorts of 'weights', which basically just means how thick the fleece is and how warm you want it to be.

So you can get a 1/4 weight fleece, 1/2 fleece etc, and how thick a fleece you want depends on you and how cold you get plus the temperatures at your local resort.

Personally I have one thick fleece and one thinner fleece and I just checked the temperature on the day I ride and pick the fleece I want based on how cold/warm it is that day.

Basically every snowboard company makes fleeces, just avoid normal cotton jumpers because they tend to get all sweaty and retain moisture.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, this seems simple enough - just throw a decent fleece in the middle.

How does the jacket I found look as my primary waterproof shell?

·
Registered
267 Posts
I wear a UA 2.0 baselayer and the UA Charged Cotton Storm Mountain hoodie, followed by my Nike Foxhollow jacket. It can get pretty damn cold in Wisconsin and I've yet to be uncomfortable yet.

I know there are plenty of UA haters, but the Charged Cotton Storm hoodie I got is the shit. Regular fit so it doesn't bulk up under the jacket at all. Breathes great and water seriosuly just brushes right off of it. I wear it running in the rain and can walk inside, take it off, shake it, and it feels completely dry again.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Are you sure the old shell is letting water through? It could be that you're getting soaked from the inside out from perspiration. You could go with something more breathable to eliminate that if it's the case. Also, that new jacket seems a tad heavy in that if you do get it soaked from sweat on the inside, it will take a lot longer to dry out than a thinner shell. Just something to think about from personal experience.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunately, I'm 100% sure. With no activity and a bit of rain I would get wet.

Okay I'll try to look for a lighter jacker. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Unfortunately, I'm 100% sure. With no activity and a bit of rain I would get wet.
Yeah I just replaced my old North Face Hyvent shell which was doing the same thing. Bummer, but I got several good years out of it.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Well if keeping rain out is your goal, you might want to think about a more waterproof shell.

10k/10k is okay and the fully taped seams is great, but you may want to look at a higher rated waterproof jacket if you ride in the rain.

In Whistler, we get the occasional wet/rainy day and there's a big difference in dryness between the guys riding 10k/10k shells and the guys with more heavy duty waterproof gore-tex (or one of the many similar high end fabrics) when we gather inside for lunch.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Basically what you want is a fleece (zip up or hoody, either works fine, but personally I find a hoody a little annoying under a jacket because the hood bunches up behind your back).

They come in all sorts of 'weights', which basically just means how thick the fleece is and how warm you want it to be.

So you can get a 1/4 weight fleece, 1/2 fleece etc, and how thick a fleece you want depends on you and how cold you get plus the temperatures at your local resort.

Personally I have one thick fleece and one thinner fleece and I just checked the temperature on the day I ride and pick the fleece I want based on how cold/warm it is that day.

Basically every snowboard company makes fleeces, just avoid normal cotton jumpers because they tend to get all sweaty and retain moisture.
Agreed on the fleece. I layer in the following:

Baselayer: Heavyweight or lightweight depending on temps
Fleece Midlayer: 180g lightweight fleece for non-windy 20-30 degree days or 300g heavyweight fleece for windy single temp days.
Outerlayer: Waterproof/windproof shell jacket.

That pretty much covers all conditions where I'm at.

·
Registered
848 Posts
This is what I have and I mix and match what I need for the day. Now this took me a little while to get this how I wanted it for everything I have seen. Right now is also a great time to look as they REALLY want to unload last years gear. Also look at gearscan and gear trader they have some good deals. I am about to sell my old arcteryx sidewinder on here this weekend if you want to wait and see if that works for you.

Shells
Arcteryx Sidewinder
Arcteryx Beta FL
Special Blend Utility
Bonfire jacket

Mid Layer
Arcteryx Atom LT
MTN Hardwear Compressor
Patagonia Capilene 1 silk top and bottom
Patagoina Capilene 2 top and bottom

Soft Shell Jackets
Neff daily
DC

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
FWIW, I wear upper body armour now, and run TOO HOT most of the time. Even wearing a shell I still get too hot. This is what I wear:

- Lululemon long sleeve shirt
- Demon Flex Force Pro Armour
- Jacket over top (shell 75% of the time, winter jacket for cold days)

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
you just can't help yourself can you bro? did you get the pants to match? :unsure:

.... pics? :blink:
See see I support the brand that I love! :bowdown: Wish I had a pair of the MENS pants but I'm not coughing up $100 for pants that make my ass look oddly good. :blink:

·
Registered
378 Posts
See see I support the brand that I love! :bowdown: Wish I had a pair of the MENS pants but I'm not coughing up $100 for pants that make my ass look oddly good. :blink:
Pictures!

Wait...that just sort of came out, happens anytime I read "ass look good...". Context is important...:D

·
Registered
378 Posts
To the op: as already stated, unless in single digits, a light base layer like Under armor or light fitted fleece plus shell is plenty. If is really cold, add a mid layer fleece. Since it doesn't need to be wind proof, any cheap fleece is fine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Under Armour

I wear a UA 2.0 baselayer and the UA Charged Cotton Storm Mountain hoodie, followed by my Nike Foxhollow jacket. It can get pretty damn cold in Wisconsin and I've yet to be uncomfortable yet.

I know there are plenty of UA haters, but the Charged Cotton Storm hoodie I got is the shit. Regular fit so it doesn't bulk up under the jacket at all. Breathes great and water seriosuly just brushes right off of it. I wear it running in the rain and can walk inside, take it off, shake it, and it feels completely dry again.
I wish we could accept under armour because they are
A. Crazy Affordable (on occasion)
B. Very Warm
C. Lots of mobility
D. I have an Under Armour jacket that outperforms my oakley jacket consistently but wont wear it because it just feels out of place, but sick graphic and everything. I got it 80% because nobody will buy their stuff.....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts