Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Skateboard Goofy but Snowboard Regular

64K views 66 replies 40 participants last post by  Guttersnipe 
#1 ·
Why do i do this? Started skateboarding when i was 7 or 8 and always rode it goofy. I think this is due to a couple of things. When i push or "skate" it feels sketchy to leave my left foot on the board. Also, if i were to jump off one foot to try to dunk a basketball or something i ALWAYS jump off my left foot. (which is why i think i skate goofy, so my left foot is the foot i "jump" with when i Ollie. Also when i ran track, it felt natural to have my left foot back to push out of the blocks. But i kick with my right foot.

So when i was 10 or so and had already been skateboarding for a couple years, my parents bought me a snowboard for christmas. The snowboarding salesmen told my mother to push me from behind (i didnt know what she was doing)and see what foot i put forward. I put my right foot forward and so they set up the board to be ridden Goofy footed. That new years i went to my cousins and we built a jump to mess around on before going to the slopes the next day. I remember hitting that jump with my right foot forward and doing fine, but when i got to the big hills the next day, trying to turn and balance at high speeds was SOOO sketchy with goofy stance, so we switched my bindings to regular stance and it felt so natural....ive snowboarded regular ever since.

So WHAT THE HECK?? AM i just assbackwards or something? It doesnt really matter i know, you should ride what feels comfortable. But heres the thing, riding Regular feels natural but when i ollie on a snowboard doing it goofy feels more natural and i can get much higher.

Any thoughts?? lol

See less See more
#2 ·
Wait, how are you goofy and pushing with your right foot? Unless you are pushing mongo, I don't see how that's possible. I skate reg, snowboard reg and push right foot with both, though for snowboarding, I half push on the right side with my right foot and half on the left side because the binding doesn't let me rotate my foot straight.

But in the grand scheme, it doesn't matter. Skate/ride however you can ride best then develop your switch. I know of a few people that are like that, skate goofy and ride regs or vice versa. Some of them kick a soccer ball left footed, even though they skate reg but then they ride goofy which goes with the soccer left foot. My brother throws right handed and bats lefty. Or maybe it was he throws lefty and bats right handed. I can't remember and now I'm confused.

#3 ·
Well, i guess i never really said what way i push on my skateboard or i was confusing with what i said. When i skatboard (goofy) i push with my left leg. Def not Mongo, Mongo is a whole different kind of weird IMO lol. When i push on a snowboard i use my back foot (right)behind my snowboard, if that makes sense.

Nd yeah i know it isnt uncommon for ppl to ride different ways, and it does allow me to ride switch on a snowboard pretty well for barely ever doing it. I just am kinda confused as to WHY. I mean its like saying when i drive a truck i use my left hand to steer but when i drive a car i use my right...you know?

#8 ·
HAha ive always wanted to try surfing, but havent been to the ocean since i was like 10, and didnt have the chance back then. I did do skim boarding (i dunno if thats really what its called haha Minnesota boy here) when i was in South Carolina and i always jumped onto the board goofy like it was a skateboard, but i kinda have a feeling i would surf regular.....dammit now im curios too haha

#10 ·
I've always wondered if what hand you write with has something to do with being Regular or Goofy and if someone could post a poll on this I'd love it.

I ride regular and I am left handed. However, the only thing I do left handed is write and eat with a spoon, fork left handed - everything else I do is right handed. I throw right handed, bowl right handed, swing a bat right handed, kick a ball with my right foot, use right handed scissors, etc.

My husband is totally right hand dominant and he is goofy.

So, how about a poll asking if you are regular or goofy - what hand do you write with? Just curious.....

#15 ·
WEll, i write with my right hand. I shoot Righy in hockey (which doesnt mean much) i play racquet sports i use my right hand. Bat righty in baseball, Golf righty, Kick righty.....When i play Hacky sak my right foot does most the hitting LOL...so i feel pretty right side dominant, but i snowboard regular.....anf skate goofy obv....

#11 ·
There is really no rhyme or reason to it. I am right handed and kick right footed but am goofy in skating surfing and snowboarding. A lot of this is passed from parent to child. All my kids are goofy. My best friend all his kids are regular as he is, but there are exceptions to this as well. I have a buddy who is a pro surfer left handed regular and his dad is a right handed goofy. My cousin skates goofy and boards and surfs regular. Its one of life's great mysteries. lol

#12 ·
If it's a board, I ride it goofy. However, when I skate, I push mongo. And for obvious reasons I can't do that on a snowboard. It made skating harder to learn for me on my snowboard, but in the end, I got it, and in getting it, I can now push my skateboard non-mongo if I'm feeling feisty. I'm also very much right handed. Finally, why all the hate on mongo pushers?! Who gives a fuck? As long as you're having fun, it shouldn't matter.

#13 ·
I wasnt hating on mongo pushers, i just said thats a totally different kind of weird. its not like i said "FUCK NO I DONT PUSH MONGO, THAT SHIT IS RETARDED, I HATE PEOPLE WHO PUSH MONGO!" It just looks funny is all, and i think i stated earlier that you should ride whatever way feels most comfortable, and im sure thats why you push mongo so how could i hate?

#17 · (Edited)
@JohnnyVolcom5 -- I wasn't calling you out specifically in mentioning the mongo hate, I was just calling it out in general. Look at Grafta's post right below yours. That's the kind of hate I was calling out. It happens at damn near every skate park I ride at. It's retarded and I don't get it. That's all.

#19 ·
@JohnnyVolcom5 -- I wasn't calling you out specifically in mentioning the mongo hate, I was just calling it out in general. Look at Argo's post right below yours. That's the kind of hate I was calling out. It happens at damn near every skate park I ride at. It's retarded and I don't get it. That's all.
Well im sure the people hatin are either jealous because the mongo skater is better then they are, or they are just immature high school kids. Just ignore it and keep skating the way that feels natural to you.

#18 ·
I think the OP might be broken. :laugh: I never really skated, played a bit when I was 10 that's about it. I snowboard goofy, right foot forward on slalom waterskis, wakeboard goofy, windsurf goofy.

I just thought about standing on a skateboard with my left foot on it and kicking with my right and I think I just bailed in my head! lol

Try riding switch a lot more, you might just be ambidextrous on a board or something.

#22 · (Edited)
I used to push mongo when I first started, it wasnt till I got better that I realised that not having your front foot planted on the board means you cant set up as fast for your next trick. You always have to do that double shuffle to get your foot where it needs to be, then move your back foot to the tail where as with regular pushing I can say ok Im going for a frontside flip here I will set up my front foot now before I even start pushing, drop my foot onto the tail and Im set to flip.
It is definately a function thing, the style is just a by-product.

#25 ·
Although I only cruise on skateboards, I am goofy on them. When pushed, I alternate the foot that comes forward (randomly). When sliding on ice, I slide right foot first. When pushing off for sprints, I push off my right. When jumping, I jump off my left. In martial arts, my strongest leg is my right. My fighting stance can alternate between regular and south paw.

I snowboard regular, stronger with nollies than ollies...

As someone said, no rhyme or reason to any of this. I'm all over the map on this one.

Here's what's funny to me... even though I skateboard goofy for the exact reason you do (pushing off with left leg just feels more natural), I find it very difficult skating around on snow with my left foot. Yea, I tried it once out of curiosity on the way to the lift line. It felt like my first day learning to skate lol.

#26 ·
My fighting stance can alternate between regular and south paw.
Is this for TKD? I'd except TKD because the emphasis of being able to kick with both legs for modern TKD because it's all based around point break, Olympic/WTF style competition and scoring is much more effective with ambidextrous kicking.. Moving into the realm of more traditional Korean styles, pre-McCarthy Japan, especially TKD that incorporates Hapkido there is less emphasis on ambidexterity.

Once I started boxing I found out how just right-hand dominant I actually am.

#28 ·
Yea, there seems to be a mixture of ambidexterity. I think that probably explains why some people skate one way but snowboard another and do other things with different "dominant" foot. Skating is just different enough from snowboarding having your feet free that it might trigger a different foot.

I'm purely right foot, right hand dominant. I do everything right handed, skate and ride regular, kick right footed. I need to do a JP Walker and just commit to riding switch for a long period of time, uninterrupted.

#29 ·
I'm purely right foot, right hand dominant. I do everything right handed, skate and ride regular, kick right footed. I need to do a JP Walker and just commit to riding switch for a long period of time, uninterrupted.
Here's something that'll mess with your head, do you know which eye is dominant for you? I'm right dominant for everything hand and foot related, but my left eye is dominant.

If you hold your hands up at arms length, and make a hole about 2" in diameter between your crossed fingers and thumbs. Then centre them on an object in the distance and start moving your hands back towards your face. About 12" from your face, close one eye and then the other, whichever eye is still focused on the object is the dominant one.

#43 ·
So glad I found this thread. I'm a snowboard n00b - just started this season - and I've been lurking here a while.

Anyway, I surf regular, so I assumed I'd snowboard regular too. Then today, I can't remember what I did, but somehow I started going down the hill goofy. And it felt more natural, and like I had much more control. Then I kept switching between regular and goofy (regular bindings tho), and I think I really do prefer goofy. :dunno:

I tried to do a goofy pop-up when I got home (like in surfing), and it didn't work so well. I think I'll stick to regular with surfing. But I'm glad to know that some people do use different stances for different board sports . . .

#44 ·
Why do i do this? Started skateboarding when i was 7 or 8 and always rode it goofy. I think this is due to a couple of things. When i push or "skate" it feels sketchy to leave my left foot on the board. Also, if i were to jump off one foot to try to dunk a basketball or something i ALWAYS jump off my left foot. (which is why i think i skate goofy, so my left foot is the foot i "jump" with when i Ollie. Also when i ran track, it felt natural to have my left foot back to push out of the blocks. But i kick with my right foot.

So when i was 10 or so and had already been skateboarding for a couple years, my parents bought me a snowboard for christmas. The snowboarding salesmen told my mother to push me from behind (i didnt know what she was doing)and see what foot i put forward. I put my right foot forward and so they set up the board to be ridden Goofy footed. That new years i went to my cousins and we built a jump to mess around on before going to the slopes the next day. I remember hitting that jump with my right foot forward and doing fine, but when i got to the big hills the next day, trying to turn and balance at high speeds was SOOO sketchy with goofy stance, so we switched my bindings to regular stance and it felt so natural....ive snowboarded regular ever since.

So WHAT THE HECK?? AM i just assbackwards or something? It doesnt really matter i know, you should ride what feels comfortable. But heres the thing, riding Regular feels natural but when i ollie on a snowboard doing it goofy feels more natural and i can get much higher.

Any thoughts?? lol
I have the exact same thing but opposite. I skate regular but snowboard goofy. Both have always felt natural while doing so