Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Managed to get over the passes just before they closed for an excellent day at Silverton Mtn. A buddy and I ended up in a well matched group of 7 snowboarders, though we started out with an 8th skier who threw in the towel after the first run. We got 4 runs in over the day: 3 alpine drops-ins, a super tight tree run and a little group “party shredding” in on the last run of the day once the avalanche danger had eased up. One of our guys ended up taking a bath in the creek, though.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
I just wanted to add another Silverton review here for people searching.

We went down to the San Juans last week to catch some major snow. We had a great storm day with ~18” of fresh at Purgatory Thursday (crappy mountain for snowboards, though) and then went to Silverton. We have the spring unguided pass for the mountain, which also gets us half-off on standby days and a $39 single heli drop.

Friday was still dumping with high avy danger and we did not get on standby so we went into town and snowshoed around. Saturday was bluebird and they were very busy so again we didn’t get on standby. That day we toured a heavily treed slope at the end of the canyon just beyond the area. It was an absolutely gorgeous day and great turns. We later found out it was Silverton’s busiest day ever.

Sunday I was worried we wouldn’t get on because it was again pretty busy, but perhaps they took pity on us for camping in their lot for three nights in a row and they got us out in a group.

We did the heli drop first. For the single drop they just take you directly across the valley on the backside of the area so the run is not much different than a run at the area...except you fly over there in a helicopter and it is fucking awesome!

After that run we did four runs at the area. Two steep and deep tree runs, one run into one of the back bowls, and one longer hike that allowed us to drop into a bowl from a more serious chute.

It was a fantastic day. I definitely recommend the area to any advanced/expert rider just for the experience. Hitting it on a storm cycle made it better, of course, but they work hard to manage the number of skiers on any particular area so any powder should last quite a while.

I posted a few pictures at https://www.instagram.com/p/BuUBcdjFQGd/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Purg can be tough to get around in with a snowboard after a big snow, however, once you know the area well enough to know how to work it appropriately, it can be effort that is well rewarded. It took me a couple of years and hanging with people who have deep knowledge of the place, but the area does have many “secrets”

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Purg can be tough to get around in with a snowboard after a big snow, however, once you know the area well enough to know how to work it appropriately, it can be effort that is well rewarded. It took me a couple of years and hanging with people who have deep knowledge of the place, but the area does have many “secrets”
So many fucking cat tracks and with the fresh snow there were a bunch that could not be cleanly made on a board. I was also shocked at how moguled up it was over on Chair 8 even after a few feet before we got there.

We got back to the main area in the afternoon and ended up having a ton of still good snow on Hades and the aspens in between Hades and Styx. Some of the deepest snow on the mountain was still there to ride in those trees at the end of the day.

What *really* sucked was the poor kids who were scheduled for the CO State Championships that day. No way they could keep the course clean with so much snow coming down and it must have been painfully slow for them. They moved the second day of racing down into Durango (Hayden Hill or something) but with as much snow as Durango got I doubt it was any better.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So many fucking cat tracks and with the fresh snow there were a bunch that could not be cleanly made on a board. I was also shocked at how moguled up it was over on Chair 8 even after a few feet before we got there.

We got back to the main area in the afternoon and ended up having a ton of still good snow on Hades and the aspens in between Hades and Styx. Some of the deepest snow on the mountain was still there to ride in those trees at the end of the day.

What *really* sucked was the poor kids who were scheduled for the CO State Championships that day. No way they could keep the course clean with so much snow coming down and it must have been painfully slow for them. They moved the second day of racing down into Durango (Hayden Hill or something) but with as much snow as Durango got I doubt it was any better.

I was there on that day. The backside did have a surprising amount of moguls. The big snows certainly have brought out the crowds lately. The front side, as you mentioned, seemed to have gotten loaded that day. I did Styx and Hades and they were both spectacular.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts

That would probably be Chapman Hill in Durango....
But, Purgatory was my first season pass ski area. I can see why you say it sucks for boarders, though: lots of traversing. It's something we got used to.

I've been to Silverton ski area 3 times and ironically the snow wasn't that great any of those times. I know they have been getting tons this year, though. Definitely not your normal ski area.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ll be back up at Silverton Mtn this Sunday for one more guided day before the Spring season.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whew. That was another EPIC deep day at Silverton Mtn. 24 inches over night and dumped all day: arm Pit deep turns and blackout face shots galore

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pics or it didn’t happen.

I only took one single photo the entire day. It was super windy with poor visibility on the alpine terrain. I whipped out the phone once during a regroup on one of the tree runs. The trees runs were a little unnerving due to the sheer amount of sluff moving -it would be enough to lightly bury you if you fell into a turn. Had a pretty good group of 3 riders and 5 skiers, one of whom was from Florida and was legit -even hiked fast.

There was an avalanche that caught one of the ski patrollers, apparently. I didn’t find this out until I got home and saw the statement as the guides were all hush-hush, but they left about 40 of us huddled at the top of the lift for 30 minutes or so to go deal with an emergency. Then, 2 guides brought the entire group of us down Tiger Main in short intervals (I made sure I was one of the first) and mountain operations were suspended entirely for an hour or so with CAIC, first responders and the sheriff on the scene, however, my group got another 2 runs in for 5 total.

I’m really pleased with my experiences at Silverton so far this season. I know most people are just picking dates and hoping for the best, but I’m close enough to be highly selective based on weather. Laying that many first tracks in pow that deep and that steep is something you are unlikely to find in very many places. Cat skiing is almost always going to involve more mellow terrain. The few Resorts that have comparable terrain, you’d be hard pressed to get more than one lap on it without someone else laying down tracks. If you’re skinning up, you’d likely only get one trip down. Not to say any of those things aren’t worth the effort, only that an exceptional day at Silverton Mtn is more steep and deep pow than most who ski/snowboard will ever experience.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm guessing they had a lot of terrain closed due to avy danger with this much snow ?

I’d say so. I’m not entirely sure what the other groups did, but the cornices are likely limiting factors right now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts