Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my buddy is buying is GF a board she is 135-140. I was thinking a 150-152 does that sound right? Intermediate rider no park.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I'm assuming 125-140 is her weight?

What's her height, that plays more into sizing than the weight.

Assuming she's not abnormally short and squat, or giraffe tall, a 150-152 sounds reasonable.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'm assuming 125-140 is her weight?

What's her height, that plays more into sizing than the weight.

Assuming she's not abnormally short and squat, or giraffe tall, a 150-152 sounds reasonable.
On the contrary...Weight being the biggest factor. My wife in that weight range is very comfortable on a 145-147. Also depends on riding style. If she is a big mountain rider, then obviously size up a bit. for all mountain riding with low to average ability I would lean toward 143-147 tops.

·
Moving to the dark side...
1,428 Posts
I always thought height was more important as well...

Being that i board will know how much weight it on it, but isn;t intelligent enough to know how tall that person is... ;)

:giggle:

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
I think the old guard thought that your board should fall between your chin and your nose when you were sizing it. But if you really think about it critically, the board doesn't give two shits about how tall you are.

Think about engaging the sidecut of the board on a carve or just riding toe/heel side. Does the board respond based on the amount of pressure and weight applied, or based on how far away your knees/shoulders/head are from the board?

That's the easiest way for me to think about it I guess.

·
1,428 Posts
I think the old guard thought that your board should fall between your chin and your nose when you were sizing it. But if you really think about it critically, the board doesn't give two shits about how tall you are.

Think about engaging the sidecut of the board on a carve or just riding toe/heel side. Does the board respond based on the amount of pressure and weight applied, or based on how far away your knees/shoulders/head are from the board?

That's the easiest way for me to think about it I guess.
Exactly, boards aren't that clever YET... ;)

·
Registered
10,669 Posts
I never understood the whole "between the chin and the nose" thing. Even if height was that important, there's a good 3" or so between your chin and your nose. Converted to centimeters, that's almost 8cm. When is the last time you heard someone agonizing over making a decision between say a 158 and a 166? It just doesn't happen.

Sounds to me like a ploy developed by rental shops to speed the process up. Their rep could just quickly eyeball a customer, then grab a deck off the rack and voila it's perfect! See there, it falls between your nose and your chin, ideal!

·
Registered
658 Posts
On the contrary...Weight being the biggest factor. My wife in that weight range is very comfortable on a 145-147. Also depends on riding style. If she is a big mountain rider, then obviously size up a bit. for all mountain riding with low to average ability I would lean toward 143-147 tops.
This.
My bad, early morning.

I'd size up a bit from a 143, and put her more into a 147-152 size range. My ex was 110 lbs and rode a 145. Granted, it is all personal preference, and I'm sure she'll be able to ride whatever size she ends up getting without an issue, but ya..

·
Registered
417 Posts
This.
My bad, early morning.

I'd size up a bit from a 143, and put her more into a 147-152 size range. My ex was 110 lbs and rode a 145. Granted, it is all personal preference, and I'm sure she'll be able to ride whatever size she ends up getting without an issue, but ya..
True its preference, but being at best an intermediate I wouldnt put her on anything longer than the 147, unless she is a speed demon or seeking big mountain thrills. Will be much easier for her to manuver through groomers at any given crowded resort. Hell my buddy's wife rode a 145 for years weighing around 165. She just stepped up to a 151 and finds it a touch big for her. Again, low intermediate rider cruising groomers.

Neni might argue with my logic but she is abnormal! Little girl on a big mountain slayer and can manhandle it from what I hear! :cheeky4:

·
Registered
417 Posts
To add to it...my buddy is about 6' weighing around 215 and prefers a 159. Little short IMO but to each his own. Still rather go a touch smaller than give her something she will have to fight with.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,439 Posts
Neni might argue with my logic but she is abnormal! Little girl on a big mountain slayer and can manhandle it from what I hear! :cheeky4:
HEY! I didn't say a word! Just posted a calculator, completely innocently. (Now I have to: 147 is a toy and not a board, damn! :D)
And I'M NOT "LITTLE"! 5'8 is tall where I live! Grmpfffff!
:laugh:

No seriously. I'm sure, a small board is easier to learn with. She can size up step by step.

·
Registered
417 Posts
HEY! I didn't say a word! Just posted a calculator, completely innocently. (Now I have to: 147 is a toy and not a board, damn! :D)

No seriously. I'm sure, a small board is easier to learn with. She can size up step by step.
Muahahahaha. :yahoo:

·
1,428 Posts
Are you a Smurf or an Oompah Lumpah...??? :giggle:

·
Registered
83 Posts
i think height does have something to do with board size, not as much as weight, but it does play a small role,
for example hold five pounds with your arms extended, easy right? not put that five pounds on the end of a long pole, it becomes much heavier...
see where im going with this, a taller person has longer legs (lever's) that should be able to apply more force given the same weight as a shorter person

(none of this is fact it just seems logical in my backwards brain)

edit: to the OP i agree with everyone else 145-150

·
1,428 Posts
When you stand on top of a board, is all the weight above it or to the side...???

And by the same logic, when you turn, effectively the weight is still on top of the board as the board is angled...

So weight is more important than height... I am 5'11 and weigh far too much for my board, i weigh about 190lbs but ride a 153 which is weighted for much less, it rides as it rides, and i enjoy riding it as it was designed to be ridden small, however, that is not to say it works exactly how designed...

And thinking more about what the correct way to size a board is, with ALL the different types of boards now, i don't think that even the manufacturers could say what is the perfect size for weight and height anymore...

Add into that the different riding styles of different people and you get so many different ways to size a board it gets far too confusing...

So the simplest way is WEIGHT as that is always the same if you weigh 160lbs, then it makes no difference who you are, you are always 160lbs...

:giggle:

·
The Swiss Miss
7,439 Posts
Are you a Smurf or an Oompah Lumpah...??? :giggle:
:giggle: been in Sweden once. There I actually felt little. Tiny and very thin. All these wikingish women there have been very intimidating :eek: if they're the same size in Norway, I understand your comment ;)

·
1,428 Posts
According to that, i am riding boards far too small for me...

I ride these...

153 K2 Jibpan
154 K2 Fastplant
158 Ride DH2

and just ordered

155 Endeavour Vice

Guess i just ride small boards.... Haha

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
i think height does have something to do with board size, not as much as weight, but it does play a small role,
for example hold five pounds with your arms extended, easy right? not put that five pounds on the end of a long pole, it becomes much heavier...
see where im going with this, a taller person has longer legs (lever's) that should be able to apply more force given the same weight as a shorter person

(none of this is fact it just seems logical in my backwards brain)

edit: to the OP i agree with everyone else 145-150
what your referring to is a moment (sorry my engineer is coming out in me).
Moment (physics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

basically, it's the weight (mass*gravity) times the distance away. In terms of snowboarding, your center of gravity remains over the center of the board as you engage the edges, so there really isn't a large moment. Your CG isn't in your head...imagine engaging and edge with your legs locked out (standing straight up vs. getting in an athletic, crouched stance and engaging your edge. Which stance lets you go edge to edge faster? Regardless, that has nothing to do with what the board is experiencing under foot. I would imagine that the only force the board experiences that could remotely be caused by the riders height would be the torsional flex it undergoes, due to a larger moment arm. That still isn't experienced by the length of the board, but rather by the rigidity of the board from edge to edge.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts