Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hey folks, I just wanted to tack on a quick review since there isn't that much info about this board out there...

Summary: Love this thing! I picked up the 162 ahead of a 11 day trip out west. This board performed so well I didn't even bother to ride the other board I brought with me.

Comparable boards I own: Jones Mountain Twin, Billy Goat, Super 8

Other impressions:

• The board is light and gives back a lot of energy when you flex it. That combined with the size and stiff-ish flex give a good balance of stability, feel of the snow, and pop.
  • It's a charger, loves to go fast and it gives the rider lot of confidence
  • At the same time it is very dynamic, you aren't locked into any particularly type of riding style. It charges hard when you get over the front foot and and surfs when you get over the back. I was surprised and pleased with how well it handled snaking through bumps/trees and just cruising around the resort. It was really remarkable how much the personality changed just by shifting your weight a little.
  • Fun to carve on hard pack. I felt like it could just throw all my weight over the edge and it would catch me. Pretty quick edge to edge as well, I never really struggled to get it to turn even at slower speeds.
  • Great in pow, floated me easily (205lbs) and performed well in both bottomless and tracked out snow. (This was the main trait I was looking for when I bought it, I wanted a board that worked well for an entire resort-style deep pow day.)
  • Landing jumps and drops felt good. While the board is pretty set back the there is a still a good amount of tail there to catch you.
Hey how does it compare to the Super 8? Both are on my short list. I'm looking to go ~166-168cm for my next board and choices start to get limited in those sizes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey how does it compare to the Super 8? Both are on my short list. I'm looking to go ~166-168cm for my next board and choices start to get limited in those sizes.
They have somewhat similar goals and geometry but they have very different rides.

I found the super 8 to be a bit idiosyncratic. It is picky about how you initiate and shape turns, but then rewards you when you do everything just right. I don't like it so much for trees, steeps, and variable snow for this reason. It is loads of fun to carve off the back foot on groomers, it has a tighter sidecut and snaps hard transitioning from edge to edge....A bit of tweaker at speed though. Pow performance is good, and standing all the way back in the sidecut is actually pretty fun. Overall I always have fun when I take it out but I don't feel as confident in terms of terrain and speed.

The versatility of the tailgunner really is remarkable. It manages to be smooth and precise in it's turns without being picky the way the super 8 is. Carving is pretty much the only riding style where I would take super 8 over the tailgunner, but even that isn't by that wide a margin.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Thanks steeznuts - that was the type of info I was looking for. How's the Tailgunner in chop, chunder and uneven terrain? Does it blast thru tracked out pow? Where would you rate the stiffness. How does it do in moguls?

·
Registered
8 Posts
How's the Tailgunner in chop, chunder and uneven terrain........blast thru tracked out pow
Yeah its a f'n genius at those things, all the usual freeride board upsides are there...Stiffness is a smooth 8/10 and the nose is a small amount softer than the tail. Overall the construction is light and burly.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yeah its a f'n genius at those things, all the usual freeride board upsides are there...Stiffness is a smooth 8/10 and the nose is a small amount softer than the tail. Overall the construction is light and burly.
Awesome thanks. If you've ridden a Flight Attendant and can compare, that'd be great, but the tailgunner looks pretty tempting to me. I like blasting thru the chop that noobies fear. ?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I ride a 153.5 yup and just got my GF the 148 TG. She really digs it so far and we've even done a few tree runs at jay with it.

She's regular and I'm goofy and I think I'm about 20 lbs over the suggested weight for that board. That said, I might still give it a rip just to see how it rides. Just comparing the two boards, the nose on the TG has more rocker/early rise and is much bigger. The board also feels stiffer to me just looking it over.

We did a few park laps and did a few jumps and she hit a few boxes with it too.

I think I need to try it out this weekend if I can muster up riding it regular or swapping the bindings around.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I really appreciate the s camber. The camber under the tail gives more power and control when you need it. I feel more confident charging both steeps and trees on the Tailgunner than on my 166 Flagship. The float from that massive nose is really really good still.
Interesting. Looking at the Flagship and PYL. Comparing the Tailgunner to the Flagship, which would be better for skidding turns when riding with the kiddos? By better I mean easier on me. thx.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
My Flagship is a 15/16. I've heard they've gotten softer and have that spoon nose now, but my Flagship is harder to skid around on than my Tailgunner. I'd rather have the Tailgunner on a crowded resort day as well.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I followed @smellysell's lead and bought the split! I didn't want to have another season get truncated by disease. I got the 162, even though I ride the 166 for resort and cat situations. I figured smaller skis would be easier to manage, and I want to keep my back country riding mellow. I'm planning on lapping a bunch of low angle trees with it, so some extra maneuverability won't be amiss.

Snagged the split. Have a lot of other shit I need to buy now!
Tell me about it! What skins did you go with? Do you have a beacon and all that?

·
Registered
658 Posts
I followed @smellysell's lead and bought the split! I didn't want to have another season get truncated by disease. I got the 162, even though I ride the 166 for resort and cat situations. I figured smaller skis would be easier to manage, and I want to keep my back country riding mellow. I'm planning on lapping a bunch of low angle trees with it, so some extra maneuverability won't be amiss.

Tell me about it! What skins did you go with? Do you have a beacon and all that?
Our guide at Silverton when I was there recommended Voile or Black Diamond skins, and to stay away from G3. Guy was a backcountry rider, so took his advice and found a new pair of Black Diamonds on ebay for "cheap" and couldn't be happier. 2 of my buddies have G3 and both hate them. Another friend is happy with his Voile.

Probably my favorite purchase has been my Rossi XV poles. Extra long handles for side hills and fold up small and fast.

Haven't gotten a beacon and friends yet, planning on taking an avy course this fall and then we'll see. Don't plan on getting into real crazy stuff on the split, but you never know.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I was looking at some G3 skins, glad to know I should pass. I'll look at those Rossi poles, cause I need some of those too.

I'm also planning on taking an avy course this fall, but I want to stay well away from avalanche territory anyway. At least until I get some experience and more back country friends.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts