Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
81 - 85 of 85 Posts

· Registered
B Custom 162, Superpig 158, Alchemist 164W, Orca 159, Big Gun 165, Protoslinger 160
110 Posts
This thread made me so stoked to do some carving this season. Always love seeing other riders cruising down a run, digging trenches, boosting out of turns, laying it over and getting after it. I don't understand the faction that thinks carving is just for old people who can't do park anymore.

· Registered
49 Posts
Any sidecut works. People tend to like big sidecuts because it is more forgiving of slow edging and higher speeds.
The equation reverses again to small sidecuts being much harder to carve on any given slope than a big sidecut; as it punishes you for edging and balance that is not quite fast enough.

I'll put it this way. If people with <10m sidecuts were carving the way they should, even with soft flexing boots; you would see a lot of people pogo sticking down the hill barely spending any time going across the fall line. It really wouldn't mater if the pitch was steep or not.

A big sidecut is very forgiving at higher speeds as a rider is attempting to work on stuff relating to edging movements and finding their balance. You really have all the time in the world vs a small sidecut.

Get a quiver and go back and forth.

Big sidecut pro: finding your balance. working on small edging movements to gain better balance. tolerance and strength at higher speeds. will cue you into the stuff you should be doing with a small sidecut.
Small sidecut pro: punishment for not getting into balance at the right time. will make your turns even smaller on a big sidecut after a while with less effort.

81 - 85 of 85 Posts