Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...for park riding. that much im sure of. i told myself in spring i was going to learn to skateboard for the sake of snowboarding practice.

turns out, skateboarding is super fun (different than riding obv), and a couple weeks ago i spent a saturday at the public snow sesh at woodward and holy hell. it was like i had finally had the balance and awareness that id only experienced in my dreams (snowboarding dreams are the best). learning to ride around the skatepark, riding switch and fakie, up and down walls, trannies, dropping huge bowls, grinds, slides, and the body and feet control required of ollies and flip tricks... they all transfer directly to park riding. i thought they might; my day at woodward confirmed it.

any of you park rats skate?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I'm a rollerblader. I was doing that for 10 years before trying snowboarding. Because of that I had none of the newb moments most have when starting in the terrain park. Whats also nice is that both have fed into each other. From snowboarding I'm skating faster and more confident then I ever have. Come boarding time again that speed and confidence feeds back into snowboarding.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I don't know if it's the best cross training, but it's definitely great for your overall balance and feel in the park.

In particular, how you move your body for a lot of rail tricks is very similar and 'pumping' on transition is a skill that directly translates to places like halfpipe riding.

One of my friends is part of the ex-Voleurz crew in Whistler and he actually mentions that he cheats because he skateboards goofy but snowboards regular, so it makes him feel a lot more comfortable doing a lot of switch tricks on his snowboard.

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
I'm a rollerblader. I was doing that for 10 years before trying snowboarding. Because of that I had none of the newb moments most have when starting in the terrain park. Whats also nice is that both have fed into each other. From snowboarding I'm skating faster and more confident then I ever have. Come boarding time again that speed and confidence feeds back into snowboarding.
talk about outing yourself

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,460 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lol!!! (Said in my best Foghorn Leghorn voice...). "They're sayin' rollerblades are Queer,.. I say, Queer Son" ;)

(...seems it's not considered a "manly" activity in these parts!) ;) :laugh:
parks kids call them fruit boots

(their words not mine!)

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,460 Posts
parks kids call them fruit boots

(their words not mine!)
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Honestly tho, I'm surprised! With the number of "Hot Chicks" I see rollerblading, you would think that there would be a much greater general acceptance of the activity around here! :dunno: meh, go figure! :icon_scratch:

·
Super Moderator
6,351 Posts
There's a bunch of guys (and one girl) who play "road hockey" in the tennis court enclosure up the street, all in rollerblades. Feel free, go tell them they're all guay! :laugh:

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
"what's the hardest part about rollerblading?"

"telling your parents you're gay."

Funny joke. I didn't write it though, don't yell at ME. :laugh:

·
Registered
97 Posts
The truth is no one in the park cares how many wheels you show up with as long as you take your turn like everyone else and bring your own candle.
No blades at our park in Mammoth, please. We do care how many wheels you show up with to the Brother's Skatepark. Four wheels only. No bikes, scooters, soap shoes, heelies, rollerblades, demonwheels or snakeboards allowed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The truth is no one in the park cares how many wheels you show up with as long as you take your turn like everyone else and bring your own candle.
this. a kook is a kook, regardless of wheels. at the park the bikers/skaters/rollerbladers all definitely casually give each other a hard time... but were all super stoked to see that rollerblader land his first switch-7 in the vert just the same.

respect and courtesy earn respect and courtesy... just like in the terrain park. actually, thats another solid life-lesson taught by snowboarding.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I really do have to marvel at the marketing machine that skateboarding was. When they saw their audience dwindling to a competitor instead of excepting and and becoming one like skiing companies did with boarding they set about making the other uncool. And they were wildly successful. Here we are over 10 years after blading has left the Xgames and simply mentioning rollerblading throws a good, legitimate thread off course. No mountain should be for skiers only and no public park should be for boarders only. We're all the same. We're all just selfish idiots dicking around with toys while other people starve. You don't have to segregate others to make your self feel better about the group you picked.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Brothers in Mammoth is skateboarding only for a few reasons. The local skateboard/snowboard community raised the funds for the park in honor of our fallen friend. That same group of people raise money to cover the cost of the upkeep. Skaters raised the money for a park for skaters.

Bikes were allowed in the park for about a minute a few years back. Unfortunately they couldn't play nice with others and after a few incidents they were cut.

Rollerblades have never actually been brought up since no-one rollerblades.

The biggest factor though is insurance. It costs a lot more to insure a concrete park for "anything." This is California after all.

·
Registered
90 Posts
We're all just selfish idiots dicking around with toys while other people starve.
Amen brother. But referring back to the title of this thread I too have long figured skateboarding would be great cross-training for riding. Or if nothing else give me a sliding on a piece of wood fix! I just got my first deck so I'm excited to test this theory out.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
The whole concept of built by boarders so only for boarders is funny to my. A tiny tiny percentage of boarders do the work and every boarder gets excepted. Some spoiled rich kid could show up with unscratched board and shoes and be accepted yet I show up with blades and get dirty looks. Never mind the fact that I've been at this for 14 years, have friends that board, have helped build the YMCA park and the indoor park for free, have donated to the burnside type park in my city, donated to the local BMX trails, and have helped new skateboarders at parks that were struggling when they were ignore by everyone else.

In the end though it doesn't really matter. In 14 years I've only had one instance where boarders were being bitches to me and my friends. They weren't local and I never saw them again. At my local parks I get props from boarders and I give props to the boarders because boarding is sick. It's not for me, as my dislocated wrist will attest, but I respect it to no end. Same goes to BMX and even scooters. Shit I have a T-shirt from 12 years ago signed by Rune Glifberg, Geoff Rowley, Brian Shima, and Jon Elliot. Google the last two.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts