Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Splitboard Sizing

I’m buying my first splitboard and am going with a Prior Khyber that I've wanted for years, just need some input on sizing.

It will mainly be used for riding slack/backcountry but needs to handle some inbounds on the way to/from the backcountry. It will mostly be used around Whistler, Revvy, Kicking Horse and Baker.

I’m 5’11 and weigh 190 lbs without my backcountry gear.

Priors suggest weight range for the 165 is 140-210 lbs, and for the 170 it’s 175-230 lbs.

Khyber Splitboard Model From Prior Snowboards | Khyber Split Board | Whistler BC Canada

Based on their sizing chart it seems like I should go with the 170 but I still have the 165 in my head. Given the big sidecut the 170 should still be maneuverable in tight trees, and given the huge taper the 165 should still float super well. I think either size should be fine, I’ll be asking prior what they suggest but would like to see what you all think.

Thanks for any input,

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
The general rule of thumb is to size up 6cm from your everyday resort deck.

Keep in mind when carrying avy gear you will weigh more. For slackcountry where you can lap back to resort easy you might not need water. For backcountry touring my pack is probably 20-30lbs depending on what I need to bring. Water is the main killer. I have at least 70oz and up to 100 or more depending on the objective. Better to have more than you need. If you run out things can go south real fast. Food is a good thing to carry too. Another thing that sucks to not have if you crash due to lack of fuel.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts