Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there.
So after having searched the forum for quite some time, I have been unable to find a post that could even give me a hunch of what size of board I should probably go for. Mostly because I'm not average height, nor wear the average shoe size. I have only been snowboarding once, in Italy 2 weeks back, and I have been totally hooked by it. After having done some research around the web, I'm thinking that camber is the type of board I would like to ride.

Here's my specs;
Height: 195 cm (6' 5")
Weight: 75 kg (165 pounds)
Boot Size: 47-48 EU (12-12,5 US)

I rode a board size 160 in Italy, and that kinda felt too small. Never really made it to my chin.
Also the boots I wore stuck a bit out.
Would a Burton Custom X 164W do?

Sincerely
Cordes

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Just tried this calculator with your specs: Snowboard Sizing Guide, Size Calculator

While no calculator is 100% accurate I find this one actually pretty close most of the time.

It says you should be on a 160-162 with about a 258mm waist width. The trouble with you is you're very light for your height and shoe size. Shit I'm 10 pounds heavier than you, almost a foot shorter, with size 8.5 feet! Since it's your weight that will be flexing the board, all boards will feel stiffer to you than they should for a "typical" rider.

So for a first board I'd be looking in the 158-162 range, make sure it's wide enough for your boots, and make sure you get properly fitting boots. I wear size 8.5 shoes but have 7.5 boots. They need to be fairly snug.

A shorter board won't really hurt you, and in fact may help while you're learning. I was on a 153 until about 2 years ago, and moved up to a 159 to cope with increased weight. Shorter boards are easier to turn, and easier to learn on. Longer boards are generally faster, and more stable in the chop.

A Custom X 164 will probably be quite stiff for a first board. A regular Burton Custom 160 will be less stiff, plenty long enough, and should be wide enough without needing a specific wide board. It'll still have plenty of camber and pop, being designed for people from 66-88 Kg.

Edit: If you can find a Restricted Mr Nice Guy 160, it's a little wider than the Custom, and a little less stiff. Again, should be a great first board.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The

Thanks a lot! Yeah, I'm quite lightweight, but after the month of may, I'll begin going more to the gym to gain some weight and volume. But first I have to complete a marathon in may :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts