Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey peeps,

New to posting on the forum and not lurking. Yayz!

I see a lot of threads out there about sizing down smaller than recommended by the charts for park, but don't see much about the opposite.

Does anyone out there size up from what their board make recommends by weight and feel good about it? What do all you tall skinny dudes do?

I'm stupid skinny for my height (I eat plenty, curse my metabolism) at just under 125 lbs but am 5'10" so taller.

I know modern wisdom is that weight matters most, but I figure height matters some? So if taller than your weight would predict you can size up?

My new board is 156 cm, with the recommended weight being 130-180, next size down (my size) was 153 with weight 120-160.

I'm not into park riding, but everything else. I know long means stable for speed and groomers, but I want to be able to throw it around fast for trees/moguls as well and hop around here and there. Think I'm ok at 156? (it was a sweet deal, not 153 available...)

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Hey peeps,

New to posting on the forum and not lurking. Yayz!

I see a lot of threads out there about sizing down smaller than recommended by the charts for park, but don't see much about the opposite.

Does anyone out there size up from what their board make recommends by weight and feel good about it? What do all you tall skinny dudes do?

I'm stupid skinny for my height (I eat plenty, curse my metabolism) at just under 125 lbs but am 5'10" so taller.

I know modern wisdom is that weight matters most, but I figure height matters some? So if taller than your weight would predict you can size up?

My new board is 156 cm, with the recommended weight being 130-180, next size down (my size) was 153 with weight 120-160.

I'm not into park riding, but everything else. I know long means stable for speed and groomers, but I want to be able to throw it around fast for trees/moguls as well and hop around here and there. Think I'm ok at 156? (it was a sweet deal, not 153 available...)
Agility also comes from the sidecut and flex. If the 156 is somewhat freestyle oriented (ie tight turn radius and mid flex) you should be fine. It'll definitely float better and will be better for speed than the 153.

My wife rode a 156 all last yr and shes like 130lbs. She was ok and rode it everywhere; but prefers her new 152 which is slightly softer, tighter radius and full camber, for groomers.

I'm sure shell want to bring the 156 for when theres fresh snow.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I'm 5'11" 150 pounds, I ride a 154 but have ridden longer. A lot depends on your personal preferences and the specific board. With the right technique, plenty of lighter guys handle big boards. Honestly, I doubt you'd even notice the 3 cm if you did a blind test. I tend to set my bindings out one insert because of height. And play with it and see what works best for you.

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
When it comes to the abnormal I typically move you up and down the aggressiveness scale. Though for you being under 6 foot, it doesn't matter as much, you're not average, but you're not THAT far off. If you are that concerned about it, add 30lbs to your weight, find the appropriate size for you then, then effectively (if possible) "model down" instead of size down. A great example is if you were looking at the Arbor A Frame. The Crosscut is essentially a mellowed out version of that board, nearly identical just softer and less or no carbon. So, keep the same size as if you weight more, but instead of looking at the A-Frame, look at the Crosscut. Instead of a mid flex park board, size up on a more jibby board. That way your center of gravity wont be locked into a too small range on the shorter board, but you also wont feel underweight on it. Modeling down can be done across brands too, just depends on what you're looking for.

Strength and skill matter a hell of a lot too. I weight about 150 and ride anything (not including volume shift stuff) from a 150 to a 165. If you are a strong rider and a technically skilled rider, you can overcome "upsizing" just fine. I do it all the time. So does my protege. Easily weighs 110 on a fat day and prefers the 56 Simple Pleasures to the 51. Way under ideal weight for it, but he likes the stiffness.

TLDR; If it feels good ignore the charts.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,461 Posts
125lbs here; my preferred freeride board size is 156, because I have long legs and a wide stance, and am used to long boards and am generally old n stubborn and just like that number.

If you're tall n skinny, stance width on weight sized boards could become an issue, I.e. too narrow. If so, and you therefore intend to size up, go for a not overly stiff board, I.e. go for softish-medium flex to compensate for the lack of weight you can put on the deck. If you oversize on a stiff board, be prepared to work real hard for your turns. Every turn.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
I like sizing down as much as possible for most things except big mountain freeride that's not through trees. I used to be 6'3" 160lbs, and started on a 163W.

I have a 164W and a 195 now. They only come out when I want to ride groomers fast or there's a wide open powder day. They suck through tight spots.

Shorter is always better for tight spots like trees and moguls... It doesn't matter if you're capable of riding a long board if it doesn't fit between bumps. I think this is true regardless of your size and weight...a 151 is going to maneuver around things way better than a 162 no matter who is on it.

You have more leeway than I do. A 156 is still an average size board all things considered.

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
A freaking Texan we hired site-unseen 5 years ago. I took the opportunity to fill his feeble and fresh 19yr old brain with all my knowledge and wisdom. Oh and learnt him to ride narrow and double posi. Kid rips a hard ass heelside. Support him and his buddies by buying a Keystone Surf Club Teita (Japanese carving hand plane). He's like 5'10, 110lbs, and wears a size 6 boot. Vans, K2 Lineups, and a Niseko Pleasures 56.

·
Registered
892 Posts
That Teita is pretty cool too. I'm against getting my hands on the snow because I've got hardware in both of my arms. Maybe a Teita would give the glide necessary to make it safer on my skeleton.

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
Its a new sensation to get used to, and generally not for balls out speed anyhow. Its inspired by the Moss dudes so think that style of carving. Relatively low impact, very controlled.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts