21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Boards, Left to right:

• Weston Pow Surfer 57
  • Moss Wing Swallow 149
  • Moss Swallow 162
  • Rome Blur 162 (technically an Anthem LTD, but it's a reskinned Blur)
  • Weston Backwoods Splitboard 163
  • Dupraz D1 6' +
View attachment 153542

Not pictured: United Shapes Cadet 162 I decided to sell next season. Blur may also get swapped out for something that's more a hybrid between Cadet and Blur. Maybe a United Shapes Orbit 57 or Korua Stealth 63.

Bindings
  • NOW Pilot, medium
  • NOW Drive, medium
  • + 2 pairs of NOW Tool-less Kingpin for easy swaps
  • Spark / Burton Frankenbinder, medium Surge base plate, Arc highbacks, large Burton hammockstrap with doubletake hardware
Might have some binding consolidation, just picked up a set of Karakoram Connect R on sale... if I like them, I'll probably sell the Pilots and the Sparks.

Boots
  • Adidas Tactical Lexicon size 10
  • Thirtytwo TM2 XLT Jones variant
TM2 XLT may get swapped out for K2 Aspects. Good-riding boot but so stupidly fucking heavy.
Sick collection! Thoughts on the Moss Wing Swallow 149 ?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Thanks for the detailed response.

And yea, I’m definitely not a dude that needs to be on a wide all the time. In fact my favorite board to ride right now has a narrower waist.

And as for the dedicated pow board thing, at this point in time I’m unfortunately a weekend warrior. So I haven’t bothered to get a TRUE powder board yet. This is just the best-in-powder of my quiver currently, or should be at least.

I’m typically riding one of the big three on Mt. Hood, so a lot of time spent on groomers. And ice isn’t a huge issue. We get it here and there, but I wanna say in my 10+ days up this season only my last one was icy. Interesting to know though that the Kazu is less than stellar on that end.

Stoked for the board though either way. It’s definitely something a little bit different for my quiver.
Kazu is still a great board and if it was wider I’d probably just base grind it to make it 90/0 and the ice grip should be on par with the e.g. the Archetype.

You say you don’t get a full powder board. The Slush Slasher should rip pow as well, shouldn’t it? This board got my interest actually. I’d like to try this 14 m sidecut. How does it carve in good snow/slush compared to the rest of your quiver?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Sick collection! Thoughts on the Moss Wing Swallow 149 ?
Completely different board from anything I've ever ridden before (even compared to other Mosses). In both good and bad ways.

Only got it beginning of this season and put 3-4 partial days on it, mostly because I was spending a lot of time on the Dupraz and the Moss SW62. I was planning on spending more time on it in the spring but... y'know.

It's fun. Crazy, crazy maneuverable. There's basically no edge past the back binding, so releasing turns is a snap.

Really fun in pow.. Didn't get it out in anything more than maybe 6-8 inches, but it was a blast and I'm looking forward to getting some deeper days on it.

I'm surprised how stable it is at my size. I'm 210 lbs, and typically ride 162-165s. It's not mega stable, but enough for most days. I've can comfortably cruise around a 40-50 mph on mine on groomers. I wouldn't go for landspeed records or drop big chutes on this thing, but I can handle most everyday riding pretty comfortably.

I haven't yet found the sweet spot to really lay it over on a euro carve the way I've been able to on other Mosses and my all-mountain decks. It's more front-foot driven than most other "snow surf" boards I've ridden, which tend to rely a lot more on rear foot input. I'm sure I'll figure it out, I just haven't spent enough time on it yet. Still playing around with different binding configurations.

The pop sucks due to complete lack of tail. If I lean back ever so slightly to try to tail press, I fall on my ass. But you're not buying one of these to launch sidehits, butter around, or lap the park.

High velocity speed checks are... interesting. You have to go much more front-foot heavy than on a typical board because of lack of rear edge. Biggest reason I never really opened up the throttle on it so far. I'm pretty sure it can handle me going fast, I'm not so sure that it can handle me going fast and suddenly slowing down.

I'm planning on consolidating the quiver down in the next few years. This one is a likely casualty because it's not quite versatile enough to be ridden as much as my other decks. But it's the most unique board I've ridden and definitely something I would keep lying around if I could justify maintaining a larger quiver.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
I have the Wing Swallow 57 and agree that it's completely different from anything I've ever ridden. I was given the opportunity to take it out on an extended demo (only instruction was "have it back by the end of March"). My initially impression was a strong dislike for it. Very strong. I couldn't understand it at all -- and I had previously ridden several different Moss boards. After about 5 or 6 runs I started to figure it out. After a couple more runs I loved it. I bought one the same day.

It's nice to find a brand that has a completely different approach to riding on the snow and a product that essentially makes you a beginner again. I closed out the season riding that and the C3 almost exclusively. At times I wished that I had gotten the 49 for a bit more playfulness, but that's where the C3 comes in.

IMO Moss boards have to be tested before you commit to them (except maybe the Swallows (from experience) and PQs (from what I've heard)). The Fluffy was also very easy/intuitive to ride. Aside from those three, they're very different from everything else I've ridden.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Kazu is still a great board and if it was wider I’d probably just base grind it to make it 90/0 and the ice grip should be on par with the e.g. the Archetype.

You say you don’t get a full powder board. The Slush Slasher should rip pow as well, shouldn’t it? This board got my interest actually. I’d like to try this 14 m sidecut. How does it carve in good snow/slush compared to the rest of your quiver?
So in complete honesty, it’s actually still in the upstairs of the garage hiding from the fiancé.

My plan was to break it out for spring riding. Find a reason to pass it by the fiancé (sell of a different board, work some OT, or whatever).

Now I could be mistaken, but I thought of it on the “good enough” in powder end. The nose and width help for sure, but I just don’t know if it’s very conducive to charging like I kinda hope my “powder” board is. I view the Slush Slasher as more of a playful screw around board.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have the Wing Swallow 57 and agree that it's completely different from anything I've ever ridden. I was given the opportunity to take it out on an extended demo (only instruction was "have it back by the end of March"). My initially impression was a strong dislike for it. Very strong. I couldn't understand it at all. After about 5 or 6 runs I started to figure it out. After a couple more runs I loved it. I bought one the next day.

It's nice to find a brand that has a completely different approach to riding on the snow and a product that essentially makes you a beginner again. I closed out the season riding that and the C3 almost exclusively. At times I wished that I had gotten the 49 for a bit more playfulness, but that's where the C3 comes in.

IMO Moss boards have to be tested before you commit to them (except maybe the Swallows (from experience) and PQs (from what I've heard)). The Fluffy was also very easy/intuitive to ride. Aside from those three, they're very different from everything else I've ridden.
@zc1 how much do you weigh out of curiosity? Part of me wants to buy the WS 57 and sell the 49 at start of next season, part of me just wants to see how long I can keep ride a comically "undersized" 149 cm snowboard at 210 lbs.

I definitely agree WS that it's not an immediately intuitive board. Usually I can jump on a board and figure it out within 3-4 laps. Not master it, but I get how I need to position my weight and broadly what I need to recalibrate for. Most days I've ridden the WS I've split it with another board, and feel I'll need a couple days riding it exclusively to really figure it out and unlock that sweet spot.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I use my Slush Slasher in powder all the time. It's my board for the least amount of powder though. It's really good in the trees. The nose has a huge amount of surface area, and it floats pretty well. My powder boards for deeper snow are a 154 Party Wave and a 166 Tailgunner.

I’d like to try this 14 m sidecut. How does it carve in good snow/slush compared to the rest of your quiver?
I love that huge sidecut. It's easier to center flex and tighten that radius than you'd expect. I liked carving hard on it on hardpack. I loved carving hard on it on softer snow and in some powder. I know Slush Slashers are play around boards, but they carve well enough to be a daily driver if that's your style.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
@zc1 how much do you weigh out of curiosity? Part of me wants to buy the WS 57 and sell the 49 at start of next season, part of me just wants to see how long I can keep ride a comically "undersized" 149 cm snowboard at 210 lbs.

I definitely agree WS that it's not an immediately intuitive board. Usually I can jump on a board and figure it out within 3-4 laps. Not master it, but I get how I need to position my weight and broadly what I need to recalibrate for. Most days I've ridden the WS I've split it with another board, and feel I'll need a couple days riding it exclusively to really figure it out and unlock that sweet spot.
@kimchijajonshim I'm 165-170 lbs. By the start of the season I should be back down to 160 lbs. I've been up as high as 190 lbs a few years back. As I lost the weight I mostly downsized my boards.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sooooo.... closed the deal on that used Rome Blur. I paid too much, but don't care. Guess what I'm going to be blasting down the mountain on?

View attachment 153616
Congrats! The Blur is an incredible board! Really, my favorite flex and feel out of all of my boards. You will love it! I have the 159 and the only thing I can fault it for is not being wide enough. It carves effortlessly but I can boot out on it during high angle carves at size US10. I'm about 150-155 lbs.

·
Super Moderator
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Congrats! The Blur is an incredible board! Really, my favorite flex and feel out of all of my boards. You will love it! I have the 159 and the only thing I can fault it for is not being wide enough. It carves effortlessly but I can boot out on it during high angle carves at size US10. I'm about 150-155 lbs.
Well, I wear a 9.5 and that's a 162, so I may be a little better off.

Of course you have to know that now that I've bought it, Blurs will be popping up on craigslist at several per day.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yep. I own a 62. 255 mm waist. I haven't had problems with size 10 Adidas Tacticals which are pretty compact, but I also own a pair of 10.5 Thirtytwo TM2 XLTs which are definitely NOT compact. First time I rode the XLTs on the Blur, I wiped out BAD booting out on a hard toe side carve. I hadn't booted out in years prior to that, and that was generally because boards 10+ years ago routinely had sub-250 mm waists.

If they made the Blur 5-10 mm wider with a cm of taper, a set of powder inserts, and a bit more aggressive camber... that'd be damn close to my dream board.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yep. I own a 62. 255 mm waist. I haven't had problems with size 10 Adidas Tacticals which are pretty compact, but I also own a pair of 10.5 Thirtytwo TM2 XLTs which are definitely NOT compact. First time I rode the XLTs on the Blur, I wiped out BAD booting out on a hard toe side carve. I hadn't booted out in years prior to that, and that was generally because boards 10+ years ago routinely had sub-250 mm waists.

If they made the Blur 5-10 mm wider with a cm of taper, a set of powder inserts, and a bit more aggressive camber... that'd be damn close to my dream board.
There is a Blur 164 wide... ;)

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Blur is gone from their lineup next season. I'm guessing it's because Bjorn Leines left Rome and joined Cardiff. Makes me wonder if the National's days are numbered as well...

·
Super Moderator
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Blur is gone from their lineup next season. I'm guessing it's because Bjorn Leines left Rome and joined Cardiff. Makes me wonder if the National's days are numbered as well...
I'm sure Rome will replace it with something very similar but different name.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Anyone have experience on the Burton Kilroy Directional? Info about it is hard to come by.

Haven’t ridden a fully camber directional board before.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Look for info on the Kilroy Custom. The Kilroy directional is an evolution of that board. Good, medium-flexing park board that's still fun outside the park.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Rossignol Sushi
Rome Powder Division MT 157
K2 Lineup
Flux XF

Sold my Cartels and got Flux XF's, just wanted a change and test something new!
Amazing quality, flex and everything feels great. Can't wait to test them.. Next season.. I hope..

·
Registered
98 Posts
Rossignol Sushi
Rome Powder Division MT 157
K2 Lineup
Flux XF

Sold my Cartels and got Flux XF's, just wanted a change and test something new!
Amazing quality, flex and everything feels great. Can't wait to test them.. Next season.. I hope..
Have you taken out the Powder Division yet, or nah?

I was ready to buy it on Rome’s website with the 40% off. Figured I’d call my local shop first and found out that they’re still open “by appointment”. They have a price matching policy.

Went in ready to buy the board but wanting to look around first. Manager was helping me out, raves about the Rome and said that he had the 153 himself. I asked about any other suggested pow boards and of course he mentioned the Sashimi. Ended up honoring the 40% off on the Sashimi as well and I wound up picking that up instead.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts