Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
I do the same. For some reason goofy feels more natural when skateboarding but regular seems more natural when snowboarding. I'm right handed but do many things left handed( opening doors, using phones, shooting/dribbling basketball).

·
Registered
55 Posts
So glad I found this thread. I'm a snowboard n00b - just started this season - and I've been lurking here a while.

Anyway, I surf regular, so I assumed I'd snowboard regular too. Then today, I can't remember what I did, but somehow I started going down the hill goofy. And it felt more natural, and like I had much more control. Then I kept switching between regular and goofy (regular bindings tho), and I think I really do prefer goofy. :dunno:

I tried to do a goofy pop-up when I got home (like in surfing), and it didn't work so well. I think I'll stick to regular with surfing. But I'm glad to know that some people do use different stances for different board sports . . .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Why do i do this? Started skateboarding when i was 7 or 8 and always rode it goofy. I think this is due to a couple of things. When i push or "skate" it feels sketchy to leave my left foot on the board. Also, if i were to jump off one foot to try to dunk a basketball or something i ALWAYS jump off my left foot. (which is why i think i skate goofy, so my left foot is the foot i "jump" with when i Ollie. Also when i ran track, it felt natural to have my left foot back to push out of the blocks. But i kick with my right foot.

So when i was 10 or so and had already been skateboarding for a couple years, my parents bought me a snowboard for christmas. The snowboarding salesmen told my mother to push me from behind (i didnt know what she was doing)and see what foot i put forward. I put my right foot forward and so they set up the board to be ridden Goofy footed. That new years i went to my cousins and we built a jump to mess around on before going to the slopes the next day. I remember hitting that jump with my right foot forward and doing fine, but when i got to the big hills the next day, trying to turn and balance at high speeds was SOOO sketchy with goofy stance, so we switched my bindings to regular stance and it felt so natural....ive snowboarded regular ever since.

So WHAT THE HECK?? AM i just assbackwards or something? It doesnt really matter i know, you should ride what feels comfortable. But heres the thing, riding Regular feels natural but when i ollie on a snowboard doing it goofy feels more natural and i can get much higher.

Any thoughts?? lol
I have the exact same thing but opposite. I skate regular but snowboard goofy. Both have always felt natural while doing so

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Skate, surf, snowboard all goofy but when I skateboard I push around with my right foot (I'm right footed). So when I snowboard I have to use my left foot to skate around as my right is locked in.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I used to push mongo when i started skateboarding, then learned not to. It looks stupid and balance is way off compared to regular/goofy push.
But riding regular on skateboard and goofy on snowboard.. WHAT?

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Pushing mongo looks cool imo, its hard as fuck tho.
Where is @snowklinger? Been almost a year now.

I skated mongo, although it didn't even have a name in the 80's. You can't push mongo on I snowboard trust me I tried.

*edit: The mongo hate is baffling to me and goes against why I loved skating (and other board sports). What's it got to do with anyone how I push? I'm having fun mind your own.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Some pros like Koston would ride mongo to highlight when they were riding switch in the 90s. That's how I see mongo- like mongo riders should probably switch their stance and push regular. I've got two friends that ride mongo, and it seems inferior for getting around and longboarding. No hate though. Ride mongo if it feels right. Express yourself! I'm dusting off my skateboards right now, and just found some new DVS I stored a few years ago. Stoked to ride any board at this point. I skate, surf and snowboard goofy. Right foot forward for life!

You can't push mongo on I snowboard trust me I tried.
I recently rode with a mongo skater who skates a snowboard switch. Kinda blew my mind, but it was working out for him.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I don't have any experience skateboarding, but I know that Nicolas Muller also skates goofy and rides regular, so you're not alone.
And Travis Rice surfs regular and snowboard goofy, or maybe the other way around. Maybe you're a top level pro and just haven't reached your potential yet?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

41 - 53 of 53 Posts