Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I obviously haven't shipped a board in a while as it's easily $50-65 now to do so (last time I did this I think it was around $30). The culprit? Dimensional weight calculations. I have a UPS account with a discount and it's still ridiculous. :sick:

So, how do retailers (and manufacturers too) get around this?

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I obviously haven't shipped a board in a while as it's easily $50-65 now to do so (last time I did this I think it was around $30). The culprit? Dimensional weight calculations. I have a UPS account with a discount and it's still ridiculous. :sick:

So, how do retailers get around this?
Indeed! Retailers have a couple tricks, it all depends on how good your negotiating is and how you service your shipping.

1: Negotiating
You hope your volume is big enough to use some muscle and lower rates. If you're really good you may even get them to drop the relatively new dimensional shipping fees. Either way in this method shipping has gotten exponentially more expensive to ship from your company
2: Amazon FBA
You can ship pallets of boards to Amazon through FBA and they pay for shipping to the customer. Amazon has you ship them the items through their shipping deals so you get Amazon's shipping prices when mailing them the inventory. It would disgust you to see how cheap it gets. However Amazon fees are incredibly expensive. Depending on volume and your rates you get from your own accounts it can still be cheaper to eat the Amazon fees, and pay to mail them the item rather than doing it yourself
3: 3PL
There's lots of logistics companies that do all of the shipping for you. These companies are obviously doing business with multiple companies meaning their volume is far larger giving them better negotiating with shipping companies as well as more efficient shipping to keep costs down

But in general yes shipping has gotten insane over the past few years. It's why you see oversized shipping costs applied to some items more frequently now. Pay some respect to the companies giving you free shipping but still having the same price, They're eating a lot of extra costs just to try and keep their customer base and it's not easy on the businesses.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Burrito and click N ship has never been over $35 for me.
heh, never knew that method had a name, but that's what I ended up doing for one shipment, using a box Evo.com sent me.

Burrito-Wrap: How to Pack & Ship a Snowboard

With better boxing (2 boards), ended up using UPS and kept it around $50 w/discount (FedEx Ground was crazy high for the same box).

·
Registered
3 Posts
60$ for shipping a snowboard is too much. Instead, you can try FedEx or another cheap company. Their only disadvantage is that the delivery time's quite long, but you can save a considerable sum of money this way. A few years ago, I started to be a seller on joom, and since then, I've been collaborating with Chinese carriers only. They work with china post tracking system, which allows automatic identification of the courier by the tracking number, and that's one of its greatest advantages for both the buyer and the seller. Also, they have pretty low fares, so you should check it out.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
It's really too bad because I have a ton of youth stuff, boards, boots, bindings, that are in amazing condition I'd love to sell for really good prices, but the shipping in some cases doubles the cost.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts