Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Six weeks in OR and WA .... Need advice.

4K views 29 replies 14 participants last post by  rambob 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, first time poster just seeking advice.

I'm planning a six week trip riding various spots in WA and OR, mostly OR though. I'm all about riding everything; park, off-piste, side country etc. I got a split board last season but only got out on it once so I'm still a beginner in regards to splitting.

So far, I've been told to stay in Hood River if I'm riding Mt Hood and to stay in Bend if I'm going to Mt Bachelor. Also, there's a cat-ski operation to check out near Bend?

Six weeks of car hire is too expensive so I'll be relying on buses mostly.

Anyone got any advice in regards to lodgings, locations, things to check out, best bars, burgers, shops, bus services etc? Best accommodation or places where ski bums know is good? Any help is appreciated.

Cheers guys,
Bento.

#6 ·
Ya buses in OR and WA are gonna be hard to come by actually. Haven't spent much time in Bend but that would likely be your best bet for that as it's really the only real town with a mountain there. Hood river is a fun little town but still a little ways from the resorts and no real bus.

If you want to do Hood and not have to worry about getting to the snow you should be looking at Government Camp. It's a tiny town with little going on but it's also kind of a ski bum dream town if you want to be right next to snow. Get a van and live there and you won't even really have to drive. You're basically on Ski Bowl with the largest night skiing in North America, 10 minutes to Timberline which is the highest place on hood and also some great side country and even cat skiing to the top of Palmer when it's open, and then only a little further to Mt Hood Meadows which has some gnarly gated terrain. Oh and the best part, once you get there you can hitch easily to any of the 3 places pretty much any day of the week.

#8 · (Edited)
There are quite a few buses from Seattle to go to all of the major ski areas other than Baker. Bus rides aren't that cheap though - it would definitely be cheaper to rent a car and drive yourself. You're looking at about $40/day for the shuttles.

No idea what the situation in OR is, but if you stay in Government Camp instead of Hood River, you can definitely get up there. Try to look like a foreign tourist instead of an American just being a bum, and you probably wont have to wait more than 5 minutes.

Why a van though? Are there 5 of you? A little economy compact car will get you around.

Winter driving isn't bad here. It doesn't even turn to winter until you get like 10 minutes from the mountain.

Beware, rain can ruin things here. Last season Ski Bowl was Soup Bowl and one of our areas wasn't open until Feb.

#10 ·
The van was brought up as a lodging and transportation option combined. Bend/bachelor and government camp/Mt hood are the only 2 good options that have a town close and possibilities for shuttles/hitching. I would do the van camping options and definitely hit baker and Stevens as they both have some incredible terrain all around......

#12 ·
I would do the van camping options and definitely hit baker and Stevens as they both have some incredible terrain all around......
This. Definitely this. I live in WA and I still consider doing this sometimes just to do it. Eliminating the drive is half the battle. :)

#11 ·
Splitboarding around ski areas is probably going to be better overall in Washington versus Oregon. You could probably spend your whole trip based around Stevens or Baker. The backcountry is expansive around those spots with good access.

I have as of yet to really figure out Hood. Never had a bad time there, it's just. little different. One huge ass mountain. There aren't multiple high points and different peaks to make a tour around. More like elevation zones. This seems to be typical of Oregon areas.

Hopefully shred will chime in. He seems to have a good feel for tours in the area. I think most of what he has found is snowmobile assisted.

I am definitely more familiar with the Washington side. Specifically, Stevens and I can safely say it doesn't disappoint. Neither does Baker, though from a safety standpoint that is a bit tougher to deal with in some regards. Mostly alpine style there. So visibilty and avy danger can really shut it down. Inbounds looks to be great on those days though. Being a true legendary mecca of snowboarding, I would recommend a visit.

#18 · (Edited)
There is cat skiing on Mt Bailey which is 1.5 hours south of bend. Hit me up, I'm on couchsurfing too and can host most likely. You can't camp in bachy parking lot if you don't have a self contained toilet. You should come to Bend, however it's necessary to have AWD or 4WD to get over the passes to Bend. Hit me up if you have more questions. Cheers, Ryan.

Also if you are going to come to Bend and ride Mt. bachelor, there is a 4paxk deal that pops up regularly that is the best deal

#19 ·
When are you planning on being here?

I'd look into buying a pass at one of the mountains, even if it's just midweek. An anytime pass at Meadows is $500 and a day lift ticket is $75-85ish. I don't know how much a pass to Baker is, but this year Baker & Meadows pass holders get 5 tickets at the other mountain. So $500 spent on a pass gets you quite a of chairlift time.

#20 ·
Thanks a bunch guys, I appreciate your feedback heaps.

Here's some more info;
I can go either Feb 10th - Mar 22nd or Jan 13th - Feb 23rd. I'm leaning more towards the feb 10th date. Which would you choose?

I haven't done alot of backcountry and I know what happens to people who ignorantly think it's no big deal, so I'm planning on spending as much time on introductory and guided bc tours. I'm travelling alone so hopefully I can meet up with some other riders.

Just hitting up google I've come across NC Mountain Guides, KAF adventures and Alpine Institue in WA and Rare Earth and Oregon Ski Guides in OR who have the type of thing I'm looking for. If you can think of any more could you let me know? That would be heaps appreciated!

#21 ·
Consider doing the 10th and hitting up...Baked 2015 Legendary Banked Slalom • Feb. 2015...February 19-20-21-22 • Thurs-Fri-Sat-Sun.

And while there...get your noodle wet...the bc is very accessible and would likely be able to tag along with folks heading out the gate...lemmings we are. Might look at Baker's "mec" (mtn. ed. courses...avy) pretty darn good and great price compared to "other" courses....but sign up asap...cause they fill up fast. If you do a MEC course you will meet folks and perhaps plan a tour.

During the race, local (Glacier) lodging (vac house rentals) gets tight and spendy. However there are lots of folks that camp/rv/van in the parking lot...only time Bakes has night life...lol.

Anyway...pm once your plans get more arranged...and will try to meet up.

#22 ·
So I booked five weeks accom in Bend and got a shuttle and ski pass for Bachelor (that was an ordeal - the webstore definitely isn't set up for Australians).

Now I gotta figure out how to get up to WA. I'm thinking I'll hire a car for about 4 days and drive up if I can find someone who wants to cruise up too. But I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

#24 ·
5 weeks in Bend: Hope U drink beer, lol. I used to ride a lot at Stevens and Baker and now Bachelor is my home Mt; once you ride up there in Washington you wont even turn at Bachelor, haha..... Bachelor is a great Mt tho: Good snow, and nice long runs with lots of natural hits.

#25 ·
Haha, yes - I'm looking forward to that sweet Oregon beer.

It's not like I'm JUST in Bend, it's more a basecamp. I've gotta cruise back to Portland a few times, want to camp up at Smith Rock a little bit and do some climbing if its not too cold, heaps of stuff.

I'm more stoked to just hang out in predominately one spot though. This winter just past I did two weeks in Canada (KH, Rev, Nelson etc), two in Colorado, two in Japan and just felt that moving around that much was a pain in the ass.

Annnd I never used to ride park but the NZ season just past was pretty average if you weren't splitting or doing heli so I started riding more park ... now im kinda hanging to do a heap of park rat days at bachelor haha.

#29 · (Edited)
There is one resort in WA with great snow, great terrain and has lodging at the base of the slopes and that is White Pass. It has a great vibe (non corporate) and easy access to BC terrain if your into that. Highly recommend.

Also, if your staying in Bend to go to Bachelor you can also check out another resort near Bend (actually closer) called Hoodoo ski area. Fun little resort and if you feel 'experimental' rent one of their ski bikes.

#30 ·
AGREE! Except I dont about snow bikes; they look sketch.. White Pass is definitely one of the hidden gems of the Northwest; especially on a weekday-pow day.
If you're in Bend and the snow levels are low and dumps are good U can hit Hoo Doo and Willamette Pass as well as Bach. Willamette has some great, steeep terrain and good side country. BUT, The Weather has to be right AND U got to hit these places on a weekday for the best shred.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.