Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to wrap my mind around women's snowboard sizing ever since I have been in the market for a new board. My first snowboard, which I had for about 14 years, was a very cheap unisex/male Lamar setup. It was 154 cm and it always felt very unstable at high speeds. When I got back into snowboarding last year I decided to get a new snowboard, and when I looked at my sizing (I am 5 ft 7, 150 lbs) I was told that I should get something close to 150 cm women's snowboard, but my sizing for a man's board is longer. I also wanted to get something that I could use in powder, and since the 154 cm Lamar was so unstable, I ended up getting a 158 cm K2 Slayblade. Well, that board is way better than my old Lamar, for sure! But, I am having problems with initiating quick turns in uneven terrain and powder, although I do float pretty well.

I also just learned that the Slayblade is an incredibly stiff board, which is probably made even stiffer for me since it is so long for me. So, I went on the hunt again for a new snowboard, one which is shorter and has more flex. I just ordered the Rossignol Diva which is an all mountain board that's a bit stiffer for a more aggressive ride, but I am terrified about one thing:

The largest size (which I ordered) is a 152 cm!!! According to the size chart for that specific board, that is the size I should ride, but I am just having disbelief that a shorter board will be able to carry me in powder and be stable at high speeds...

My question is: Do other ladies in the same weight range as me use shorter boards too and how do they handle v. male boards they have tried?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Flexibility is a function of board stiffness and relative weight. If you're at the bottom of the weight range a board will feel more stiff, and if you're at the top it will feel less stiff, and if you're way over the weight range then a board will feel much less stiff.

You were probably at the TOP of the weight range, or even over it, for a cheap 154 Lamar. Soft board + high weight = noodly feel.

You were probably near the BOTTOM of the weight range for a 158 Slayblade, which was probably "130-210." Stiff board + low weight = super stiff feel.

Looks like you're near the TOP of the weight range for a Diva 152, which rates up to 150 pounds. It will ride less stiff at that weight, for better or worse.

Mens' boards are often (though not always) stiffer for a given length. And of course My wife is your size; she rides a men's board. Depending on what you want, you might want to look at those options.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts