Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm buying my first helmet and I can't decide should i buy a helmet with MIPS technology or is it an overkill for me?
I'm a beginner, this year would be the second time i'm going snowboarding.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Eyal

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
How likely are you to try things that are beyond your ability in the park/trees and end up having a heavy impact?

I would suggest primarily focusing first on fit as depending whether the cross section of your head is more oval (Anon, Giro, ..) or round (Smith, ..) there will be brands that fit you better. From my experience I would not go for the hybrid style (e.g. Smith Vantage) for snowboarding as a beginner as I found the top section can break off if you catch your heel side edge and have a fall.

If you can then find a helmet that fits well with the features you want (e.g. how many vents depending on body heat/glasses wearing etc), that has MIPS as well that fits your budget then go for it.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Hi,

I'm buying my first helmet and I can't decide should i buy a helmet with MIPS technology or is it an overkill for me?
I'm a beginner, this year would be the second time i'm going snowboarding.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Eyal
There's no such thing as overkill for a helmet. Beginner or not, the risk is about the same; actually it's inverted... you're at more risk of a serious head injury with less experience.

In the end, nobody "needs" MIPS. It's a choice.

MIPS is a technology which basically allows the helmet shell to rotate or slide around your skull during an impact.

·
Premium Member
2,992 Posts
Anecdotally, I've broken 2 helmets. Concussion after the helmet with MIPS was much less severe than after I broke a helmet without MIPS. That fucking sucked.

If you find a helmet that fits you well that does have MIPS options available, seems silly not to go for it. It's a small premium to pay for potentially better brain protection.

Reactions: Craig64

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
I wouldn't buy a new mountain biking helmet without some tech along the lines of MIPs, but personally I don't feel it's as necessary on snow, for the types of real world falls/collisions you experience in snowsports.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Anecdotally, I've broken 2 helmets. Concussion after the helmet with MIPS was much less severe than after I broke a helmet without MIPS. That fucking sucked.

If you find a helmet that fits you well that does have MIPS options available, seems silly not to go for it. It's a small premium to pay for potentially better brain protection.
Yep..., years ago I came down hard on a really steep icy section about 20 years ago before helmets were in and knocked myself out senseless for a few a few seconds. I got up but was like punch drunk for a number of hours afterwards until the next day. From then on I grabbed a helmet. Over the years I"ve had a handful of falls and been taken out a few times by out of control skiers/snowboarders and the helmet has saved me big time after getting head slammed on the ground. Would swear by the best helmet you can afford/grab. I have a Giro Range with MIPS. Great helmet.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I have an Oakley mod1 with mips.

I had a season ending crash last season that required getting some facial reconstruction surgery. I was wearing a helmet the guy threw in when I bought a used snowboard.

I think I would have fared much better with this one.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have a Smith Vantage MIPS. I haven’t had a crash that would let me evaluate if the MIPS works and I’m happy about that but if it happened I want to know I’ve done my best to protect my chump.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've utilized the MIPS feature on my MTB helmet, joy. I replaced that helmet with another MIPS helmet.

I wasn't due for a new snowboard helmet but after trying a bunch on replaced it with a MIPS helmet (Maze).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts